PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Built Router Table

johnny means
04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I recently posted a gloat about a Bench Dog cast iron router table top and aluminum fence I got a real steal on. Thought I'd follow up with the resulting router table.

It's constructed of black MCP with 3/4" BB drawers and cheap Blum vinyl coated drawer slides. Everything is pocket screwed with melamine glue. The pulls are brushed nickel. I also used double locking casters. I like the rubber wheel type, as they seem to be more forgiving on an uneven floor.

Dust collection starts at a 4" port and is through the table and through the fence.

Plenty of storage for routers and related stuff. I plan to add some pull out trays above the drawers for bit storage
This peculiar drawer allows access to the router while mounted in the table. It isn't the most convenient, but pretty much all operations are performed from above the table.

I still haven't really come up with a plan for wiring and the switch. I think I'll mount an outlet on the center drawer, inside the cabinet, then pigtail all the routers that will be used in this table.

Carl Beckett
04-03-2011, 9:10 AM
Very nice router table, congratulations!

I was smiling when I saw the drawers full of routers. How many - 8? I dont have this many, but my wife shakes her head every time I mention I 'need' another......

Bill Huber
04-03-2011, 9:15 AM
Nice looking router table, should serve you well. Just 3 questions, were is your bit storage?

The other question is do you think you have enough routers?
Do you think that the center drawer will get really full of dust?

Dave Sabo
04-03-2011, 6:09 PM
I like ,

but what is MCP and "melamine" glue ???

Oh, you never have enough routers Bill!

Jeffrey Makiel
04-04-2011, 8:22 AM
Wow...that cast iron top is impressive. I also like the way you maximized storage space.

Nice post,
Jeff :)

johnny means
04-04-2011, 8:50 AM
I like ,

but what is MCP and "melamine" glue ???

Oh, you never have enough routers Bill!

Melamine Coated Particle board
melamine glue is formulated to stick to non porous surfaces.

johnny means
04-04-2011, 8:53 AM
Nice looking router table, should serve you well. Just 3 questions, were is your bit storage?

The other question is do you think you have enough routers?
Do you think that the center drawer will get really full of dust?

the drawer is actually sealed off from the dust "chamber" and the dust collector keeps that area clear.