PDA

View Full Version : Tool chest

Dave Lehnert
04-03-2011, 2:13 PM
Got to reading about the Seaton tool chest below.
For some time now I have been wanting to build a chest for the old tools I have collected over the years. Would like it to be a tool kit of sorts. Not just a box to hold everything. For example, it would hold a hand plane not the 20 I have.

Would like to see what others have made. What seems to be the ideal size. ETC.....

Jim Rimmer
04-03-2011, 7:20 PM
You didn't attach the picture or Link you were referring to. :rolleyes:

Stu Gillard
04-03-2011, 8:14 PM
Studley made this ... click here (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=710_1301768433)

Although it takes three people to carry it :D

Andy Margeson
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I recommend that you buy Jim Tolpin's book on tool chests. It contains a good survey of historical and current types. The North Bennett Street School chests the students make seems like they might be a better fit for you than traditional tool chests, which were intended to hold all of the owners' tools. However, if you are interested in the latter you might look at the one Chris Schwarz made on the PWW site.

Steve Thomas
04-03-2011, 11:31 PM
2nd that ^
Great book.

Dave Lehnert
04-06-2011, 9:35 PM
You didn't attach the picture or Link you were referring to. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was referring to a thread that was below mine at the time. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163375-Seaton-Tool-Chest-Router

Dave Lehnert
04-06-2011, 9:36 PM
I recommend that you buy Jim Tolpin's book on tool chests. It contains a good survey of historical and current types. The North Bennett Street School chests the students make seems like they might be a better fit for you than traditional tool chests, which were intended to hold all of the owners' tools. However, if you are interested in the latter you might look at the one Chris Schwarz made on the PWW site.

Thanks for the info,

I was looking at POP WOOD site and could not find what you were referring to. Do you happen to have a link?

Andy Margeson
04-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Here it is:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/benjamin_seatons_tool_chest

Jim Neeley
04-07-2011, 1:23 AM
Third, fourth and fifth tolpin's book.. if you like looking at tool chests / cabinets (or are considering building one; there's one in my future) it's perfect inspiration and idea material!! :)

Jim Matthews
04-07-2011, 8:30 AM
The chest, empty will be substantial.
I made a simple tool box, following Tom Fidgen's design. It was built entirely with hand tools.
From this project, I gleaned two notions - hand cutting dovetails is easier in practice than theory, bandsaws were invented for a reason (resawing is a tedious chore).

Straight from the plans, the dimensioned stock - alone - weighed nearly 9 pounds.
I reduced the thickness where possible by 1/2, which has no doubt compromised strength but I can carry it from the car with tools without assistance.

The Seaton chest will require several strong backs to shift, if each drawer carries a tool.

Jim Neeley
04-07-2011, 2:14 PM
I've assumed the Masters with these big boxes had a couple of indentured apprentices whose job it was to lug them around. <s>

John Powers
04-07-2011, 2:21 PM
I have half of a two car garage currently home to a 12 foot boat project. If you offered me the old masters original tool chest I'd have to turn it down. If I can't hang it from the ceiling it doesn't get in.

Gary Venable
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I just attended an event a few days ago with Chris Schwarz and he is coming out with a new book on tool chest called the Anarchists Tool Chest. One of the things he mentioned is that the Seaton chest he built has not held up well and has several issues with how you work out of a chest. He spent half a day talking about tool chests. The book is coming out of Lost Art Press and not the POPWOOD. You can read about it here: http://lostartpress.wordpress.com/category/the-anarchists-tool-chest/

-Gary

john brenton
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't want to have the Seaton tool chest...I'm too much of a slob for all that. I built a lame wall hung cabinet for space reasons only, but I'm thinking about making a tool chest to put under the bench instead. All that organization seems a little anal to me.

Russell Sansom
04-08-2011, 12:15 PM
My big problem with chests is that the top surface makes a perfect place to set things. Even the chest from age 9 that my grandfather used to get me started as a woodworker which sits under my bench has wood scraps sitting on it. Drawers work best in my case.
But in response to the OP, it's hard to find the spot between too heavy and too small. I'm finding even the 20-30 pound chests too heavy to push around the shop. So, weight is the limiting factor for me.

Bruce Haugen
04-08-2011, 1:51 PM
Something like this Gerstner rolling chest has been on my list for a few years. My wall space is very limited, and having something I can move to where it's needed, or move out of the way entirely, fits the bill pretty well. While I love and am inspired by the Studley chest, it's not practical for me. My array of tools changes and the question then arises of what to do with the ones that don't look right in the chest.

george wilson
04-08-2011, 2:13 PM
The Studley chest is quite a piece of engineering of space. However,it does look like you'd have to remove several tools to get to the one you want,in some cases,especially what look to be the chisels. Not the handiest thing to have to do in a busy working day. Maybe I'm wrong,not having had the pleasure of examining the chest closeup.

None the less,it is a thing of beauty!!

There is another great chest you never see. It is a patternmaker's tool chest in the Mariner's Museum,in Newport News,Va.. The chest itself is beautifully made,but I think the owner must have made many of the tools. I have never seen claw hammers like in the chest. I have not been able to see inside the chest too much as displayed. I mean to get a special private viewing one of these days,where I can examine all of its contents first hand. Should have done it when I was still toolmaker.

john brenton
04-08-2011, 2:44 PM
I was thinking of the Studley chest when I made my comment...not the Seaton chest. My mistake. The Seaton chest is a totally reasonable chest to make.

The Studley chest is quite a piece of engineering of space.

Niels Cosman
04-08-2011, 3:09 PM
+1 on gary's comments on the seaton chest and the schwarz's book. I hear his talk fantastic talk at NWA and I am eagerly awaiting reading his book!
Chris, has used his copy of the seaton chest extensively and has some really valid points about it's relatively poor design interms of durability. One of the important things to consider about that chest is that it wasn't really ever used. If i was was going to build a chest that I wanted to last generations I would probably wait a couple of months for Chris's book.

Andrew Nielsen
04-10-2011, 7:17 AM
A question for Jim Matthews - have you got any pics of how you arrange the tools in there ?

It looks great BTW !

Reid Adams
04-10-2011, 8:15 AM
I made this one in the early 1980's, I've always called it a tool box, I think of a tool chest as being much larger. It's made of cherry left over from a cabinet build. It is 32" wide, 18" tall and 10" deep. It's pretty heavy, but I still carry it by myself (it seems to get a little heavier with every passing year).

http://www.coferadams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cherry-tool-box-front-view-B.jpg

http://www.coferadams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cherry-tool-box-front-view-open-03-b.jpg

http://www.coferadams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Cherry-Toolbox-03-b.jpg

http://www.coferadams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Cherry-Toolbox-drawer-01-b.jpg

george wilson
04-11-2011, 3:16 PM
I got 2 rolling chests at Costco about 10 years ago. Except for having to re glue and screw their lids down(covered by the felt(ish) top layer,they have held up just fine,at 1/10 the cost of the Gerstner. I have one pretty full of files. No drawer bottoms have fallen out,or warped down so bad they couldn't be pulled out. just lucky I guess. An old HF tool box I have had for 20 years or so,is loaded clear up with endmills. Very heavy for any chest. It has held up,too. Has metal bottoms. I have heard of import drawer bottoms falling out,though with my total of 3 this has not happened.

Jim Holman
04-11-2011, 7:31 PM
Here is one I restored last year. Started as a flea market derelict.

Zach Dillinger
04-11-2011, 9:14 PM

That's a beaut Jim! Nicely done!

Dave Lehnert
04-11-2011, 11:17 PM
A lot of good pic's. Thanks!

I guess my idea is a chest that would hold my best hand tools I find out in the wild. May or may not use it in the shop. Just kinda something I could pass down maybe. ( or something the family can say "What the heck do I do with this) LOL!!!

Jim Matthews
04-12-2011, 7:58 AM
I'll take some pictures, and send them off to you.
FYI - the important dimensions should be set off the tools you carry. I set the width from two nestled saws, and the height from having a few things stacked.

While the original design functions as a portable trimming station, it's just a tote for me.

Pics to follow...

Trey Palmer
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM

That looks awesome, Jim! Thanks for posting.

Was the chest interior already finished out or did you make the tills? Did you do any veneering?

What are the dimensions?

The reason I'm asking questions like a 3 year old is that I have a cabinetmaker's chest with a bare interior, bought from a guy who was selling off his stuff and getting out of woodworking. I want to build out the interior and use it.

john brenton
04-13-2011, 1:30 PM
Are those kerfs in the front section for your backsaws?

jim goddard
04-13-2011, 2:04 PM
Jim
Is your box meant to carry a subset of tools to a job site vs a permanent storage container? If a carrier 1/2" is plenty. I built something similar exc not as deep. I've had mine filled to overflowing w/ tools and while its heavy I could have loaded again as much w/o a problem. In retrospect Im glad I didn't make it any deeper b/c fishing things out would be a pain + the tendency to put tools on top of one another would be great. BTW copied mine from a pic in a Dana Story book.

Noah Barfield
04-13-2011, 4:31 PM

Wow! Beginner's question: why is the outside painted gray whereas the inside is stained?

Johnny Kleso
04-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Here is what my plans are to make some day..
McFeely's at one time sold the plans but cant find them anymore
I think this is Gary Ragowski's tool box

Either this or a rolling cart with my power tools and hand tools I use most in it..

Matt Evans
04-13-2011, 7:32 PM
Just today I sketched out plans for a large cabinet like that, Johnny. . .

Mine is going to be simpler, and on wheels, but I am stealing the coffee cup holder idea. (I don't go anywhere without my coffee!) I was also thinking of putting a plane till on one side and a saw till on the other, but may not do that after all. I like the sleek, classic lines that chest has. . .

Jonathan Spool
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Inspired by this thread, I ordered a copy of Jim Tolpin's "The Toolbox Book"
All I need to say is Wow. If you don't have it, get it.
Johnny, funny thing is that cabinet you posted above is the one that is my favorite (must be the coffe cup shelf that kicked it!)

Trey Palmer
04-13-2011, 11:43 PM
My big problem with chests is that the top surface makes a perfect place to set things. Even the chest from age 9 that my grandfather used to get me started as a woodworker which sits under my bench has wood scraps sitting on it. Drawers work best in my case.

I've thought of this too. I'm not neat or organized, and every horizontal surface tends to accumulate stuff sitting on it.

I think many traditional chest users let them sit open while they're working at the bench.

I like the idea of having a chest with tightly integrated tool storage with a place for everything, just to help me stay more organized.

Matt Evans
04-14-2011, 1:15 AM
I have been looking for the plans to that cabinet as well, Johnny, and I can't seem to find them. Shucks.

Jonathan Spool
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Johnny, Matt,
The plans are available here: http://www.nicks.ca/AF.work.html
Just scroll down a bit

And here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00024W818/ref=nosim/wiiresandnew-20

Jim Holman
04-15-2011, 8:11 PM
Most of the veneer was replaced including the drawer fronts. I had to replace the saw tills and at least 3 drawers. The sliding till in the bottom was missing so I veneered s piece of QSO with rosewood veneer, both sides. The chest is 26" deep. 44" long and 28" high. I keep it full of "good" tools.

george wilson
04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
The large,old tool chests that were just made of pine outside,or some other cheap wood and painted,were made to be shipped around from job to job,or knocked about in bumpy wagons. Their outsides took a beating regularly. They were also used as workbenches sometimes on job sites,and got further beaten up. Their interiors could be made nice,though,to show the owner's skill. Often they were apprentice masterpieces,made as final proof of their completed learning.

Mark Baldwin III
04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
The large,old tool chests that were just made of pine outside,or some other cheap wood and painted,were made to be shipped around from job to job,or knocked about in bumpy wagons. Their outsides took a beating regularly. They were also used as workbenches sometimes on job sites,and got further beaten up. Their interiors could be made nice,though,to show the owner's skill. Often they were apprentice masterpieces,made as final proof of their completed learning.

In Jim Kingshott's Dovetail video, he says that every cabinet maker was judged throughout his career by the quality of his tool chest. The inside of his chest was awesome! The outside (though still gorgeous) shows the wear of the years. I'm in total awe of some of the tool chests that are out there. They are nicer than much of the fine furniture that sells today!

Jim McGee
04-16-2011, 6:52 PM
WoodCraft sells the plans for the freestanding tool cabinet in the post by Johnny Kelso.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080491/29561/Tool-Cabinet-Plan-AFD-277.aspx?refcode=05INFROO&gdd=412840

Mike Olson
04-16-2011, 7:25 PM
I have been putting one together quickly as a means to store my users since they will be in storage for a month while we are between houses. Plus i'll need to use it until I get a decent workbench built. It's put together with pocket screws so nothing fancy but it's going to get the job done.

Everything is made from 3/4" pine, mostly gotten from the cut-off bin at HD
The main chest is 36" wide by 16" deep by 11 1/4" high.
The removable shelf is 27 1/2" wide by 14 1/2" deep by 7" high.

Trey Palmer
04-17-2011, 2:13 PM
Most of the veneer was replaced including the drawer fronts. I had to replace the saw tills and at least 3 drawers. The sliding till in the bottom was missing so I veneered s piece of QSO with rosewood veneer, both sides. The chest is 26" deep. 44" long and 28" high. I keep it full of "good" tools.

Wow, that is gigantic. It's definitely at the "big end" according to Tolpin.

Did you redo the veneer on the inside of the carcase? I have never done any veneering, but every tutorial I've read for every type of veneering basically says to use a larger piece and trim when done, which obviously can't be done with interior corners. Thus I'm unsure how one would go about veneering the interior of an existing carcase without disassembly, which I don't even want to contemplate.