PDA

View Full Version : Handle for my plane

Mark Baldwin III
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
This is my jointer that I built a while ago. Without a handle, it was very difficult to hold it for a level cut down the edge of a board. Yesterday I took my first shot at making a handle. It is far from perfect, but fits my hand nicely. I borrowed the basic shape from my Stanley SW saw because I like the feel of that handle. After making it, I have an even deeper respect for those of you that make those gorgeous saw handles and plane totes!:)

Jim Koepke
04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Looks real good, especially for a first attempt.

I think I have seen some where a user has attached an old saw handle to a wooden plane.

jtk

Terry Beadle
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Now that's a jointer ! Good looking for sure.

Handle is a good one, especially for a first attempt. Show's you've got talent.

Where's a shaving? What steel is the blade?
It looks like it's made with cherry sides and rock maple core. Any special sole treatment? Ipe or Lignum V?

Just curious.

Thanks for posting.

Mark Baldwin III
04-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.
Terry, here is my original post with this plane: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160062-Krenov-jointer&highlight=

In short, the inner wood is hard maple, the sole is Bolivian rosewood (love that stuff!). The iron is shop made, O-1, .250 thick, 1.5" wide. I forget what the sides are...I'll have to check. The new handle is curly maple.

So far, in use this plane is pretty decent. It takes a nice shaving, and can be set fairly fine.

Klaus Kretschmar
04-03-2011, 5:55 PM
Looks good, Mark!

You did it fine and the hang angle seems to be perfect regarding the length of this jointer. I´m pretty sure that it performs great now.

Klaus

Mark Baldwin III
04-03-2011, 9:15 PM
Thanks Klaus. I'd love one day to make a saw handle or a tote on the level that you do, your stuff is awe inspiring.
I finally double checked the wood that I used for the sides, it's Hormigo Negro. I like the grain, and the sap wood on the one side looks really cool to me.

One of the main things I took away from making this tote is that my rasp and file selection is seriously lacking!