PDA

View Full Version : Moving heavy Planer to a Basement Workshop

Jim Rosengarten
04-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I found a reference on SMC about using a Power Mate to move heavy equipment. I needed to move a Grizzly planer down to my basement shop and decided to rent a Power Mate. If you find yourself needing to move heavy equipment do yourself a favor and rent a Power Mate. It made a nearly impossible job easy.189878
I posted a series of photos at http://www.pbase.com/cncjim/grizzly_planer_if you would like to see more of this move.

John McClanahan
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I have never heard of a Power Mate. Exactly how does it work?

John

Jim Rosengarten
04-02-2011, 11:59 PM
It resembles an appliance cart but the frame telescopes out or the wheels telescope down. This is done with battery power. When you are at the top step, you push a button to lower the frame down two steps. Then you shift the cart forward just far enough to allow the wheels to be lowered to the next step, Repeat. All of this is done with battery power. A slow but simple method. More info can be found at, http://www.powermate.info/ I should note I have no connection with them, just a very impressed user.

Ruhi Arslan
04-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I had a 900lb safe delivered to second floor using a similar contraption. It looked exactly like a heavy duty appliance dolly except the load platform was sliding up and down in the main handle rail. One person handled the whole thing and didn't even break a sweat. This powermate version looks like a well engineered one.

David G Baker
04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I had a refrigerator delivered by an over 70 year old man using a dolly that walked up stairs. It was one of the greatest inventions I had seen in years. All he did was align it with the steps, pushed a button and away it went. He did have to do a little balancing but not much. No sweat for this guy either.

Mike Desch
04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Jim:

What a nifty gismo.

Thanks for sharing and introducing us (well, at least me) to a new goodie that can be so useful in setting up new equipment.

I have been detered in the past by the requirement to have a means of unloading a delivery truck (with heavy shop goodies).
Now I at least know about the PowerMate.

Thanks for the info.