PDA

View Full Version : A Flower For Mr DeCristoforo

John Hart
04-02-2011, 8:33 PM
A while back, David DeCristoforo turned a really cool burl bulb pedestal thing, and I recollect saying that I wanted to do something like that with a maple burl I had laying around. Well, I finally got off my duff and did it. I turned the burl several months ago, but just couldn't get it in my head what to do with it. So, I had some scraps of some nice figured Walnut, and a few sticks of Bolivian Rosewood, so I just started turning....with nothing in my mind of how it was going to end.

This is the result. Oh...and since I'm finial-challenged, I kept it short and simple. :o

Finished with AO and some beez wax cuz it's still too cold for the proper fumming characteristics of lacquer (hic..:o....'cuse me)

12" Tall and a little over 4" diameter at the NE.

Tim Thiebaut
04-02-2011, 8:38 PM
John that is beautiful, how in the world do you get it so thin!! That is amazing to me, you did a very good job on this. Tim

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 8:39 PM
Oh, that is sweet!!! I thought you said you had "no eye" for shape!?!? That is a gorgeous "bulb". I really like the way you elevated it a bit off the stem. Now I'm going to have to try that one! My only critique (and it's a big one so pay attention) is that you can't spell DeCristoforo...

PS Whenever I try to turn a form that thin, it ends up being a cause for much swearing and little else to show for it!

Bill Schoppert
04-02-2011, 8:40 PM
John, that's nice.

Roger Chandler
04-02-2011, 8:40 PM
Pretty nice, John................I see what you mean about being finial challenged..;) Pretty nice pedestal..............good to see you posting again!

Jim Burr
04-02-2011, 8:45 PM
That is a great flower and pedestal John! I'll agree with your finial assessment because that's about where I'm at with them too! Really super work!

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 9:03 PM
John edited out my "implied expletives" but know this... That is one sweet piece of work. Forget the finial... just leave the lid off!!!

Keith E Byrd
04-02-2011, 9:05 PM
I really like that - great job!

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2011, 9:17 PM
That is really nice John! Love the goblet portion! Glad to see you getting some lathe time in... gots to be good for a change!

John Hart
04-02-2011, 9:40 PM
John that is beautiful, how in the world do you get it so thin!! That is amazing to me, you did a very good job on this. Tim

Thanks Tim.....Thin? The tip of the skew is a powerful weapon. Creeker and friend Bill Stevener taught me that a long time ago.

I thought you said you had "no eye" for shape!?!? That is a gorgeous "bulb".

It is??:eek: I can't tell. :)

Oh...and I fixed your name spelling......oops :o

Glad to see you getting some lathe time in... gots to be good for a change!

You have no idea.....Haven't been in the shop in forever. Feels like heaven. ;)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. :)

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 9:45 PM
"...Oh...and I fixed your name spelling......oops..."

Gee John... I really appreciate that. I hate to have to tell you this after you went to so much trouble but look again... there's no "H" in DeCristoforo!

John Hart
04-02-2011, 9:49 PM
"...Oh...and I fixed your name spelling......oops..."

Gee John... I really appreciate that. I hate to have to tell you this after you went to so much trouble but look again... there's no "H" in DeCristoforo!

I'm going outside now and slap myself. I fixed it again....Sheesh!!
And what's worse, is that I checked the spelling of your name before I started this thread...

But I got your attention?? :)

Baxter Smith
04-02-2011, 9:56 PM
Beautiful piece. The cup looks great and I like the decorative "knob".:)

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 10:03 PM
"...what's worse, is that I checked the spelling of your name before I started this thread..."

Not to worry. I couldn't spell it correctly myself until I was about fifty...

Doug W Swanson
04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Great job! I think the form is great!

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Very nice, This type of form is going on my to do list.

Dan

Kathy Marshall
04-03-2011, 2:25 AM
Very nice John! I really like how you did the bulb portion and I like the simple lines and tapers on the pedestal.

John Hart
04-03-2011, 5:29 AM
Thanks very much all for the kind words. Maybe I'll take up woodturning! :)

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 7:14 AM
Thin is in!! John, you sure achieved a light look with the thinness of the bowl, and the curve of the pedestal is beautiful. I am not crazy about the third species wood combo, but the overall turning is wonderfully done - amazing what a sabbatical will do for one!

Bill Bulloch
04-03-2011, 7:31 AM
If you can turn a pedestal as nice as that, just why should you feel challenged by a finial? Good job on the bulb too.

Michelle Rich
04-03-2011, 7:36 AM
Gorgeous my goodness that is thin!

David Reed
04-03-2011, 8:46 AM
This is a very unique and lovely bulb shaped goblet you produced and at least at the rim, the thickness is a real winner. I also think the elevation above the pedestal is a really cool presentation. Very nicely executed pedestal as well. Re the lid, although it adds to the goblet with the 'knob' on top, with the tall pedestal and stubby finial, at least to my eye it appears unbalanced. I like your wood combinations- its nice to see something other than black for a pedestal and finial/knob

Norm Zax
04-03-2011, 9:11 AM
I like! [looks like you've started a new pigmy finial movement]

Roland Martin
04-03-2011, 9:18 AM
WOW, back in great form John. That is a sweet turning, great figure (in the wood):D It'll soon be warm enough to feed the need for laquer!

John Hart
04-03-2011, 9:33 AM
Thanks again everyone! :)

Bill...It's not a matter of turning or anything....it's just that when I realize I'm turning a finial, it explodes. I think it's a conspiracy. :cool:

Y'all are making me think I oughta rethink this finial thing though. After all, Keaton sez that he's not crazy about 3 wood combos, and I just realized that there's four!!!:eek:

I just made some new mini tools this morning. Maybe I'll see if there's still some rosewood laying around waiting to explode. :)

Roland....It's sorta warm today....plus I fired up the woodburner......I'm thinking the vase that I'm working on now, could use some lacquer!!! Woo Hoo!!! Yessir!!! Comin' off the wagon!!!!:D

hic! :o ....'cuse me.

Donny Lawson
04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I love this one. The form is "Dead on" and the lines flow with the piece all the way around.

Brian Effinger
04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Awesome form. It has all the right curves, and I love how the flower stands above the stem. It is little elements like that, that make a piece. :)
Well done, good sir.

David E Keller
04-03-2011, 3:43 PM
That's cool, John. I'm sitting in an airport looking at this on my phone, so I probably shouldn't critique anything. I agree with you about the finial... It looks tentative. Great to have you around here again.

John Hart
04-03-2011, 6:03 PM
Ok....I thunk and thunk and decided to make that finial thing. Now, keep in mind, I am not good at these. They are evil. I know it's too tall.....but the first one I tried was the perfect height, and then I decided to ram my toolrest into it while it was spinning. You know....To see how strong it was. :rolleyes:

Roland Martin
04-03-2011, 7:18 PM
Dang I hate when that happens:mad:, thought it only happened to me though! I think it looks a lot better than the knob, but probably agree it's a bit tall. IMHO, I think you've done an overall great job on this turning. Between you and DD, all's I can think about is this type of form, I'm going to 'have' to try one of these in order to get it out of my system. Thanks a lot guys, you know how addicting this all is:eek::eek::eek:!!!