PDA

View Full Version : Chip behind plane mouth

Mike Givney
04-02-2011, 6:25 PM
I've been adding to the hand plane stable and picked up a PERFECT Bedrock 4 1/2 (mini-gloat) and, along with it, a not even close to perfect Stanley#62. The 62 has no blade (which is easy), a chunk out of the top of the side plate (bad but not deadly), and a chip out of the sole in the back of the mouth. The chip concerns me as far as the usability of the plane.
Will the chip, if behind the center of the blade, effect the quality of the work the plane is capable of doing? And, if so, what are my feasible options for repair?
Normally, I wouldn't bother but if it works... I'll finally have that #62 I've always wanted for the cost of a blade !

Thanks,
Mike

Joe Bailey
04-02-2011, 7:13 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see a photo of that "perfect" 604 1/2.

Pam Niedermayer
04-02-2011, 7:24 PM
Why not insert another blade you might have hanging around, even if it's a bit narrower, and actually trying the 62? If it works, repair at your leisure. If not, worry about it.

Pam, who doesn't know that much about Stanleys because she has none, doesn't want any, ....

Mike Givney
04-02-2011, 7:46 PM
I'll see if I can figure out the upload with this new iphone for the pix. It's not a 604 1/2, it's an old Stanley Rule and Level 4 1/2 Bedrock. Kinda cool .

Good thought Pam but, this is the low angle with the blade unlike any of the Baileys so, I'm going to have to order one. Thanks, though.

Jeff Zens
04-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Mike;

A photo of the sole of the plane showing the chip would help.

Johnny Kleso
04-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Chips behind the mouth are no biggie.
Take a file and makke sure to round the shape edge on the back of the mouth I do this on all low angle and sharp mouthed planes..

It will hurt nothing other than value and your pride :)