PDA

View Full Version : Madrone pot and photo test

Hayes Rutherford
04-03-2011, 4:38 PM
I have been struggling with my picture taking. I'm sure a new camera, tripod, and photo background would help tremendously but I just can't afford it at this time.
Meanwhile I will continue to try different lighting and settings. The background for this picture is art paper with satin black spray paint, and the light source is a window to the immediate right. I understand a little about focus and depth of field but I really can't tell if the photo is in focus on my small computer monitor. In lieu of another camera, any suggestions what I can do with a Fuji Finepix A500 would be welcome.

The madrone pot was turned from a 6x6 burl blank to approx. 1/8" thickness and has no finish yet. Placed it in a plastic bag and turned it inside out every day for about 10 days, then just left out. I haven't decided on a finish but will probably use WIP, or Tung oil finish(not pure tung oil)

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 5:35 PM
Hayes - this is a fabulous looking pot! Love how it has warped over time! I really like the photo as well!

You mentioned the camera you are using but nothing else about it. Do you have a tripod? Are you shooting using a self-timer setting? ( I use 2 seconds) I found your manual online and you have a lot of control over the final photo - so read the manual, experiment and if you have any questions - ask!

Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Bill Bolen
04-03-2011, 5:45 PM
Gorgeous piece and I really like the photo too. The warping of the neck sure sets this one off..Bill...

Hayes Rutherford
04-03-2011, 8:14 PM
Thanks so much for the favorable comments.

Steve, I did use a tripod and the self timer. I set the camera to manual, white balance to sunlight, -1/3 on the exposure compensation, ISO 100(out of 100, 200, and 400 choices). The camera has a 256 mb card and I chose 225 frames (choices being 101, 202, 225, 322)I chose less frames because I may want to post some photos on a site where the file size needs to be pre-sized to 1024 x 800 pixels and 200kb or less. The camera was about 3' from the piece.

I will assume the focus and depth of field is at least good enough? Thanks for pointing out the manual is on line, I will check it out.

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 8:17 PM
Hayes, that shot came out pretty good on my monitor. The natural light really works with this pic. Bring your camera (and manual if you still have it) with you on Thursday, we can work on some photog skills. You could make a tripod out of wood that would work well enough, wouldn't really have to be adjustable, just build to correct height, any minor adjustments could be made with wedges under the feet.
Here is a good tutorial on photographing work. http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16

Dan

Reed Gray
04-03-2011, 8:26 PM
I just love it when Madrone does that!!!!!

robo hippy

Hayes Rutherford
04-03-2011, 8:30 PM
Thanks Dan, I bookmarked that and also thanks to Neal Addy

David E Keller
04-04-2011, 7:18 AM
Lovely! Madrone is on my wish list for exactly this reason... I love the way it wrinkles and warps.

Michelle Rich
04-04-2011, 7:50 AM
love the wrinkles! the slumping! Looks like it was just excavated from an archeological dig!

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2011, 7:58 AM
Hayes - I would change over to the 101 setting. It would give you the highest quality photo your camera can deliver and you can always edit/change the final size of the photo by using a graphics editing program. There are a number of free programs out there that do a really good job on resizing, color, light, etc. I use a program called FastStone (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm) and it does everything I need.

Fred Belknap
04-04-2011, 8:28 AM
Nice, it looks organic.

Hayes Rutherford
04-04-2011, 9:48 AM
Hayes - I would change over to the 101 setting. It would give you the highest quality photo your camera can deliver and you can always edit/change the final size of the photo by using a graphics editing program. There are a number of free programs out there that do a really good job on resizing, color, light, etc. I use a program called FastStone (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm) and it does everything I need.
Steve, I will change back to the 101 setting. I found a way to resize on my old Macbook. For anyone else that doesn't already know: First export the photo from iPhoto to the desktop with the desired pixel size. View it from the desktop(automatically with Preview) then click on "Save as" when you do this a "quality" slider appears. Depending on how large the file size was, simply drag the slider back a little. Not as precise as a program with a specific function, but it works. Will check out Faststone but not much seems to work on an older Mac.

David Reed
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
You scored with this nice burl. The form you chose is very well suited to the natural occurring deformations with the drying. I especially enjoyed what the rim did. It looks a lot like an old hand hammered metal shape. Nice job

jwjerry w kowalski
04-04-2011, 2:38 PM
Wow,

I love the way this changed shape to give it that organic look, a one of a kind piece.

Jerry