PDA

View Full Version : Quick tip when using drafting trianges.

Bill Huber
04-02-2011, 12:31 PM
One of the first things I learned on this site was using drafting triangles in the shop. They are very accurate and very handy for setting up tools and checking for squareness.

I have 2, 16" Alvins and they do get use a lot for setting and checking the table saw and checking the squareness of different projects.

The one thing that I didn't like about using them was trying to pick them up when they are flat on the table saw. It is also harder to move them around and hold them against the miter gauge to get an accurate setting.

Here is my quick fix, it works very well and you can move them around on the table much easier and pick them right up.

Just cut 3, strips of wood 1/2" thick, it can be just about any wood you have, even MDF. With some turners tape attach them to one side of the triangle and that's it.

As you can see there is just not a lot space to pick them up with and moving them around is not that easy also.

189818 189819

After you have added the strips of wood it ismuch easier to pick up and use. You can now hold them against the miter gauge for a more accurate setting.

189820 189821

Myk Rian
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Good idea, Bill. Thanks.

Rick Moyer
04-02-2011, 4:35 PM
Where did you get that size? All the ones I see locally are the smaller ones.

Bill Huber
04-02-2011, 5:59 PM

Rick, I don't remember, I do know it was some drafting supply place on-line.

Steve Leverich
04-02-2011, 7:08 PM
Quick google of "alvin drafting triangle" brought this up

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-drafting---drawing-aides-triangles-professional-fluorescent-triangles.html

Theirs go up to 14" in the color Bill shows, they also have stainless, etc... Steve

Bill Huber
04-02-2011, 8:55 PM

I found them on Sears web site, that is not were I got mine. I got them from a drafting supply site on line, I think they were only like $16 each.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2738069002P?prdNo=7

Rick Moyer
04-03-2011, 6:51 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I was being lazy.

Dan Hintz
04-03-2011, 8:44 AM
If you get "inking" triangles,they will have a small offset on both sides (it prevents ink from wicking under the triangle from capillary action). It's not nearly the same as a 1/2" block, but it's enough to get a fingernail under, certainly moreso than a standard flat triangle.