PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Pod

Tom Potter
04-03-2011, 9:52 AM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h99/Woodchopper/DSC_0146.jpg?t=1301838724

Greg Just
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I have turned a number of banksia pods and this one is very unique - What is it?

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 2:07 PM
Tom - looks like you have been a member here for a while but this is your first post! So, in honor of the event, Welcome to posting on the Creek!

The Banksia Pod looks really good! Is it a custom grip for a fishing rod?

Tim Thiebaut
04-03-2011, 2:10 PM
I almost bought one of these the last time I was at the store...I just had to many other things that were more important right now, but one of these days I am going to get one and give it a go, the look these have is very appealing to me and want to give it a go. Not sure what this is but it looks nice, you should say hello Tom there are alot of nice folks here.

Wayne Hendrix
04-03-2011, 2:50 PM
It looks to me like it has a glass insert in the middle so my guess is its a vase, very beautiful whatever it is. I really like the combination of the black (ebony?) base and top, with the Banksia.

Tom Potter
04-03-2011, 9:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry for being short on words. Yup first post. Been lurking for a long time because you guys are the experts and I am very humbled by your work.

Bud vase is about 8" tall.

This is Banksia pod that was turned then ebony glued on the ends and then turned again. A forstner bit was used to drill a 1" by 6" hole for the glass tube. As I was drilling one end of the ebony broke off cleanly, so it was very easy to glue it back on. After sanding to 6000 grit, blo was added, then wipe on poly. The pic was taken before the poly was added.

David E Keller
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Welcome, Tom. That's a cool looking piece... Very sleek and modern. I hope you'll continue to share your work here.

Baxter Smith
04-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Welcome Tom! Very nice looking piece. My wife picked up a pod last week at a show and asked, "what could you do with this?" I will have to show her your picture. I think she will be impressed!

Michael James
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Welcome, and thanks for posting! Interesting piece.
mj