PDA

View Full Version : z axis dead

Mitch Richardson
04-03-2011, 7:01 PM
I would appreciate anyone's help on this.
I am new to CNC.
I have a torchmate 2x4 router and vcarve pro. I was cutting an intricate design that was running fine. I went to eat dinner and when I returned 45 minutes later the router had gone haywire. It seems that right after I left the z axis dove into the workpiece and through the table. Eventually it came into contact with one of my t tracks where it apparently became lodged. Now I cannot raise or lower the z axis. All the other axises move, except z. The motor makes a humming sound like it wants to move but then starts this bad skipping sound.
What have I done?

Thanks you in advance,
Mitch

Joey Jarrard
04-03-2011, 7:23 PM
If you have not already shut everything down do so. With the power off to the CNC, try to get the Z up out if the table and away from the t-track. When clear power back on and do your homing procedure (if your machine has one). If your z is still on the fritz check all wire connections. If all check out and there is no physical damage to the gearing or ball screw then you could have a drive going bad. (call the vendor)
Please keep us in the loop. I hope this helps.

Greg Bender
04-03-2011, 9:08 PM
This might be a little out of my normal range but I have been building and servicing CNC metal working machines for many years. Seems to me if the Z axis was in the table surface and those machines have hard and soft stops then something simple like a broken belt or a loose/broken set screw might be the cause.What else would let the z axis freewheel to a crash.And I ask that because I'm curious ,I've never been around a CNC router so I don't know how there built.
Mitch,good luck on your quest to find the root cause.
Greg

ed vitanovec
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
With the power off are you able to manually move the Z Axis up and down by rotating the lead screw? Keep us posted on what happened. I have the Torchmate 2x4 as well, I have not had the chance to make anything yet.

Regards!
Ed

Mick A Martin
04-04-2011, 3:10 PM
Once you get the bit out of the table, power up the CNC and try to tog your Z axis if it does not move then check the shaft on the servo motor you might have broken the shaft, easy fix just remove and replace the servo motor.

Mick

Mitch Richardson
04-05-2011, 9:04 PM
Thank you all for your input. I spoke with torchmate and took things apart. As it turns out the set screw on the motor coupling had come loose. The z axis had enough friction to lower but not enough to raise. I was sick thinking I had broken something else; I was afraid it was the motor.
We are new to CNC and this thing just keeps getting more expensive. I have broken multiple bits, torn a cable, burned out a card in the controller, chewed up the table, and have not yet made a dime with the thing. But we will get it all figured out.

Mitch

Mick A Martin
04-06-2011, 2:41 AM
Thank you all for your input. I spoke with torchmate and took things apart. As it turns out the set screw on the motor coupling had come loose. The z axis had enough friction to lower but not enough to raise. I was sick thinking I had broken something else; I was afraid it was the motor.
We are new to CNC and this thing just keeps getting more expensive. I have broken multiple bits, torn a cable, burned out a card in the controller, chewed up the table, and have not yet made a dime with the thing. But we will get it all figured out.

Mitch

That's all part of the learning curve ..... been there and done that.

Mick

Paul Johnstone
04-06-2011, 1:22 PM

Mitch

Glad you got it all resolved. I know what you are saying about the learning curve though.
I have a homemade CNC, just for hobby purposes.. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I am not sure if I would.
I am happy with it now, but I vastly underestimated the amount of time and $$ to get to the point where I am now.
Just ordered another $180 of router bits yesterday and spent some money on software.
I still get a queasy nervous feeling whenever I start a job.. My CNC ate up two clamps a few days ago due to a mistake I made LOL.

Bruce Boone
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Talk about eating up cutters; when I used to make bike parts in titanium, the MSC Industrial Supply people would come to MY shop! Doh!