PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12HH

Bruce Heys
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
At long last I have a 12" jointer-planer. Five guys were able to get it off the trailer and into place with moderate effort. We utilized two long webbing straps going under the tool with a man on each end of the strap. One of the guys is our former fire chief and he guided us through this surprisingly capable technique. We have used the same method to move fully loaded double sea kayaks from the surf to above the tidal reach. At any rate, the jointer infeed table took only a minimal adjustment to be coplaner and everything seems ready to go. I ran some oak and cherry through and it performs as expected.
I've had a bit of a saga in getting this tool. Back in mid-Sept. I ordered Grizzly's version of the 12" jointer/planer. It was cheaper and had a more powerful motor. Shortly after ordering I sold my old jointer and planer - big mistake. I received a postcard from Grizzly (my last communication initiated by them) indicating a backorder and then called when it never arrived on the expected delivery date. That call was repeated at the expiration of each subsequent delivery schedule. These intervals were always 4-6 weeks out. With Jet's St. Patrick's day price reduction I finally wized-up and cancelled the Grizzly order. I purchased the Jet tool from Barbo Machinery. They are a brick and mortar store in Portland that has been in business since 1922. They have a capable service department and staff - a real pleasure to work with. It is certainly a relief to have a fully capable shop once again.

michael case
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow! that would certainly have pissed me off. Congrats on the new machine. Let us know how it works out.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-04-2011, 7:26 AM
Enjoy...I hear a lot of good things about this jointer. I would have one except for the rigging issue to get it into my basement, and getting the old jointer out. Too much hastle.

Good luck with it.
Jeff :)