PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Gloat

Mike Cozad
04-03-2011, 5:20 PM
I just finished assembly and setup of my new Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw. It is quite an upgrade from my '70s vintage 12" Craftsman. The power alone surprised the heck out of me. I have never had the feeling of going through hardwood like it was butter on the old 1/2hp Craftsman. Anyway, the price was unbeatable. It arrived at the door with lift gate service free of charge. That's right $0... My employer has an incentive awards program. If my idea saves the company actual dollars, points are awarded based on the dollar value saved. Once I earned enough points, the saw was in the mail...

Bill Huber
04-03-2011, 6:57 PM
Very nice looking band saw, that should do the job a little better then the 12" Craftsman:D

I would say you work for a very good company that will give you dollars to save them dollars.

Paul Steiner
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
You have a great employer and you suck.

Curt Harms
04-05-2011, 7:17 AM
You have a great employer and you suck.
What Paul said. That is a very capable saw. If you're running it on 120 volts, make sure there aren't a bunch of other devices on that circuit. The starting amperage on mine is pretty substantial-40 amps or so-and lasts a couple seconds. It's fine on a 20 amp circuit with a slow trip/motor rated breaker.

Mike Cozad
04-06-2011, 9:01 PM
If you're running it on 120 volts, make sure there aren't a bunch of other devices on that circuit. The starting amperage on mine is pretty substantial-40 amps or so-and lasts a couple seconds. It's fine on a 20 amp circuit with a slow trip/motor rated breaker.

Curt,
I noticed the huge current draw right away. I power the saw from one circuit and the DC from another. Both on the same 20 amp breaker didn't work out so well :(.

But so far it is an excellent saw and a HUGE upgrade from my old saw. I am very pleased. I still need to get a few blades to really put it through its paces. I will soon.

Alan Schwabacher
04-06-2011, 9:12 PM
You have a good saw and a good employer. They have a good employee.

If you put a 1/2" 3 TPI blade on the Rikon, and a 1/4", 3/16", or 1/8" blade on the Craftsman, you'll be ready for any bandsaw cut without changing blades.

Curt Harms
04-07-2011, 7:38 AM
Alan's post made me think of one other issue and I doubt it's exclusive to Rikon. Narrow blades and ball bearing style guides aren't real happy together IMO. There's not much metal between the bottom of the blade gullet and the back of the blade for the bearing to ride on. With the cool block style guides or home made wooden guides you can bury the blade in the guides; the teeth will create their own clearance. No so with metal blocks or bearings. I bought one of the Carter blade stabilizers. Not inexpensive but they do work for tight curves and scroll-type work.
http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=440&cat_id=14

Joseph Tarantino
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
that's a beautiful saw, mike. it's hard to find any negative comments about it or the complany, so it should serve you well for many years.