PDA

View Full Version : Another Maple Bowl

Ken Hill
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I rushed a bit as I wanted to get a coat or two of oil on it before I hit the road again. It is made from a piece of that Maple I found here on my place, good grain and some spalting and a good deal of that blueish mineral staining.

I am thinking the mineral staining is affecting it in some way, I can sand and sand and once the oil is applied I get some streaking. From past bowls of this same wood, a week or so wait then a wet sand usually brings out a nice lustre with no streaks then a few more coats of MAO and a final buff and wax.

2 wipes of MAO
7 3/4 x 2 3/4

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/PC15473/1238143792_YZCqW-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/PC15479/1238143840_Rubif-L.jpg

Jim Burr
04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Real nice chunk-o-spalt there Ken. I really like the bottom...little concave with a flat...to bad no one ever really looks at the bottom:(

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Really nice bowl, I like the shape and the spalting adds interest. I"n not sure what you mean by streaking, but rather than mineral staining, the bluish component may well be due to a fungus, which might affect the structure of the wood and cause it to respond differently to sanding.

Dan

Ken Hill
04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Dan, its deffinatley mineral staining as I have been told. The only geuss I have is that the oil or finish doesnt soak in in that area as well as other areas of the wood. In the end, it all comes out uniform and smooth, everyone thats handled one of these state they feel like silk.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 2:10 PM
Good looking bowl Ken! Hope you were able to enjoy your lathe time between road trips!

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 9:21 PM
I've read that oil makes spalted wood "blotchy". Don't know if that's the prob, but I've been reluctant to use oil on spalted wood as a result. Still a pretty piece, though.

John Hart
04-04-2011, 9:55 AM
Very nice bowl, Ken. I hope you get your streaking out. It's a little odd that sanding won't solve that.

Ken Hill
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Sanding and buffing takes care of it, its only noticable after the oil is applied and dries. The only thing I can think of is the mineral stain, its not blotchy but doesnt absorb in those areas as well as in the areas that arent stained. Its hard to get to show in the pics, but large areas are almost blue due to the staining.

David Reed
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
I like the simplicity and uniformity of this nicely done bowl. I also like what you did on the bottom.
Not sure if we are all addressing the same thing re streaking, but what I think I am seeing appears to be some left over circular sanding marks near the rim of the bowl. I have had the same problem with my spalted maple turnings. With the lathe turning veerry slowly or hold and turn by hand, I use an orbital sander to take these out. This way I can sand the softer spalted areas lightly and give more attention to the harder regions so the surface does not become undulated, which can be a problem for me in spalted wood where more aggressive sanding may be required.

Ken Hill
04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Thats just the marks left from wiping on the oil...has not been wet sanded or buffed yet. I use a paper towel to apply it and it doesnt do the best job of not leaving marks when I wipe off the oil. I dont worry due to final sanding and buff coming its way in a few weeks. The "blue-stained" areas just smear until the first few applications dry.