PDA

View Full Version : Castle plans?

Josh Richard
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Anyone have any “castle” plans that can be cut from Baltic birch ply?
My CAD II students have created an assignment. They want to design and build medieval siege weapons then laser cut them out of 1/8” Baltic birch ply. The weapons will be designed so they can be assembled and used by a four year old boy. The same class has decided that I should have my son come in and use them to destroy a castle made from the same Baltic birch.

I would like to make a castle with a few flags for them to destroy. Anyone have plans they would like to share? When the assignment is over, I will gladly share any worthwhile weapon plans.

Robert Walters
04-03-2011, 5:13 PM
Why not have the CAD students design a castle or three?

Dee Gallo
04-03-2011, 7:31 PM
Tsk, tsk.. Stop trying to have someone else do your homework!!!

Actually, I think it would be a cool challenge to design a castle that looks sturdy but breaks apart easily when it gets hit... but only in parts, so they have to hit it lots of times in different places to be destroyed. Seems like it might be easy if you don't glue every joint. Maybe some of our master model makers can give you some tricks for that.

Good luck, dee

Josh Richard
04-03-2011, 8:37 PM
Tsk, tsk.. Stop trying to have someone else do your homework!!!

Dee, are you telling me I now have detention and need to go to my room and make stuff?

I think I can use some type of tab to slide some tower walls together. The more they are hit, the more likely a flag is to fall.

I think I'll go play "crush the castle" for inspiration...

Dee Gallo
04-03-2011, 9:23 PM
hahaha Josh,

Maybe you can glue some of the tabs and leave some loose. Plus, make the walls in odd shaped sections so if one part falls, there is something ruin-like left.

Steve Clarkson
04-03-2011, 9:57 PM
I'd be very careful about making anything for a four year old.......the regulations for making toys are just too daunting.

Andrea Weissenseel
04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Hm, I must be getting old :D 'til now I was convinced that castles should be build and put together by 4 year olds - rather than destroyed ;)

paul mott
04-04-2011, 4:59 AM
Hm, I must be getting old :D 'til now I was convinced that castles should be build and put together by 4 year olds - rather than destroyed ;)

Certainly there seem to be more kids around my way who prefer Busting to Building - just take a look at the video games sales figures.

Paul.

Dee Gallo
04-04-2011, 9:41 AM
Now THAT would be a really interesting challenge: have the catapults throw castle pieces which will stick together on a base, maybe with magnets or velcro, to create a castle rather than destroy it!

Lee DeRaud
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd be very careful about making anything for a four year old...They're teaching CAD to four-year-olds?!? :eek:

Ed Mihalack
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
1. Look for Google Sketch Up castles I think the program is still free. They used to have a gallery of a million sketch up designs.
2. How about a "Lego block wannabe castle" made with Styrofoam. The walls will collapse when battered by the trebuchets but can be rebuilt.
Ed

Josh Richard
04-04-2011, 1:10 PM
They're teaching CAD to four-year-olds?!? :eek:

no, they just act like it...

Michael Kowalczyk
04-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Well I personally would rather see students learn and value how to construct something instead of being destructive, unless of coarse you turned it into a structural engineering project to see who's design was the strongest given the same materials and a report from them saying why they designed it that way, why they choose that type of joinery and this type of adhesive. I think the school would appreciate that much more than just building for the purpose of destroying.

There was a show called "Catch it you keep it" that had an interesting theme but this could be taken to a different level obviously. Team work is important because there is always more than one way to make a box and being able to collaborate and decision making skills are paramount in business/workplace.

Josh, you have a lot of influence there so here's a chance to steer the kids into a constructive mind set instead of the video game and text messaging zombies :eek: we see walking around. Just my humble opinion.

Dee Gallo
04-04-2011, 2:15 PM
+1 for Michael's point of view. Perhaps a redesign to have your students make some building machines? Every kid likes to play with cranes, forklifts and pulleys. And those grabby claw things too!

Lee DeRaud
04-04-2011, 2:16 PM
There was a show called "Catch it you keep it" that had an interesting theme but this could be taken to a different level obviously.I'm having flashbacks to an old Firesign Theater bit by that name, where the "prizes" were dropped off a tall building.

"Oh sure, Johnny, your castle can hold up to a wimpy little catapult, but let's see what happens when we drop a piano on it..."

George Brown
04-04-2011, 2:24 PM
I saw SketchUp and it is an awesome piece of software, but has anyone read the license agreement? Installing it allows Google to collect information from your computer about your activities (not really specified exactly what), ship that info to any of their locations (offices?) worldwide, and use it for whatever they want. I'm not sure I like that. Any opinions, or am I just paranoid?

Josh Richard
04-04-2011, 5:10 PM
Well I personally would rather see students learn and value how to construct something instead of being destructive ... a chance to steer the kids into a constructive mind set instead of the video game and text messaging zombies :eek: we see walking around. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Michael. I do try to have a "hook" to engage and keep students focused. The assignment has a few goals, the primary is for students to design for a given demographic, 4-8 year old boys. The secondary goals are
(1) to use finite resources (one 12" x 18" sheet of ply) to make an object
(2) build a movable object using flat stock
(3) examine historical technologies and apply that to modern day.
(4) correctly plan and use CNC equipment
The hook for this assignment is for a 4 year old boy to operate the designed objects safely. If I just taught all four objectives, kids would be using phones and thinking about blasted video games. By using the hook I don't have cell phone and video game issues in my classroom!

Josh Richard
04-04-2011, 5:13 PM
+1 for Michael's point of view. Perhaps a redesign to have your students make some building machines?

Dee, I just acquired some large syringes and tubing, the next assignment is to design and make hydraulic arms

Dee Gallo
04-04-2011, 5:27 PM
Dee, I just acquired some large syringes and tubing, the next assignment is to design and make hydraulic arms

Sounds like you've got the whole year covered! Good planning!

There are some other things you might like to put in the vault for future use:
1. there seems to be a fascination for building models of existing park/campground/scout retreat areas (more than just buildings)
2. for a centennial or whatever, recreate Main Street from years past
3. I had a class team competition once for designing a theme park, it was a huge hit for teams of 3-5 students
4. holiday displays are always popular, but a nice twist would be a class designed "mascot" who appears in seasonal gear/scenes for display in a school lobby or in a case made by the class and donated to the school

Michael Kowalczyk
04-05-2011, 6:51 PM
Hey Josh,
I guess 4 is a good age to start at since I think that is when they stop putting everything in their mouth.:D

Good to see the other objectives cover a wide spectrum.

On a side note I see you are in Lancaster. We traveled from Berlin, Ct to Lancaster just about every summer from 1965+- to 1973+-. My Aunt & Uncle lived there and we went by the Channel 8 station with the big white fence around the property to get to their house. Also went to Hershey's and Dutch Wonderland several times. Wow a short trip down memory lane. OK so I just started singing "We've only just begone" by The Carpenters in my head because that's were I remember listening to it (it was a 45 record) for the first time with a girl named Jody, at her house, that was across the street from my Aunt & Uncle's.

Well keep them kids thinking and using their heads for more than a hat rack. ;)

Keep us posted and ...

Michael Kowalczyk
04-05-2011, 6:56 PM
Josh, I forgot to mention that maybe you can check into Rhino 4. It is cross platform and your students can learn the 2D side fairly quick then if they want to take it further can venture into 3d modeling. Files can be used for laser, CNC, Rapid prototyping, and many other categories.

Chuck Stone
04-05-2011, 7:38 PM
There was a show called "Catch it you keep it" that had an interesting theme but this could be taken to a different level obviously.

Well.. it isn't a good strategy for Date Night anymore...

Mike vonBuelow
03-09-2012, 8:00 PM
http://www.stormthecastle.com/catapult/catapult-game.htm gives you the catapult piece

pete hagan
03-10-2012, 7:17 PM
Here are some plans for both the catapult (actually a trebuchette) and some castle pieces. These guys got huge funding on kickstarter and now they bought their own laser. Interesting guys.

http://www.em-labs.com/pages/trebuchette-design

Eric Ucci
03-10-2012, 8:36 PM
Josh,
I don't know if someone mentioned this already. But, you should check out http://www.woodmarvels.com/
its not exactly what you're describing, but plenty of castles and seige weapons.

Personally, I've used one of these trebuchets
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803756771/trebuchette-the-snap-together-desktop-trebuchet
an they are very cool. They also make little targets that you can aim for.

Also, if you're talkin' seige weapons, you have to teach them about Davinci
http://www.thetoyzone.com/2009/15-da-vinci-war-machines/

David McHenry
03-13-2012, 1:29 PM
Ahhh...youforget that you have to create before you can destroy. My son was known as thegentle giant at the age of 2 because he broke everything. Even at age 9 we havea 3 x 6 foot area we use to build armies of plastic soldiers and play the lastman standing wins. We built all the catapults ourselves and he has built anddesigned two war machines himself. Right now his in the 4th grade at theadvance level with his reading, writing, and math at the 6th grade level. Iknow being destructive at a young age made him what he is today. Not because ofthe destruction but because of the thought required to build it the first timeand then build it better the second