PDA

View Full Version : "As Snug As A Bug"

Dick Wilson
04-02-2011, 1:09 PM
A couple of weeks back John Lucas posted a thread on WOW asking about naming pieces and which came first – the turning or the name. For some reason lately I have been turning to fit the name. I went to bed one night and my dog Scooter was all hunkered down on my pillow. I said to her (as I am wont to do) “Well, you look as snug as a bug” As I was falling asleep a turning came to me. The next morning I went to the shop, got out my trusty drafting board, and designed this piece.

This is an ALAN CARTER inspired piece.189827

13” x 13”. Ebonized Cheery, Birds-eye Maple, and Birds-Eye Maple veneer. The four circular parts are 5” in diameter. The hardest part for me in doing one of these suspended forms is getting the pin placement exactly correct. This one is not bad but I have had fits on others. This is the first piece that I have ebonized with leather dye. It did not come like I wanted. I took a Q-Tip and India Ink and went over it. Much better result. I am not totally happy with the base. I think a flat base with 3-4 brass posts might look better. Unfortunately there is already a ½” dowel hole in the bottom of the frame. Live and learn – the next one will incorporate that look.

Critiques and comments are welcome as always.

John Keeton
04-02-2011, 1:18 PM
Nice work, Dick - Bug Eyed came to mind pretty quickly when I saw it, but Snug as a Bug works, too!:D

I have had mixed results with both India ink and leather dye - really depends on the application. Sometimes one works better than the other.

I think the piece turned out very well. The brass posts may have been a nice touch, but what you have done works fine.

Roger Chandler
04-02-2011, 2:56 PM
Very creative and whimsical!

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2011, 6:30 PM
This is really cool! The more I study it - the more I like it! Very well done and it certainly grabs your attention!

Dick Wilson
04-02-2011, 6:34 PM
Nice work, Dick - Bug Eyed came to mind pretty quickly when I saw it, but Snug as a Bug works, too!:D

I have had mixed results with both India ink and leather dye - really depends on the application. Sometimes one works better than the other.

I think the piece turned out very well. The brass posts may have been a nice touch, but what you have done works fine.

Thanks for re-positioning the picture. I would have done it it I could figure out how to do it.

Michael James
04-02-2011, 8:40 PM
Looks great from here! Love the whimiscal stuff and the craftsmanship is quite obvious. Thanks for posting.
mj

Keith E Byrd
04-02-2011, 9:09 PM
Dick, definately got the whimsical look down! I like it. THe black base kind of looks like a bow tie!

Baxter Smith
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Not what my eyes expected to see when I opened this thread! Great imagination!

Dick Wilson
04-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Dick, definately got the whimsical look down! I like it. THe black base kind of looks like a bow tie!

If you look straight down at the piece the base is in a bow tie shape:):)

Greg Just
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Certainly looks like a bug. The eyes are really neat. Are they sphere?

Dick Wilson
04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Certainly looks like a bug. The eyes are really neat. Are they sphere?

You can't really see but the 4 circles are spheres. From the back side view the bug is napping:D:D
The spheres flat surface is veneered and glued together. I ebonized the spheres and uses a small ball burr to make the divits.

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 11:48 PM
That's an eye grabbing piece!

Dan

John Hart
04-03-2011, 5:42 AM
I couldn't sleep last night. Kept having dreams about bug eyes!!:eek:

Very cool, fun piece!!

I need coffee. :)

Michelle Rich
04-03-2011, 7:31 AM
I have a tiny dog named BUG..looks a bit like this adorable & whimsical piece. he got his name because he is a lovebug! What a fun piece. thanks for sharing it.

James Combs
04-03-2011, 8:02 AM
Dick, a very unique and eye catching work. One question. Are the spheres actual balls or "hemisphere's"

Dick Wilson
04-03-2011, 8:20 AM
Dick, a very unique and eye catching work. One question. Are the spheres actual balls or "hemisphere's"

James, the eyes are domed. Thanks