PDA

View Full Version : Greaser

Byron Trantham
01-28-2005, 6:24 PM
Ok, I give. What is the preferred material to "grease the trunnion, et al" in a cabinet style saw? I was hearing squeaking when I cranked it up and down so I investigated and found - of course tons of saw dust. I blew it out, really cleaned the worm gears and the track where the trunnion rides for the tilting operation. No more noise and it operates smoothly.

In the latest issue of Wood, they covered the greasing requirements and said to use WAX [no silicone allowed] for the worm gears. Does this sound reasonable? I have White Diamond Butcher's Wax. It doesn't mention silicone so I presume its silicone free. I'm not about to apply it until the Creeker Guru's "put the Holy water on the wax". :D

Ted Shrader
01-28-2005, 7:27 PM
Bryon -

I have had good luck with paraffin. Just rub the block over the gear teeth and cycle it up and down. At the pivot points, I use Boeshield T-9 applied with the red "straw" that comes taped to the cans. It gets down in the inaccessible places very well.

Regards.
Ted

Steve Clardy
01-28-2005, 8:34 PM
I clean with wd-40, then use door lube. Automotive hinge lube. It's waxy

Charlie Woods
01-29-2005, 12:13 AM
"Gunk" has a chain lubricant with Moly(?). Designed for high speeds, and is supposed to resist dust. Would this work for the worm gears and blade tilt mechanism? I am about to start painting the cabinet on my PM66 and will begin assembly within the next 2 weeks, and I don't want to have to be lubing the saw every week.

Charles McKinley
01-29-2005, 7:37 PM
Hi Byron,

I use the DuPont Preformance spray teflon. It was recommended by someone here or the other forum I visit. I also noticed the chain lube I have has teflon in it

It doesn't collect dust and moves verry smoothly.