PDA

View Full Version : Fish tank is nearing completion...

Robert Mayer
01-28-2005, 6:31 PM
All I have left to do is make the doors, which will look like the sides, poplar trim with walnut plywood. Then it just needs stain and something good to seal it with because im sure its going to get water on it.

I made the cove molding on my tablesaw (first time) and installed it.
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/6677Picture_004.jpg

Here is the side and top of the tank, I decided at the last moment to put those corner accents.
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/307Picture_005.jpg

the front view:
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/6043Picture_006.jpg

Steve Beadle
01-28-2005, 6:59 PM
Robert, this a STAND for a fish tank, I presume?

When you made the cove molding on your table saw, did you make an adjustable (or permanent-size) jig? And what steps did you take to smooth the concavity after the table saw operation was done? Myself, I used a goose-neck scraper and contoured sanding block--but I'm looking for any good tips, because I've got more cove molding I need to make.

Robert Mayer
01-29-2005, 9:43 AM
Robert, this a STAND for a fish tank, I presume?

When you made the cove molding on your table saw, did you make an adjustable (or permanent-size) jig? And what steps did you take to smooth the concavity after the table saw operation was done? Myself, I used a goose-neck scraper and contoured sanding block--but I'm looking for any good tips, because I've got more cove molding I need to make.

Yep, its for my 50 gallon tank i got. I actually just used a 2 x 4 for the "jig". I just clamped it to the table saw and ripped away. i had no intentions of having to repeat the exact same cut again. I didnt have a gooseneck scraper and was impatient to get it done so i just sanded it by hand. It still turned out very nice. I had a tough time cutting it into two pieces that matched.

Bill Esposito
01-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Robert,

Looks nice.

If you plan on having a sump and/or filters inside the stand than I'd suggest making it as watertight as possible so you can have a leak or spill under there and not have it drain through to the floor. DAMHIKT

Bill

Robert Mayer
01-29-2005, 2:17 PM
We have one of those top mounted wheel filters so for now we shouldnt have any water running down there, just fish food and extra storage.

Jim Young
01-29-2005, 2:35 PM
When I built my stand I made it short so the little kiddies could see into the tank easily. Now I am wanting to change over to a reef tank. In the base will be the sump, heater and skimmer. The only problem is that I can't find a skimmer that will fit underneath. So now I am thinking of making another base.

Bill Esposito
01-29-2005, 5:05 PM
When I built my stand I made it short so the little kiddies could see into the tank easily. Now I am wanting to change over to a reef tank. In the base will be the sump, heater and skimmer. The only problem is that I can't find a skimmer that will fit underneath. So now I am thinking of making another base.

Jim, what is the maximum height for the skimmer under there?

sascha gast
01-29-2005, 6:42 PM
i'll give you 2 choices for skimmers, euro reef and aqua c, dependint what you want.
but the best overall reef filter system is www.lifereef.com. i have the complete system on my 90g reef. including calcium reactor. jeff is awesome, there is at least a 4 months wait, but it's worth it, plug and play.
if you have any questions, pm me and i'll give you a call, i've had 8 tanks at one time and now have a 90g reef with a 24g refugium, and a 300g fish only.

i can definetely help you.

sascha

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2005, 8:11 AM
That is one nice looking tank stand. It looks like it is built like a tank too! Don't forget to post pictures when it is all finished :)