PDA

View Full Version : View from Cloud 9 (HF)

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 6:06 PM
This is the last of the forms that I turned specifically for my upcoming May gallery show. The coloring on the form reminded me of some of the photos taken from the space shuttle – so the name came easily.

Maple hollow form with a curly Maple finial, 9" dia x 7 1/4" high to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Sanded to 400 grit and dyed using a blend of RIT clothing dyes. It has several coats of gloss wipe-on poly, been buffed and Renaissance wax used for a glass-like feel.

189711 189717 189712 189716 189714 189713 189715

As always, your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 6:22 PM
Two things...I love the size of this...bigger the better. Two...this one has soul to it...or a story if you will. I don't know if you planned it that way, but this one floats.
Amazing Steve!

David E Keller
04-01-2011, 6:29 PM
Another nice looking piece, Steve. It does have an 'earth and sea' feel to it which I really like. The delicate finial really lets the main form stand out. Nicely done.

Kathy Marshall
04-01-2011, 6:41 PM
Wow! I really like these dyed forms you've been doing! Just beautiful!

Jack Mincey
04-01-2011, 7:05 PM
The form is great, but the dye and finish are really out of this world. When I retire a year down the road I'm going to try learn how to dye and finish some of my work like you do.
Just Wonderful,
Jack

Roland Martin
04-01-2011, 7:27 PM
OMG, Steve! You never cease to amaze! The form, the coloration, and your signature finish are excellent and truly 1st rate. I seriously can't wait to hear about all the reactions and reviews you'll recieve at the gallery. I would hate to have to pick only one from your line-up!

gary Zimmel
04-01-2011, 7:29 PM
I'm always amazed how you get that glass like finish Steve. Another fine example of your talent.

Bob Bergstrom
04-01-2011, 7:31 PM
Like looking at earth covered in a sheet of glass. Beautiful finish. Just like the earth from outer space it is truly a "sphere" of beauty.

Jeff Myroup
04-01-2011, 7:36 PM
This is really nice and well titled. You should do really well at the show. How did you separate the dyed areas.

Roger Chandler
04-01-2011, 7:49 PM
Absolutely top notch, Steve............this has been a wonderful series you have done........I sure hope your showing at the gallery turns out very well. This one has the contrasting wood as well, and your orientation of the blank must have been given some thought to get the earth [land] and sea [blue water] to reveal itself like it did.........

I guess that kind of forethought is the difference between the pros and the amateurs. Did you only dye the blue-er part, and then sand it back a lot, or did you dye the whole thing and then just sand back the brown area?

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2011, 7:57 PM
Well I'm glad it's the last of them. I don't know If I could take any more! One spectacular piece after another. Each time I think "this is the best of the lot" but each new one trumps the previous one. This one is no exception. That fine golden toned line separating the two colors is just too sweet!!!

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 8:18 PM
Steve, I have liked them all, but this one is very special - the pick of the litter!! Exceptional dye work on this one, and though the finials are all similar, this one seems to perfectly fit the form, and the color is dead on. Great title, and the finish....well, it just doesn't get any better!! Beautifully done!

Tim Thiebaut
04-01-2011, 8:27 PM
You are so good at nameing things, and the name fits so well, very nice Steve!

Gary Conklin
04-01-2011, 8:31 PM
Steve another really great form and finish. This piece reminds me heavily of the worthless wood casting the pen turners do, looks like an unbelievable coastline. A place I'd love to visit, and the sooner the better. Way to knock this one out of the park!

Michael James
04-01-2011, 8:34 PM
It's big, it's blue, you made it and I love it! I love em all, and sincere best of luck at the showing.
mj

Russell Eaton
04-01-2011, 8:37 PM
That is spectacular. Just like the rest of your pieces. Thanks for showing.

Mark Hubl
04-01-2011, 9:37 PM
Another winner, man the hits just keep on coming. I love the colors in this one. I had to go back to Denim a couple of times to check them out. They are all great, I like Denim a tad more. I know that nobody admits to having favorites, but Mr. Steve, which one gets your "I done really good" of these??

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 9:41 PM
The last two dyed pieces you have posted have appealed to me as much or more than any of the other dyed pieces you have done. Must be the contrasting colors in the HF itself. I wonder what my impressions would be if the wood had been oriented differently and the separation had been along different lines.

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow. You just keep cranking out some nice pieces, Steve. Do you even have time to sleep?

David Reed
04-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I love it. Certainly the form is top notch as usual for you, but especially the dye job. It reminds me of polished stone. Exceptional work.

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
What Mr Keeton said!!! This is definitely my fave of the dyed forms, the color is perfect, and the name absolutely fits. Wish I could be at the opening to watch the responses.

Dan

Cathy Schaewe
04-02-2011, 9:51 AM
Wow. I'd really like to pick this one up and look closely -

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - always great to hear when folks like your work!

I don't know if you planned it that way, but this one floats.

Jim - I had this land/sea idea in mind when I turned the form and played games with the dye mix until I got the right color. One of those times when everything came together as envisioned.

When I retire a year down the road I'm going to try learn how to dye and finish some of my work like you do.

Jack - if you feel like a short drive (2 1/2 days) then come on up! I can show you everything I know in 1/2 an hour but we sure would have fun turning!

How did you separate the dyed areas.

Did you only dye the blue-er part, and then sand it back a lot, or did you dye the whole thing and then just sand back the brown area?

Jeff & Roger - the form was dyed using a 1" foam brush with some areas receiving more dye than others. When the form dried, it was rubbed with a cotton t-shirt to smooth out any raised areas but was not sanded.

I know that nobody admits to having favorites, but Mr. Steve, which one gets your "I done really good" of these??

Mark - I have a few HFs that I like more than others but each has something in it that I like, such as color combination, weight/balance, finial detail, etc. Most times I find that I love the newest HF up until the time I post it online.... then I turn my focus to the next one.

Wow. I'd really like to pick this one up and look closely -

Cathy - it will be in my shop for another 2 weeks, then will be at the Ed Gray Gallery in Calumet, MI. :D

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate you all taking the time to comment! And if anyone is traveling through my area - stop in! - I love Show & Tell!

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Spectacular form, and wonderful colors. Very appropriate name. It seems to float, as the Earth does, in the heavens.

Good luck with the show. :)