PDA

View Full Version : Starburst design prototype ..please critique

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 3:28 PM
Dunno wood. Starburst design with my negative space design stuff mixed in.:eek: Please give me your best thoughts and your worst. Thanks 9 1/2 inches

Cathy Schaewe
04-01-2011, 3:30 PM
I absolutely love it! The only way I'd like it more is if there was more "negative space" incorporated.

And I do know I wouldn't want to have to sand your pieces!

Steve Vaughan
04-01-2011, 3:38 PM
That's pretty cool. You do some really cool fancy stuff and I like it.

Greg Just
04-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Not sure I would change anything. Very nice. Is the center segmented?

Roger Chandler
04-01-2011, 4:31 PM
I would say that is highly creative!!! Great design concept, and execution........a rarity that would make any wall proud to display it!

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 4:40 PM
Hi Greg..yes the center is segmented.. 1/16th pieces

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 4:41 PM
thanks Roger.

Mark Hubl
04-01-2011, 4:45 PM
Michelle,

I think this is one of my favorites of your wall hangings. I like the fan shaped upper. I like the piece in the center, but something with more contrast would "pop" the middle. Maybe even glass or stone. Very nice.

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 5:07 PM
That is very pretty. I like the color and the little design in the middle.

I know you like to keep some of your methods a secret but one of these times you might just have to do a tutorial just so we can truly appreciate how much work goes into something like this!

Allan Ferguson
04-01-2011, 6:08 PM
Impressive. A lot of work.

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 6:10 PM
How big is it Michelle?

Mike Golka
04-01-2011, 6:18 PM
Another very nice piece Michelle. I've been admiring your work for a while now. Are you using a Lignotec type device to create these? In any case. very well done.

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 6:23 PM
thanks Mike..is a Lignotec a CNC? No i have no CNC, no ornamental lathe . Just regular tools.

David E Keller
04-01-2011, 6:26 PM
I like this piece. The segmenting and the area of 'negative space' really elevate the form.

Roland Martin
04-01-2011, 7:38 PM
I can't come up with anything I would change or do differently, if I could do that at all:eek:
I love the creativity you put in your work, never mind your incredible level of talent. This piece certainly would be well recieved in any gallery. Very nice work!

Bob Bergstrom
04-01-2011, 7:41 PM
You have really bought two elements together well. The fan gets my attention right away, but the negative space draws me in and makes me want to peer into the voids. Great job.

Jeff Myroup
04-01-2011, 7:45 PM
Fantastic piece. At first, I was not sure about the varying thickness on the horizontal lines in the negative space. I think they work though. I keep looking for a pattern there and it constantly draws my eye to that area. I think a darker center or other media would work well too. Maybe as a variation on the theme. I can see where you can vary all the elements to come up with a completely new piece each time. Very well done. I can only image the amount of work that goes into something like this

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 8:32 PM
Michelle, I like the theme of this one better than any you have done. The last "fan" piece was beautiful, and hard to beat. But the combined elements here are very nice. For my tastes, the segmented piece fights for attention with the overall form, and I think spacing the slots in the lower portion such that the wood between them became progressively more narrow toward the center would be interesting.

As is, it is still so far above my abilities and imagination that I stand in awe of your work!

charlie knighton
04-01-2011, 8:48 PM
bring it to st paul, i would like to see it live

very nice

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 9:28 PM
Very very nice! The fan is my favorite part, the negative space second which leaves the segmented center last. Maybe with it being squares it is too different from the rest of it to appeal to me as much as perhaps a different segmented pattern might have. Pie shaped segments?

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Michelle - this is an exceptional piece! All of the different elements keep your eyes constantly moving - which is a good thing! Love the fan form, really like how your negative space area consists of cross members of varying widths - again, it keeps the eyes moving! Only part I am not 100% on is the small squares in the center. As a contrast - great - but there is nothing else in the form that they relate too - in my opinion. If the center had a copy of the fan or even the negative space elements - feel it would all tie in and flow just a little better. JMO.

Beautiful work! Always look forward to see what kind of negative space design you come up with next!

Mark Hix
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Michelle, it is fantastic. One question: the first flute to the left of the negative space does not look tapered like the others. Is that just the photo?
I always enjoy your artwork.
Thanks for posting it.

Deane Allinson
04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Very nice piece! love the tapered flutes> the fan stops perfectly.
the center is a little over-powering, maybe slightly smaller and with less projection. Pierced area might be be more effective if it was just flat and smooth (but then i tend to be a little minimalist). exceptional piece!
Deane

Scott Lux
04-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Michelle, I've loved (quietly) every piece you've put up here. We often talk about craft vs. art. But you have definitely taken it to Fine Art. Please keep showing us your treasures.

David Reed
04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Stunning work here Michelle. Like others have noted, I also think the segmented center is a bit distracting to the overall piece. On the other hand, the precision of the flutes is unbelievable and also noticed and wondered about the first flute on the left. I have no idea how you could have executed the flutes with such precision - looking at the narrow wedges between each flute - they all appear identical - and at such an acute angle! Stunning is the only work required.

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Lovely piece, I agree with Steve about relating the center to other design elements though.

Dan

Scott Hackler
04-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Very nice job. I love the fan and negative space mix, but would have prefered the segmented part be different. Like sugested, a inset piece of stone or just plain wood. Seems to be fighting the other elements a bit.

Michelle Rich
04-02-2011, 6:12 AM
Thanks ALL for your considered critiques. As i said it is a prototype and I too had some concerns. Before I posted I thought the area of neg. space was too large for the form..hmmm..maybe 2 more rows of sunburst??? I also thought the circular row openings were too wide..they are 1/4 inch..Maybe 3/16 or even 1/8 and more of them. so many things to think about, it is hard to get it perfect (acceptable) first time out of the gate. The segmented center was one of those goofy things that just come to be. I had 4 little squares and noticed the maroon color matched the plate..so i glued them together & put them on the centerpiece wood. Every other element repeats on the front or back, this one at center was the wildcard..it's quiet and understated, but I agree..where's the element it mimics? And does it have to? The rules of art, are pistols and half the time they are irrelevant!

Michelle Rich
04-02-2011, 6:21 AM
Michelle, it is fantastic. One question: the first flute to the left of the negative space does not look tapered like the others. Is that just the photo?
I always enjoy your artwork.
Thanks for posting it. Hi Mark..it must be the bad picture taking & the shadow..all flutes were made the same way. thanks for your critical eye and thought. Appreciate it

John Keeton
04-02-2011, 6:26 AM
Michelle, I did a second look (just had to! - very compelling) and for me, I don't think it is necessarily that the center must "mimic" or replicate any other existing element. IMO, it is just a little "busy" with all that is going on elsewhere. And, it is of a geometric pattern that is not present anywhere else. Perhaps that is what you are after, but I think it could be more simple and be a focal point without appearing to compete with the remainder of the piece.

Still, I like this concept very much - one you should pursue, for sure!

Also, just noticed you put in the size - makes this work all the more remarkable! I would have thought it to be at least half again larger.

philip labre
04-02-2011, 8:13 AM
Michelle, I LOVE this piece!!! Exceptional work. Maybe try a copper or silver leaf with a patina on the center.

Michelle Rich
04-02-2011, 8:28 AM
Michelle, I LOVE this piece!!! Exceptional work. Maybe try a copper or silver leaf with a patina on the center. Thanks Philip..it's a great idea..I have some copper sheet material..I will try that!!

John Keeton
04-02-2011, 8:34 AM
I like the idea of some metal here!!! I think I like the leaf concept on a dark wood background, too.

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Beautiful piece, Michelle. It reminds me of an early summer morning, when the sun is just rising above the water.

I have to agree with the others about the center. It seems a little distracting. You have so much movement going on with the starburst, and the negative space below, I think (just my opinion ;) ) that the center would do better if it was a solid piece of wood, or better yet a piece of metal, as Phillip said. Maybe hammered, but still bright, copper.

Well done. :)

Ryan Baker
04-05-2011, 9:06 PM
I'm a little late to this party, but you make some seriously cool pieces Michelle!

Russell Neyman
10-11-2011, 1:36 PM
Michelle, I was doing a search for "segmented bowls" and stumbled onto this older post. I hope I'm not being disrespectful to others, but how can anyone offer criticism of any kind for a piece this spectacular!? And you've added an element we don't often see among turners, and that's an asymmetrical design. Curious: did you rout the fanned coves on the lathe, or did you use a jig and your router table? My mind is spinning about options for how to accomplish similar designs.

Michelle Rich
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
neither approach...if you'd like to see more of my negative space designs go to you tube and search "galturner video" it will have a walnut counterrotating volute design.. hope to see what you produce...