PDA

View Full Version : Nikos Siragas Inspiration

jwjerry w kowalski
04-02-2011, 1:10 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting, a self taught woodturner for 51/2 yrs now, who just recently acquired a computer. I bought Nikos' book and here is a turning made from walnut with a mple burl top. These are a lot of fun and do not require any woodcarving experience, they are mainly wood shaping skills. This is my 3rd turning done this way. Love the self expression of woodturning, only wish i didn't wait until the age of 59 to get started.

I have learned a lot from the valuable advice on this blog and look forward to seeing the creations from such talented people. Nikos' book can be purchased through his website.

Thanks for looking , Jerry

John Keeton
04-02-2011, 1:21 PM
Jerry, looks like you have been on the creek for a few months, but great to see you posting!!! And, what a treat for an intro piece! I really like a lot about this piece - great wood and very creative. Is the edge leafed? You need to tell us a little more about this piece - wood species, dimensions, etc. This bunch thrives on details!

Very nice work.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-02-2011, 1:58 PM
Thanks John,

The wood is 1 piece of natural edge walnut, the leafing you see is actually the bark edge. This is turned long grain with the pith intact allowed to dry slowly for about 1yr. It is 91/2 x61/4 with a 21/2 in base. The top is a piece of maple burl I found on my property that is unusual because of the varigations of green it displays. I woodburned and textured the base and still have to seal with shellac to cover up the woodburning odor. It only has one coat of DO on it right now as I just finished it recently. I really admire your boxes and have kept all of their pictures in my file, something for me to shoot for in the future.

Michael James
04-02-2011, 2:19 PM
Welcome from NM, USA. That is a great piece and has a very old world euro look about it. Keep em coming!
Michael

Roger Chandler
04-02-2011, 2:54 PM
Very nice Jerry.........nice debut on your work here! Don't be bashful......the water in the "creek" is fine, so jump on in! :D

Roland Martin
04-02-2011, 3:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jerry. Thank you for posting this lovely turning, hopefully it won't be the last. This is quite unusual but is a very fine piece of craftsmanship. The base makes it seem like the turning grew out from the ground, a really nice effect.

Allan Ferguson
04-02-2011, 3:53 PM
Ditto on all the above comments.

Steve Hayes
04-02-2011, 5:50 PM
That is fantastic! Perfect!

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2011, 6:25 PM
Jerry - Welcome to the Creek!

Excellent first posting! Love the whimsical quality about the piece and more than anything else - the imagination! Very - Very well done and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jim Burr
04-02-2011, 6:30 PM
Nice to meet you thru your work Jerry! Very...almost eccentric...work you've created. As mentioned above...the base is really interesting. Let's see some more!

David E Keller
04-02-2011, 6:39 PM
Welcome, Jerry! I really enjoy this piece especially the base. I hope you'll continue to share your work.

Tim Thiebaut
04-02-2011, 6:41 PM
That is an absolutly amazing piece! Very nice, I might just have to check out this book you are talking about...

Keith E Byrd
04-02-2011, 9:28 PM
This is very creative - and very well done!

John Hart
04-02-2011, 9:46 PM
Welcome Jerry!!

Intriguing piece. I like the orientation and what you've done with the bark on the NE. I don't believe I've seen that done that way before....but it certainly works. Very Nice. :)

Baxter Smith
04-02-2011, 9:53 PM
Welcome Jerry! Great piece. Have to agree with Steve on the whimsical thought. Reminded me of something a hobbit might turn. Very well done and unique!

Thom Sturgill
04-03-2011, 7:21 AM
Very nice piece, keep them coming!

Michelle Rich
04-03-2011, 7:41 AM
welcome to the Creek..Love the base..an interesting choice..Like the shape & wood of the vessel..very nice. Thanks for sharing this piece with us

James Combs
04-03-2011, 8:29 AM
Uniquely contemporary yet rustic. Love it.

Bill Bolen
04-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Beautiful piece, now I'm reallllly looking forward to seening more of your Art...Bill...

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 1:16 PM
A very unusual but beautiful work. looking forward to seeing more. Where are you from?

Dan

Darren Jamieson
04-03-2011, 1:59 PM
Welcome aboard, great first post. The peice is very "lord of the Rings" looking (as pionted out already) a good insperation piece for me, I'll file this one away for future use.