PDA

View Full Version : Workshop updates

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-01-2011, 5:03 PM
Hey all! Just thought I'd throw my shop photos out there, since I love seeing what everyone else is doing with their shops and know that shop pics are always enjoyable to look at. Please note that my little "so called" digital camera pretty much stinks - until I can get a new one. I have been pretty busy purchasing some new equipment like my cyclone, adding the ductwork to everything, getting my machinery organized, but am still lacking good storage right now. I am planning on (or should say hopefully acquiring) getting some used kitchen cabinets for along the wall where my RAS is located, so right now there's alot of stuff on the floor. Also, need to relocate my ladder, lawnmower, etc to an outside shed which will provide even more room for me. Until then, here's where I am at. Part 2 of pics to follow this thread. Enjoy!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-01-2011, 5:06 PM
...and here's part 2:

Neil Brooks
04-01-2011, 5:17 PM
You have an absolutely beautiful shop !

ALL the tools.
LOTS of space.
Everything really thoughtfully laid out.

But the one thing that really struck me is ... you obviously had a couple bucks to put into your tools, and -- also obviously -- you are NOT hopelessly loyal to one brand.

So ... your tools represent -- IMHO -- really excellent bang-for-the-buck decisions. Looks like lots of thought, research, and time went into all of your selections.

Just great ! Thanks for sharing :)

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-01-2011, 5:37 PM
Thanks Neil! You would be correct in all accounts. I'm NOT loyal to just one brand. The RAS I got a "steal" on through a CL listing in Atlanta. The guy was selling it for $200 bucks, so I jumped on that one! I would (eventually) like to upgrade my jointer to an 8", but it's served me very well. The Grizzly bandsaw and cyclone was just too good a deal for me to pass on, and were my most recent purchases. LOVE 'EM! Gotta say though, the ductwork set me back quite a bit. The lathe was my dad's, so that one was a freebie. My next purchase will most likely be the Grizzly 15" planer and mabe the Shopfox mortiser. I'd like the Powermatic, but the cost is too rich for me. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions:) My wife has always been really supportive of my hobby and purchases, so in essence, she's been the catalyst in making it all happen for me:) Again, thanks for the compliments!

Randy

Chris Parks
04-02-2011, 2:35 AM
Randy what flexible hose have you used for the DC and where did you buy it from? Trying to buy flexible hose in Australia like that is nearly impossible.

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-02-2011, 8:02 AM
Randy what flexible hose have you used for the DC and where did you buy it from? Trying to buy flexible hose in Australia like that is nearly impossible.

Chris,

I purchased my flex hose from a couple of different sources based on size/price. I have 3 different sizes (3,4, and 5 inch) and all have wire reinforcing in the hose. The 3" is just a small piece for my RAS blade guard, but also has a 4" hose for the shroud behind the blade. Here's where I purchased each:

3" from oneida-air.com
4" from Woodcraft. I picked that up when I was in their store last time (woodcraft.com)
5" from Kencraftcompany.com

Mike Cruz
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Randy, thanks for sharing. I just love seeing shop tours. Your's is no exception. I can imagine that that ductwork set you back... Funny how that stuff adds up and is "necessary" at whatever price you are quoted, but we'll do our darndest to get a deal on a machine. :) Beautiful shop. Looks like it is well thought out. Thanks again, for sharing.

Douglas Clark
04-12-2011, 3:00 PM
Randy-- I always have a love/hate relationship with shop tours. I love the inspiration, but it makes me a bit covetous too. Your shop looks great, very similar to the way I've envisioned setting up my shop if I ever have a two-car garage, or extra shop space. Hmmmm [head in hands, with far off look in eyes] maybe someday, I say to myself.

Jerome Hanby
04-12-2011, 3:37 PM
That's a good spot for that type of air compressor. Mine is always in the way. Love your shop. Thanks for the pics!

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-12-2011, 6:19 PM
Randy, thanks for sharing. I just love seeing shop tours. Your's is no exception. I can imagine that that ductwork set you back... Funny how that stuff adds up and is "necessary" at whatever price you are quoted, but we'll do our darndest to get a deal on a machine. :) Beautiful shop. Looks like it is well thought out. Thanks again, for sharing.
Thanks Mike. I agree...it all evolves around the same "necessary evil" I suppose:)

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-12-2011, 6:21 PM
Randy-- I always have a love/hate relationship with shop tours. I love the inspiration, but it makes me a bit covetous too. Your shop looks great, very similar to the way I've envisioned setting up my shop if I ever have a two-car garage, or extra shop space. Hmmmm [head in hands, with far off look in eyes] maybe someday, I say to myself.
Thanks Douglas! Trust me, I know "exactly" what you mean about the extra space. Maybe, just maybe my wife will let me take over the kitchen...??? Hmmmm, something tells me "I don't think so.":)

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-12-2011, 6:24 PM
That's a good spot for that type of air compressor. Mine is always in the way. Love your shop. Thanks for the pics!
Jerome,
I quarrelled with that one myself (regarding the compressor). For now at least, that's where it will stay. Actually works out really well being there. We'll see what transpires once I get my cabinets installed - one day hopefully! Thanks for the compliments:)

Doug Palmer
04-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice Randy, thanks for the tour. I love the outfeed on the TS. I need to build one like it. I always wonder how much time a guy takes cleaning up his shop before the tour pictures are shot. I will need some time, cause I don't always put my hand tools or hardware back where it belongs right away. Did you build that work bench? It looks awesome.

Dan Friedrichs
04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm surprised Doug was the first to compliment that beautiful bench. What is the darker wood - is it purpleheart?

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-15-2011, 5:53 PM
Nice Randy, thanks for the tour. I love the outfeed on the TS. I need to build one like it. I always wonder how much time a guy takes cleaning up his shop before the tour pictures are shot. I will need some time, cause I don't always put my hand tools or hardware back where it belongs right away. Did you build that work bench? It looks awesome.
Thanks Doug! Actually the outfeed table is Jim Becker's plan from his website. It works out perfect! There isn't a sheet of plywood I can't push across the table with the size of that outfeed - however I did make it a bit larger than his plan. Comes in really handy in so many applications when needed. The workbench I made last year. I've been wanting to build one for a long time and was happy with the way it turned out. I got the plan online. It's called the $175 workbench from Popular Woodworking magazine. If you Google it, you'll see the plan. I did, however modify the plan quite a bit though by making it slightly longer, wider and higher. I also designed the center cabinet with all the drawers to make it even more functional. I would have preferred to make it out of maple, but it's actually built with SYP. Pretty durable too! Thanks again for the compliments!

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-15-2011, 6:14 PM
I'm surprised Doug was the first to compliment that beautiful bench. What is the darker wood - is it purpleheart?
Thanks Dan. Believe it or not, it's constructed completely out of SYP. It's "abundant" here in Savannah, since it's impossible to find good hardwoods down here. No lumber yards, so occasionally I have to make lumber runs to Atlanta area for hardwoods. The drawers and vise are simply stained to resemble a purpleheart color. Here's some photos of the bench.