PDA

View Full Version : Maple Platter

John Spitters
04-01-2011, 3:26 PM
It's been some time since anything has come off of the lathe as I've been too busy with other projects such as remodeling my basement.
But ! I did manage to turn this piece in between all my other efforts.
Measures 18.5" x 2.5"

John

Steve Vaughan
04-01-2011, 3:39 PM
That's beautiful! I like the clean lines and the details of the leaves. Very nicely done.

Ken Hill
04-01-2011, 3:56 PM
The platter itself is beautiful, but the leaves put it over the top!

Mark Hubl
04-01-2011, 3:56 PM
That is nice John. Really like the maple leaves.

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 4:24 PM
neat leaves!

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 5:13 PM
The leaves really add to this piece. The wood is great but the leaves make it that much better....

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 6:33 PM
Just beautiful John...the leaves are a great touch.

Jeff Myroup
04-01-2011, 7:47 PM
Great plater and very well done on the leaves. It is a nice touch

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 8:26 PM
Great work on the leaves!! They look laser cut - very crisp. Pretty wood, and a nice job with the platter.

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Nice platter but the simple addition of the leaves make it standout!

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 9:50 PM
Very nice platter! Did you freehand those leaves? Look great! Very clean!

John Spitters
04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all of the positive comments everyone.
This platter was turned over a period of at least 3 weeks or more, the wood was already bone dry as I had had it for years. No figuire to the wood to add to the platter it was very plain so I felt that form was what was needed to help carry it,
this is part of why it took so long to turn. You know how we often say that we try to let the wood talk to us and just turn till it's finished speaking ... and from that the form emerges. Well this wood wasn't speaking to me so I needed to spend a lot more time trying to see the form within the wood. I think that I did good and I'm very pleased with the outcome. The rim is heavy on the underside it does not follow the outer shape but goes against it., then the Bowl part is apx 3/16 - 1/4" thick with a heavy undercut rim, it feels very good in the hand. Finish is two coats of my own oil / poly blend that I've used for the first time. ( actually a formula that I picked up from either this forum or another) As to the leaves I found an image of a single leaf on the net... printed it out / cut it out and traced the outer profile onto the platter, burned in the outline and free handed the rest, the one odd leaf was totally freehanded as I thought that after I did the three it still needed something extra.