PDA

View Full Version : Lock knobs for Unisaws

Craig Ryder
04-03-2011, 9:46 AM
Just purchased an old Unisaw for $170. Model 34-450 which must be about 40+ years old but it runs well and someone put a new motor in it along the way. Runs perfect but lacks lock knobs. I see them available for about $25 each. Any other options?
I see hand wheels and lock knobs on ebay for $40.

I now have 2 Unisaws which is one more than I need. In lieu of the lock nobs I am thinking about using the cast iron top for a router table. Does this make any sense?

Bill Huber
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
What if.....

You cleaned up the saw, put some new paint on it, add the new locks and or wheels and locks. Now you will have a really good looking saw and could sell it and buy a new cast iron router table.

I would hate to see a good old saw like that go to a router table when it could still be a good table saw.

mickey cassiba
04-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I've seen folks use a tapered dowel pin behind a regular bolt that fits in the shaft. This fix was found more than once on newer Unis that were sent to the reconditioning center. Not sure if It would work on your's, I don't have my manuals here at the house. I agree with Bill, though. Fix it and sell it! No point in taking an excellent saw out of circulation. I'm sure you'll get your $50 back.

Chip Lindley
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Craig, IMO, to use an otherwise functional Unisaw as a router table is sacreligious! But, it's a free country (sorta) and you own the saw.

You stole the Unisaw, so...don't cry if you have to spend a little to complete the machine. There were two styles of lock knob shafts--stubby/short, and long/pointed. Yours are probably long/pointy.

The handwheels and lock knobs you link to are aftermarket stuff and not genuine Unisaw vintage parts. They would, of course, make the saw functional, but also make it look less than genuine.

Real:

You can watch eBay until some real Unisaw lock knobs appear, or go over and join OWWM.org. Post a WTB on their BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) forum. Those guys LIVE for old woodworking machines!!

Craig Ryder
04-03-2011, 5:33 PM
What if.....

You cleaned up the saw, put some new paint on it, add the new locks and or wheels and locks. Now you will have a really good looking saw and could sell it and buy a new cast iron router table.

I would hate to see a good old saw like that go to a router table when it could still be a good table saw.

You are right. I don't think I can cannibalize it. I haven't been around these old tools long but I am actually getting fond of them. I think I am going to fix this one up and keep it. I'll sell the newer one and use that to buy stuff.

Craig Ryder
04-03-2011, 5:43 PM
Craig, IMO, to use an otherwise functional Unisaw as a router table is sacreligious! But, it's a free country (sorta) and you own the saw.

You stole the Unisaw, so...don't cry if you have to spend a little to complete the machine. There were two styles of lock knob shafts--stubby/short, and long/pointed. Yours are probably long/pointy.

The handwheels and lock knobs you link to are aftermarket stuff and not genuine Unisaw vintage parts. They would, of course, make the saw functional, but also make it look less than genuine.

Real:

You can watch eBay until some real Unisaw lock knobs appear, or go over and join OWWM.org. Post a WTB on their BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) forum. Those guys LIVE for old woodworking machines!!

I am a bit of a heathen but I have seen the light! It will stay as a TS. Can you imagine if I had posted over at OWWM (my first post) about turning it into a router table? I think someone would have recommended counseling :)

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound like I was crying. I know I got a steal. I am just really new at this and am not familiar with sources for parts. Even if you get pretty good deals putting a shop together is not cheap!

Cheers,

Chip Lindley
04-03-2011, 9:56 PM
I am a bit of a heathen but I have seen the light! It will stay as a TS. Can you imagine if I had posted over at OWWM (my first post) about turning it into a router table? I think someone would have recommended counseling :)

Umm...more like "Burn him at the stake! Hangin's too good for him!"

Persevere! If all you need is a couple of lock knobs, they will show up, and usually at a quite agreeable price.