PDA

View Full Version : Drill press advice

Jason Fastenau
04-01-2011, 7:47 PM
I'm looking to pick up a drill press soon. Up here in the wilds of Alaska my options are pretty limited. At the store I can drive to in a reasonable amount of time, (4 hours), my best option is the Delta 17-959 as far as what they have in stock for $650. I can order the 18" Delta with the 6" quill travel through the same store for about $1200. They also have the powermatic 2800, but I'm not interested in that one for a variety of reasons.

As far as shipped in options, I could get the 20" Grizzly press for about $1,080 after shipping. I know this has a bigger motor, but I'm not sure that I'd ever conceivably run into the limitations of a 3/4 HP motor. (Note to Grizzly folks if you are reading this: You could save non-Anchorage Alaskans a LOT of money up here if you shipped by truck through Canada instead of barge to Anchorage --> Truck. This would make your stuff a lot more attractive in terms of price).

My immediate needs aren't going to be terribly demanding in terms of what the press would have to do, but I'd like to plan for the future as much as possible, which makes the 6" quill travel pretty attractive. With that in mind, I'd like some advice and opinions on what folks would do in my place. The price is a consideration, but with the long-term in mind it isn't the top consideration.

So... what would you do?

Greg R Bradley
04-01-2011, 9:14 PM
I bought a PM2800 and returned it next day for a 17-959L. I'm happy with it. The PM2800 seemed like it would be a problem and I bought it from the local service center, which is a mile away from my shop. I wouldn't even consider it in a remote area. The table is nice but the lift mechanism is a real problem as is the variable speed mechanism.

I would consider the new 18" but it should be about $300 more than the 17-959L. I assume they are giving you a deal on the one they have since it seems Delta is replacing that with the 18". The freight wouldn't be that much different on the two.

I think the most important thing in buying a DP would be for you to examine the actual unit you will be taking home and make sure it is smooth and has minimal runout. With the kind of freight involved in getting another unit to you, you can't afford to deal with buying one mail order that might need to go back.

Charles McKinley
04-02-2011, 1:53 AM
Any usedKnee mills around?

Bernie Kopfer
04-02-2011, 9:24 AM
I am a hobbiest woodworker and use my Delta 17-959L frequently. Easy belt change easy table adj. excellent laser, quiet and I LOVE the quill lock. Not having a easy quill lock would be a deal breaker for me!! ONly downside of the 17- is too much total machine vibration, but I do not have it bolted to the floor, and that might help?? The 4in quill trael has been more than adequate. I have never had to come close to using all of it. Wish you well