PDA

View Full Version : RV Park SuperGuide

charlie knighton
04-02-2011, 2:10 PM
anybody have an opinion on travel to southwest, camping in rv parks with shower, do they allow trucks with awning and air mattress and propane cookers????

what type of fees should i expect

spring or fall????????

would like to see some of the Hopi ancestors ruins

any good rv clubs to join for one time trip?????

Tim Thiebaut
04-02-2011, 2:31 PM
I would imagine this will be moved to a different area of the forum but since its here now, in the west there is a massive amount of BLM land, state and national parks that you can boondock in for free if you want to save money. If you are set on staying somewhere that has showers and what not there are a lot of KOA's out here, although I have found them to be rather expensive and have only stayed in one because of that, we stayed at the one in Buena Vista Colorado and I believe it was around $65 per night...fairly steep, but they did have nightly events, ice cream socials one night, BBQ another night and so on. I would suggest going to your local Barnes and Nobles and getting a book on RV parks out west if you are set on staying in a paid setting. As far as being in a truck with awning and I would assume sleeping under a shell? I have seen many of those in camp grounds and as far as I know the park owners/managers are just concerned with collecting their fee not so much concerned with what the guest is staying in so I dont think you would have any problems at all useing that. I dont know about clubs, I would check your local Camping World, they should have info on all RV clubs nation wide. When we go we normaly boondock and stay in national forest/Nation parks for free, we can manage about 4-5 days if we conserve out water without having to dump our tanks and refill water tank. If you need more info send me a PM, hope this helped a little. Tim

Jim Koepke
04-02-2011, 4:47 PM
Thy best friend may be Doctor Google.

Type in > New Mexico state parks < and the first hit is a guide to the state parks.

It isn't the southwest, but Oregon has great state parks. Free showers for campers last time we were traveling through.

National Parks will be different than the State Parks.

jtk

Al Wasser
04-02-2011, 5:10 PM
I worked in AZ and NM for a lot of years. I sorta doubt there is much in Hopi country but you might google "Hopi Tribal Government" and see if that might give you a contact. Flagstaff has a lot of RV parks but I have never used them and there may be some in Winslow which would be closer. You are also not far from the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Parks that may have facilities. You should be able to google info on them pretty easy.

Ralph Lindberg
04-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Charlie

Your best bet for good info is to join the RV Forum at rv.net, that's the largest RV forum on the Net.

There are campground guides you might want to look into, but as I recall they are all owned by AGI (they own Camping World, Good Sam, Trailer Life, Motor Home Magazine, Woodalls, Camp Coast to Coast), so how much difference they really have is questionable

KOA (Kampgrounds of America), or Keep On Adding (the basic fee is low, but they add a few for just about anything else) used to be a top notch chain of campgrounds, currently, not so much. You can find many (MANY) former KOAs out there.

I am not an expert on the area you want to go, so I'm not going to offer any advise.

TTFN
Ralph (ol time RVer, I founded the oldest RV forum [newsgroup actually] on the Net)

Mike Cozad
04-03-2011, 2:04 PM
I use the Trailer Life Campground Directory. It has reviews of the campground, information on cleanliness, amenities, services, ratings, rules and disallowed items, and expected pricing. The directory provides maps and directions for each campground. My latest one is a couple of years old but I can still use it with confidence to plan trips...

Joe Angrisani
04-03-2011, 3:17 PM
I'm with Tim on his suggestion on using our wide open spaces and camp on BLM land. It often comes as a surprise to people that you can just camp anywhere. But it certainly depends on your vehicle. Most trucks and smaller vehicles with ground clearance can get thousands of places. RVs and such are limited a bit. I have a 2WD VW Westfalia and I've been way back in some places throughout CO, UT, WY, NM, AZ and NV.

I'd be happy to give you some specific locations if you want. Everything from canyonland vistas you could drive an RV into in the dark, to day hikes into small ruins sites where one family group lived and maybe 5-6 family groups shared a 2 mile canyon.

At the other end of the spectrum is Indian land. You will NOT find a place to camp on reservation land, whether small tracts or massive things like the Navaho Nation.

John alder
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Try your libary mine carries all the major guides or Google