PDA

View Full Version : How'd I do?

Brian Vaughn
04-01-2011, 2:32 PM
I recently found a 6" Jet jointer (JJ-6CSX) for $325 with the mobile base. It's a white one, so I know it's within the last 15 years, but the beds looked decent, (They need a little steel wool, but only a few spots of surface rust, which almost all brushed off with a bare hand), they are flat, within .0015, and it ran smooth. My only concern is that the fence, while square at the infeed side, has a little bit of a bow (I'm talking between 1/32 and 1/64) toward the outfeed side. I realize that this is woodworking, so I wasn't super worried about it, plus it seems that a number of those Jet's had a similar issue, but otherwise, does this seem a decent price? It's, of course, not a gloat price, but for an occasional user, seemed decent enough.

Of course, after I told him I'd take it, I saw one of the 48" Jet edge sanders for $250, but I'm satisfied, but not glowing.... ;)

Mike Schuch
04-01-2011, 7:00 PM
Do you want the truth? You can pretty drn near pick up a new jointer for pennies more. But I live at bottom feeder prices. If it was worth it to you then it is worth what you paid for it.

Paul Symchych
04-01-2011, 7:15 PM
Seems a pretty nice price to me. You may be a little harsh on that price assessment, Mike. Without much looking a new Jet jointer is well over 35,000 pennies more if on sale. $325 in a new one will land you at Harbor Freight, or a cheapo short bed benchtop version. I'll take the Jet every time at that price.
I don't know what to make out of the outfeed fence. Adjustable? If a bow proves to be a problem I suppose you could get it ground flat.

scott vroom
04-01-2011, 7:26 PM
Brian, a new JJ-6CSX without the mobile base sells for $750 on Amazon. As another reference point, Grizzly sells a G0604 6" jointer for $650. If your used jointer is in good condition and gives you years of service, then $325 seems like a fair price. What condition are the knives in?

Brian Vaughn
04-01-2011, 9:24 PM
It actually came with a mobile base, so that's another plus. But the knives will need replacing pretty soon....but that's only $30 or so. I guess I'll also need something to help align and install the blades, since I've never installed a jointer blade in my life. I've read the manual, but it references using an alignment tool.

And Mike, you're right, I could have bought a smaller or less quality jointer for a good bit less, but I've done enough research on this particular model to know it tends to do well over time. And really, this is an intro to jointers for me. Up until this, I've used a combination of hand planes and my too-small table saw (I'll work on that at some point...when I have more room.)

Joe Shinall
04-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Brian, it sounds good to me. A lot of people won't pay even 50% of what a new one costs for used. I think anything less than 60% is a great deal. I paid $500 for my 8" Grizzly Jointer. Some people forget that in small areas, it's hard to find those backyard or basement finds on Craigslist and estate sales. Sounds to me like you got a great deal in my eyes.

Russell Sansom
04-02-2011, 3:01 AM
The bowed fence has been discussed here. You have a few options for fixing it. Only woodworking or not, it's good if the fence is as square as possible. It's a real benefit to be able to trust the squareness of a jointed piece of wood. It will also save your best plane some effort when you take it to the shooting board for that final touch.