PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wood ID

David Pearson
04-02-2011, 5:37 PM
Not sure what this wood is or if I should go back and get more... Does it look familiar to
anyone? I've included a picture of the tree to help.

189845189846189847http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Roger Chandler
04-02-2011, 6:03 PM
I cannot say for sure, but it has a similar grain appearance and color to Osage Orange.......[Bois 'd arc.] I have only turned a couple of pieces of OO, but the close growth rings certainly are similar, and the coloration is also...............I am sure there are much more knowledgeable folks on this forum that could either confirm or tell what is is.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-02-2011, 8:30 PM
Not certain David, but it looks a lot like like Mulberry, though fresh cut Mulberry is usually a more yellow color, bark and tree shape is right for Mulberry, also the bark tells me it is not Osage, that I do know for certain.

Roger Chandler
04-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Not certain David, but it looks a lot like like Mulberry, though fresh cut Mulberry is usually a more yellow color, bark and tree shape is right for Mulberry, also the bark tells me it is not Osage, that I do know for certain.

Thanks Leo.........I was hoping you would chime in........I only took a stab in the dark related a bit to wood color.

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 9:01 PM
Can't help with the ID, but if it's free, go back and get more. :)

David Pearson
04-02-2011, 9:51 PM
The color is more yellow than the pictures show. I think I'll go with Mulberry for now. At least until the leaves come back and I can verify. Thanks Leo!

John Hart
04-03-2011, 5:32 AM
Yup...Leo hit it. We have mulberry all over the place. The birds love the berries.....and they like to digest them and deposit the lovely colors on my car!! :)