PDA

View Full Version : Harold Coover

Greg Just
04-01-2011, 6:03 PM
You probably don't recognize the name, but we use his invention nearly every day. Harold Coover invented Super Glue and he recently passed away at 94. Below is a small excerpt on Mr. Coover - quite a guy:

Super Glue was first discovered in 1942 by Coover who was trying to make materials for plastic gun sights for soldiers, but he rejected it because the material, cyanoacrylates, basically stuck to everything! In 1951, while working for Eastman Kodak, Coover and another scientist, Fred Joyner rediscovered the material, which they called Eastman 910 and saw its commercial benefit.
Soon he tested out his product on the television game show "I've Got a Secret," hosted by Garry Moore. He demonstrated it by gluing two metal bars together, then holding on to one as it lifted him in the air.

Coover never actually financially capitalized on Super Glue — he worked for the Eastman Kodak company until he retired — he held more than 460 patents (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/business/28coover.html?_r=2&amp), The New York Times reported. In 2004 he was inducted to the National Inventors Hall of Fame.

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 6:08 PM
I caught that on the news yesterday Greg...put a smile on my face.

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2011, 7:42 PM
We all must take a moment to pray for a smooth transition and a safe journey for those who have been called. But I have to say that Mr Coover has not done me any favors. For some mysterious reason I can never get that stuff to work...

Don Alexander
04-02-2011, 12:51 AM
For some mysterious reason I can never get that stuff to
work...

surely you have glued your fingers together at least once :D that qualifies as "getting it to work" doesn't it?

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, Don. I can always manage to glue my body parts together. And I am consistently able to glue pretty much anything to any part of my body. The problem I have is in gluing to objects to each other while at the same time not having them bonded to me...

Don Alexander
04-02-2011, 9:46 PM
success is measured by how quickly you can reach the bottle of debonder and use it :D:D:D:D

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
"...success is measured by how quickly you can reach the bottle of debonder..."

I'd probably end up with that glued to my forehead.