PDA

View Full Version : Carbide tipped Bandsaw Blade Question

Steve Wargo
01-28-2005, 7:19 PM
Going to buy one. Tired of getting crappy blades for my Laguna. Could anyone make a recommendation as to differnt types. I think that the Lenox are a little cheaper than the Lagunas but please let me know you'r thoughts. I'm going to purchase one so there are no need for arguements against them. Just want some feedback as to what types to look for, and where to purchase. Thanks.

Mark Singer
01-28-2005, 8:15 PM
Steve,
The Lenox Trimaster is it! It is great!

Jamie Buxton
01-28-2005, 10:00 PM
I've got a Laguna Resaw King, on an LT16HD.

There's lots of good things about it. First, it way outlasts conventional blades. Even with the high initial price, I think it still costs less per foot of use. Second, it cuts a nice narrow kerf (about 40 thou). The teeth on conventional blade have set so that there's clearance for the band; the kerf on my steel blades is around 80 thou. The teeth on the Resaw King are like the carbide teeth on your table saw blade: the teeth are wider than the band. That is, the teeth provide clearance for the band. The narrow kerf is great when I'm trying to squeeze every piece of veneer out of a board.

There are some not-so-good things about it. For instance, once I hit a buried nail. I would have just thrown away a conventional blade, but the carbide one I had to get sharpened. What with the shipping both ways plus the sharpening charge, that nail cost me about twice as much as if I hit it with a conventional blade. Also, the blade is 3 tpi or so. That's pretty tight for resawing tall stock. If I had a choice I'd be running something closer to 1 tpi.

John Miliunas
01-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Steve, I have the exact same setup as Jamie. That Resaw King stays on the machine 90% of the time!:) Very clean surfaces when resawing, only requiring a quick hit with a ROS most of the time. And he's also right about the kerf width and how you can make some nice wood go a long way! :) I can't be positive, but I think I had heard or read somewhere that the tooth design and frequency per inch are very intentional to keep the user from "overdriving" the stock into the blade. Like I said, not real sure about that one, but otherwise, quite happy with the combination. That said, I've heard many a good thing about the Lenox, as well. You probably wouldn't go wrong with either one.:cool:

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 6:01 AM
Steve,
The Lenox Trimaster is it! It is great!
Mark, I am just about to purchase a 1" 3 TPI version of this blade. Is this the one that you recommend (for resawing)?

Alan Turner
01-29-2005, 8:33 AM
Jamie,
Where did you get yours sharpened, how long was it, and how much was it? Was it as good as when the blade was new? I ran my 1" Lenox into a buried and broken off drywall screw, called my sharpening service, and they said it would be more expensive to sharpen than replace, so it is hanging on the wall at this time, colllecting the dust. If I could put it back into service, I would consider it, so the information will be quite helpful.
Spendy error!
Thanks.
Alan

Mark Singer
01-29-2005, 8:40 AM
Frank,

The Trimaster is a variable pitch. The tooth spacing is not constant,instead if you look at the blade the teeth are in progressive variable spacing. Then the pattern repeats maybe every foot. It gives a cut that is as smooth as a tablesaw blade , even when resawing. The set is very small so it makes a terrific joint blade. I never take it of my saw, since it is general purpose. It stays on my 20 " bandsaw. On my 14" , I keep a 1/2" 10 tpi , .024 kerf joint blade...and sometimes I change to a 1/4" fot scrolling tight radius.

Mark, I am just about to purchase a 1" 3 TPI version of this blade. Is this the one that you recommend (for resawing)?

Steve Wargo
01-29-2005, 8:44 AM
I talked with my local sharpening guy (very old, wise and cheap, but excellent) and he told me it would cost me about $40 to get resharpened. I thought that souded fair. Thanks for all the post guys. That was the info I was looking for.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 9:31 AM
Frank,

The Trimaster is a variable pitch. The tooth spacing is not constant,instead if you look at the blade the teeth are in progressive variable spacing. Then the pattern repeats maybe every foot. It gives a cut that is as smooth as a tablesaw blade , even when resawing. The set is very small so it makes a terrific joint blade. I never take it of my saw, since it is general purpose. It stays on my 20 " bandsaw. On my 14" , I keep a 1/2" 10 tpi , .024 kerf joint blade...and sometimes I change to a 1/4" fot scrolling tight radius.
I have the Lenox catalogue and it appears that the Tri-Master comes in either variable pitch or fixed 3 TPI. There is quite a range of variable pitch sizes. I am attaching an extract from the catalogue. Mark, What are the specs of the variable pitch verson that you recommend?

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Jamie,
Where did you get yours sharpened, how long was it, and how much was it? Was it as good as when the blade was new? I ran my 1" Lenox into a buried and broken off drywall screw, called my sharpening service, and they said it would be more expensive to sharpen than replace, so it is hanging on the wall at this time, colllecting the dust. If I could put it back into service, I would consider it, so the information will be quite helpful.
Spendy error!
Thanks.
Alan

Alan --
I send my Resaw King back to Laguna for sharpening. I don't know any place local which does carbide bandsaw blades. For a 144" blade, it costs about $40. And yes, it saws as well after sharpening as it did new.

Jamie

Mark Singer
01-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Frank.

I don't have the eact spec....I would call Jesse or Raul at Eagle Tools

http://www.eagle-tools.com/

You may want to get it from him...at least check his price and get the spec.
This blade was designed for metal cutting...and it works very well on wood , but the correct spec is important.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Frank.

I don't have the eact spec....I would call Jesse or Raul at Eagle Tools

http://www.eagle-tools.com/

You may want to get it from him...at least check his price and get the spec.
This blade was designed for metal cutting...and it works very well on wood , but the correct spec is important.
Are you suggesting that I should mention you to Jesse or Raul and ask then what blade they supplied you with?

nic obie
01-29-2005, 2:16 PM
Frank,

You might try www.carbide.com . I agree with Mark about the Lenox variable pitch blade, by far it's the best resaw blade I've ever used. (I use the 3\4 tpi) Be forwarned, they are expensive (more than a usa doller per foot) but will last almost forever. Iturra designs sells them too. He dosen't have a web site but his phone number is 888-722-7078. Be sure to ask for his catalog. It's a good read.

Mark Singer
01-29-2005, 3:22 PM
Frank,
That is fine! He knows his stuff! Mention my name...
Are you suggesting that I should mention you to Jesse or Raul and ask then what blade they supplied you with?

Richard Danckaert
01-30-2005, 9:03 AM
Hi Frank,

Here's a link to a company that is in Brampton that is a Lenox dealer.Give them a shout.

www.frankbrasier.com (http://www.frankbrasier.com)

Cheers,

Rich