PDA

View Full Version : Belsaw Planer/Molder 9103, One more issue

Josh Hulit
04-02-2011, 8:54 PM
I was able to switch out my planer knives and install one of my crown molding knives, thanks for all the feedback earlier. The issue now is that I'm getting excessive vibration when I turn on the machine. Not sure if this is an issue with the counterweights being out of balance, speed issue, or something else. When I got the machine, the previous owner had a box of knives with misc gibs and counterweights. Should I use a scale to match up the sets?

Lucas G Hager
04-02-2011, 9:28 PM
Definitely match the weights. Try to get them all within a gram or 2.

Are you running both the top and bottom profiles in the planer head at the same time? If so, Stagger the knives. In other words, do not have both knives in the same slot. Also, try to run them close to the center. It really shouldn't make a difference, but for me it seems to. Might be only in my mind.

There are a few upgrades that can be done to a Belsaw to really make her purr. Search for woodmaster modifications. The Belsaw and Woodmaster are related on the family tree. The only real differences is the variable speed and the morse taper head.

I would change the double belts out for a single link belt. That is the main modification that will remove some chatter from your molder. You want to strive for as little as vibration as possible. The matched weights will make a big difference.

Good luck and enjoy

Josh Hulit
04-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks Lucas! I appreciate all the tips.

john lawson
04-03-2011, 8:45 AM
I have one of these machines and while talking to one of the sales reps about knives he mentioned something that may help you a bit.

First, as Lucas mentioned, the weights, but he went one step further and said that if possible use a weight and steel gib that is 1 or 2 grams heavier than the knife and gib. The reason for this is the weight is closer to the center of gravity, and sense it is closer it has less moment arm or weight in use. Made sense to me.

Last, in addition to the link belt Lucas mentioned, many people report that the other thing that really improves vibration is mounting the motor bracket on a hinge, allowing the weight of the motor to tension the belt. Google foley motor hinge modifications and see what you get

john

Josh Hulit
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you John.