PDA

View Full Version : Playing Around

Dean Fowell
04-02-2011, 6:20 PM
My wife and kids left for the week so im left to play on laser all week, this is what i did today, made of two peices of 1/8 birch and guled in frame ready to sho and sell,

John Noell
04-02-2011, 6:35 PM
Nice work Dean. What did you use for the dark background?

Dean Fowell
04-02-2011, 7:00 PM
baltic birch painted black, Thanks

Dee Gallo
04-02-2011, 8:34 PM
Good clean job, Dean! See what happens when left to your own devices? It doesn't always have to end in disaster or arrest...

cheers, dee

Robert Walters
04-03-2011, 2:24 AM
It doesn't always have to end in disaster or arrest...

Easy for you to say, I have bail bonds on retainer.

Robert Walters
04-03-2011, 2:34 AM
Hi Dean,

Looks good!

All, I have a question...

I have a personal pet peeve with "Competing with China".

What I mean by that is creating something with my laser that is/can be mass produced overseas and sold for pennies very much like what Dean has created (no offense intended).

For one offs, gifts for friends/family, etc I completely understand, but do any of you create and sell things that 'compete with china' (without personalizing/customizing) by chance?

If so, is it a popular item?
Do you make a good profit margin?
Is it something simple?
Something complex?

Dean Fowell
04-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Robert ,

No offence taken, I have been in the laser feild for so long and been in manufacturing, for a while I should not say but you know these super big stores that we all know about I have been asked to reverse engineer products say for a assembly line or shelving system why when they make over seas because when the big guy wants his stuff he wants it now instead of 30 days on a boat, and its american made if its made by me its new zealand made hahha but made in my good old american home, china cant get a job in today and have to someone in two days, I have fixed million dollar machines with my machine that waiting for a part is 30 days no good you need that machine running now .

so to rave on but really you need to just find that one unique product that will sell I have no miniums china has a bulk qty you have to order

Martin Boekers
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi Dean,

Looks good!

All, I have a question...

I have a personal pet peeve with "Competing with China".

What I mean by that is creating something with my laser that is/can be mass produced overseas and sold for pennies very much like what Dean has created (no offense intended).

For one offs, gifts for friends/family, etc I completely understand, but do any of you create and sell things that 'compete with china' (without personalizing/customizing) by chance?

If so, is it a popular item?
Do you make a good profit margin?
Is it something simple?
Something complex?

Robert,

Most of us here personalize things as you already know. There are some Galvo
owners here though that may be more into the manufacturing end so hopefully they
will chime in. China has quite a bit different economy then the US, so it would be hard
to compete on the basic level with them. On the higher end then yes, I think you can.
This can be found in those who have tile work of stock sizes and images for interior
design work.

I do have some questions about China purchases. Nothing against
China, Mexico and any other countries that provide products for us. I think that
wherever the retail business is located they should try to buy products from their
local or country when possible.

Being from the USA I do try to buy products made stateside when possible. This last
year I have succeded in tracking down over a 100 items I stock made stateside, I
make use of acrylic sheeting made stateside and design awards from it.

This last year in talks with JDS I expressed my interest in them labeling Made in USA
by the respective products in their catalog. You'll notice they have in the 2011
version. (I sure others have recommended that to them also) I believe they are the
first main vendor in our industry that has done so. Time will tell if others follow suit.

Many items I never would have suspected were manufactured here, most IPI and
Rowmark plastics, many metal sheet stocks even quite a few composite plaques. The
main thing missed was acrylics.

This year I plan to focus more on these products and adjust my inventory to reflect it.

This does take extra time, effort and work, but I feel it's worth it. Some stateside
wood shops are competitive in pricing if you seek them out. JDS has a new Premium
Line of Alder and Walnut plaques. I am switching over to the Premium Made in USA
plaques. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, not too much, but it is a nicer plaque. (better
finish and color & grain matched).

The US can be competitive, but it does take an extra effort and ingenuity.

Everything in my shop has at least one sticker, it says that it was made in my shop
with basic contact info. The ones that are made stateside also have a second one..
Made in USA!

Ok my rant is done!......

I now return this thread to it's proper owner!:D

Dean that is a nice piece of work. So much nicer than burning the image into a
plaque. The contrasts really give it dimension. Keep up the good work & sharing
your projects!

Marty

Dee Gallo
04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Robert, I recommend you start a new thread for the discussion of "competing with China" and you'll find quite a few of us doing things that make us money, can't be made in China and/or are aimed at a niche market which has no Chinese competition.

Let's leave Dean's thread alone! His fine work is all we need to worry about here.

cheers, dee