PDA

View Full Version : First turning: A Purpleheart pen

Russell Johnson
04-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Today at the Woodworking show in Houston I did my first ever lathe project. Slimline pen made from purple heart. It was nerve racking, fun and educational all at the same.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5583547721_1860be4952_b.jpg

James Combs
04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the vortex Russel. Now all you have to do is practice and work on the photography.;)

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the spinny side, a pen was my first turning project too. I bet you will enjoy using it.

Dan

Michael James
04-02-2011, 11:40 PM
That should be enough to get you up and running! Congrats.

Jim Burr
04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Now the fun starts!

Russell Johnson
04-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah the photophy sucked because I had to use my phone. Gave it to my wife and she likes it. Got some good info from the guy at the Craft Supplies booth.

Kathy Marshall
04-03-2011, 2:18 AM
Another future victim to the vortex, :eek: but don't worry, you're in good company!
Anyone want to take bets on when the lathe will arrive? :D

BTW, nice looking pen!

John Hart
04-03-2011, 5:39 AM
... It was nerve racking, fun and educational all at the same.

I forgot how apprehensive the first turning can be....To calm your nerves, just go out and buy everything you need....then turn something....then go buy everything you need....then turn something else....and go buy everything you need.... You'll feel better!! :)

Keith E Byrd
04-03-2011, 6:56 AM
John, you give outstanding advice!

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 7:20 AM
Russell, great to have you on the round side of the creek! From what I can tell, you did a great job on the pen - there will be more turnings from you in the future, no doubt!!

....To calm your nerves, just go out and buy everything you need....then turn something....then go buy everything you need....then turn something else....and go buy everything you need.... You'll feel better!! :)Want....Need....both four letter words, and I use to get confused on which to use - when. However, I have found that NEED works so much better - both for me and when used in conversation with Ms. Keeton!:D;) My linguistic skills have improved so much over the years!:cool:

James Combs
04-03-2011, 8:07 AM
Russell, great to have you on the round side of the creek! From what I can tell, you did a great job on the pen - there will be more turnings from you in the future, no doubt!!
Want....Need....both four letter words, and I use to get confused on which to use - when. However, I have found that NEED works so much better - both for me and when used in conversation with Ms. Keeton!:D;) My linguistic skills have improved so much over the years!:cool:

Definitely "need" is the correct spelling. Needs are necessary to keep from turning into couch potatoes or worse.

David Reed
04-03-2011, 8:33 AM
Welcome Russel - you will find a wealth of knowledge here and a group which will only ENABLE YOUR ADDICTION so beware.

.........Needs are necessary to keep from turning.......couch potatoes
Never turned a couch or a potato myself. Could prove interesting

James Combs
04-03-2011, 8:42 AM
Welcome Russel - you will find a wealth of knowledge here and a group which will only ENABLE YOUR ADDICTION so beware.

Never turned a couch or a potato myself. Could prove interesting

lol. Reminds me of a posting someplace on the creek where a guy made curly fries from potatoes using his lathe:eek:. He chuked the potato up between centers, had his daughter hold a platter under the potato and proceeded to fill the platter with nice long curls from the potato.;):)

Lee Koepke
04-03-2011, 8:50 AM
Pen looks good. I havent turned pupleheart yet.

Pens are a good way to use the cutoffs and opens up a whole new world revealing even more of Mother Nature's hidden treasures !!!!

Lee Koepke
04-03-2011, 8:52 AM
lol. Reminds me of a posting someplace on the creek where a guy made curly fries from potatoes using his lathe:eek:. He chuked the potato up between centers, had his daughter hold a platter under the potato and proceeded to fill the platter with nice long curls from the potato.;):)
I checked Thompson's website for a potato gouge ... I like french fries ...

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 2:16 PM
Russell - Welcome to this side of the Creek! Good looking pen! Looking forward to seeing how you handle your slide into the vortex! Have fun!

Russell Johnson
04-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Kathy I have an old lathe that I need to clean up. Thanks to Michael James I have the lathe able to work just need to clean this darn shop.