PDA

View Full Version : No. 32 - Old Barnwood Oak SW HF

James Combs
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I liked the form and details of my No. 29 SW HF http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162875-No.-29-Wormy-Chestnut-SW-HF&highlight= so I thought I would do a similar one from Oak that was in the same old barn. This one is larger and not so "worm eatin".

Stats:
Material = Old Oak (red I believe)
Diameter = 8.5" (an estimate, forgot to measure)
Height = 3.5" (an estimate, forgot to measure)
Wall thickness = 5/18" to 1/4"
Finish = Waco Danish Natural oil. (will later be buffed)

C&C appreciated.

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice form with a lot of character.

Jim Burr
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I like this a lot JD. Looks like some mineral staining? The grain orientation is really nice.

John Hart
04-03-2011, 5:34 AM
You sure nailed this form. Nicely done. :)

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 7:03 AM
JD, you are on a roll with this form! I love the look of aged oak - always has so much character.

Michelle Rich
04-03-2011, 7:45 AM
Love the rings around the opening..I've always had an aversion to oaks, so I don't like the wood , but the turning job is excellent. the radial lines in #2 & #4 sure give it interest

Rex Guinn
04-03-2011, 8:13 AM
JD I like the old barn wood. Saw a add on craigslist for a simi load of it for 100 bucks, thought maybe thats what you started with.

David Reed
04-03-2011, 8:23 AM
This form does have a lot of character and you executed it very well. The rim treatment is a very nice accent but the mirror image of the oval ray pattern seen from the bottom is especially cool. Not sure if this was planned or not and too bad that could not have been on top but then the stained cracks may have been a distraction. Life is all about compromises.

James Combs
04-03-2011, 8:37 AM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the comments.

JD I like the old barn wood. Saw a add on craigslist for a simi load of it for 100 bucks, thought maybe thats what you started with.

Missed the semi-truck load but a friend of mine in my church just tore down a large dilapidated barn on the back of his farm and gave me a half pickup truck load.

This form does have a lot of character and you executed it very well. The rim treatment is a very nice accent but the mirror image of the oval ray pattern seen from the bottom is especially cool. Not sure if this was planned or not and too bad that could not have been on top but then the stained cracks may have been a distraction. Life is all about compromises.

The piece is from a section of a large vertical support column that was in the barn. Being a piece chopped from the column length keeps the grain orientation pretty symmetrical but also being a 6x8 column also lead to a lot of cracking as it dried over the years.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Now this is sweet! Nice form but seriously love the wood! Great color, grain and character! You should be pleased with this one - I would be, if I had turned it!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

James Combs
04-03-2011, 1:07 PM
I like this a lot JD. Looks like some mineral staining? The grain orientation is really nice.

Thanks Jim, I don't think the staining was in the original column, it look to be something that may have stained it in it's life in the barn, maybe harness oil or something like that.

Now this is sweet! Nice form but seriously love the wood! Great color, grain and character! You should be pleased with this one - I would be, if I had turned it!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Steve, I believe I have grown attached to the shape. BTW even though it was Oak it seem to have a much tighter grain (no openess) then other Oak I have finished. I didn't soak up the Waco oil like I expected.

Roland Martin
04-03-2011, 2:11 PM
Very nice form, JD. Nice color to the oak and really like the detailing around the opening.

Baxter Smith
04-04-2011, 5:53 PM
Nice shape and great color! Amazing how pretty "old wood" can be!

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 6:54 PM
Lots of character in that wood............nice form JD!

John W Dixon
04-04-2011, 8:01 PM
JD that is really nice! I love the look of that old aged oak.

David E Keller
04-04-2011, 9:16 PM
Man, that is a sweet piece of work! The form is great, but that color is what started me drooling.