PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars Gun Desk on the History Channel

Bob Smalser
04-01-2011, 1:52 PM
This one is much worse than the fingernails on a chalkboard when these lads take valuable antiques to the range for shooting and bayonet charges. In this one their firearms "expert" advises a customer to alter and probably ruin a unique antique.

The episode is titled "Chummobile": http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars/videos/playlists/full-episodes

A woman brings in a small, portable writing desk with a concealed gun built into a trap door in the desk front and a button trigger so a person seated in front of the desk would get shot when the button was pressed. It reminded me of way back when the army paid in cash and lieutenant pay officers and their drivers went well-armed on payday, as a large company's cash payroll was 200 grand when a LT made 300 a month, his driver 85, and when you lost something it really did come out of your pay. A Victorian-era, portable payroll desk custom built for a railroad, coal mine, or other business back when companies paid on the job site, the insurance industry was in its infancy and cash payrolls were prime criminal targets.

The gun was an antique, black-powder alarm gun like you find on old, 19th-Century catalogs. It looked like it was brass. They were made to screw to a window or door frame, were loaded with blanks, and were configured to trip when an intruder opened the window or door, frightening the intruder away. Most were percussion, but this one was a .22 or .32 rimfire clearly designed for blanks, as it had a chamber but no barrel. Loaded with a live round, however, it certainly would hit something only two feet away. The 22 rimfire cartridge dates to Flobert’s BB Cap in 1845.

It could possibly have been a stage prop, but the unit looks purpose-built and well-made. Namely, too well done for temporary use.

Not only could our “expert” not identify the firearm, he advised the owner to take it to a gunsmith to be “deactivated”, as it was likely “not a pre-1898 antique” and additionally could be considered a “concealed weapon” illegal to buy and sell without deactivation.

Words can't describe what poor advice that was on several levels. If he were a physician I'd apply to revoke his license.

Kevin W Johnson
04-02-2011, 4:15 AM
I saw the episode, and shook my head as well. Sad, very sad.

Pat Germain
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I too saw that episode, Bob. And I also questioned the advice. I'm thinking they guy was just recommending how the owner could best make the desk easy to sell.

But I'm also wondering what kind of pawn shop doesn't have a license to sell modern firearms. I thought guns were a "bread and butter" item for pawn shops.

Russ Filtz
04-03-2011, 7:56 AM
I'm betting they don't want to bother with an FFL, or the kind of crowd regular firearms could attract in Vegas. Looks like they try to run a relatively classy pawn shop (oxymoron?) and don't want gangbangers coming in for Glock F'otays scaring the customers.

Pat Germain
04-03-2011, 11:03 AM
You make a good point, Russ.

BTW, my brother and his wife are big fans of the show and they visited the Gold and Silver Pawn shop when they were in Las Vegas last year. My brother said the place is absolutely mobbed at all times. Taxis and limos are dropping people off almost non-stop. Everyone is there to see the guys from the show. Unfortunately, like all reality shows, if the cameras aren't on, the guys aren't there. Whenever someone asked about one of the guys from the show, the staff would answer very quickly, "He has the day off".

Also, my brother said it appears they don't even tape the show in the actual store. The building is pretty big, but the shop most customers see isn't. Bro said it looked like about half the building was walled off. He suspected there's a replica of the shop behind the wall and that's where they tape the show. Otherwise, they couldn't get any taping done with hundreds of looky-loos everywhere.

Obviously, all the "interesting" items on the show are pre-arranged. The vast majority of people coming into a pawn shop are looking to sell average, everyday items like watches and jewelry. I still like the show.

Brian Elfert
04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I've read reports from people who visited the Gold and Silver pawn shop that it is often closed for taping. The walled off portion is probably the back storage area for pawned items and items not yet ready for sale. They have mentioned on the show that items have to be held for 30 days to make sure they are not stolen.

I don't know that this place would high on my list to visit in Las Vegas, but plenty of people apparently are visiting. I've also read they are selling t-shirts and other trinkets like crazy. The probably make as much money on that stuff as the pawn business.

Brian Elfert
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
If nobody is ever going to shoot that gun desk does it really matter if it is usable or not?

Dave Lehnert
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
A guy at work purchased a painting off of Chumly so they are there at times.
If you look at the camera angle during the show the place is not all that big.

I think the advice given was because the owner wanted to sell it.

Charlie Reals
04-03-2011, 1:08 PM
If nobody is ever going to shoot that gun desk does it really matter if it is usable or not?

Brian, it matters immensely. It is an antique collectible on many fronts as has been mentioned. It frosts me when I watch them load and shoot the truly old stuff. It doesn't matter if it shoots, butt it will if you break something and the firearm becomes barrel junk like we had back in the 60's.
jm2c

Brian Elfert
04-03-2011, 1:30 PM
Brian, it matters immensely. It is an antique collectible on many fronts as has been mentioned. It frosts me when I watch them load and shoot the truly old stuff. It doesn't matter if it shoots, butt it will if you break something and the firearm becomes barrel junk like we had back in the 60's.

They claim the reason they shoot them is because the value goes up if they actually work. I have no idea how many collectors really care if they work as I have never dealt with guns besides a .22 at a Scout camp.

Charlie Reals
04-03-2011, 2:13 PM
They claim the reason they shoot them is because the value goes up if they actually work. I have no idea how many collectors really care if they work as I have never dealt with guns besides a .22 at a Scout camp.

Other than to say it would depend on who and what they were collecting it would open up a debate that could go on forever.;) Shooters can be finickier and fickle as a jay bird:D
I am no expert nor am I an advanced gunsmith, I can determine if it can be fired without actually shooting it. The pawn shop is afterall TV and it is entertainment.
45-70 black powder creedmore is my choice at this stage of my life. I can really reach out and touch someone .
This is an open forum with real names so be aware of what you divulge :eek:

Jerome Stanek
04-03-2011, 5:41 PM
I went to the shop and it is small and most of their stuff is over priced. There wasn'tr that many people there when I was there but I went by when they where filming and the crowd was really big.

Angela micinski
04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I am guessing that place as a business, has a pretty good idea how to make money. None of us have our own shows on the history channel. Maybe the historical aspect can't always be the number one priority. I would bet compared to other pawn shops it means more there then anywhere else.

Kevin W Johnson
04-06-2011, 2:12 AM
Without the historical aspect and the firing mechanism in working order, its just a desk. I think they should have dug further to determine its manufacture date before telling her to have it de-activated. They often consult one person, and if hes unsure, they dont go any further. No single person can have ALL the knowledge in a given area.

Greg Peterson
04-06-2011, 9:56 AM
It's entertainment. Angela makes a great point. They are operating a business first and foremost and if done relatively well I'm sure there are plenty of interesting items and people coming into the shop to keep the series entertaining.

They do bring in 'experts' in with a fair amount of frequency. I wonder if these appraisals are free or what incentive these people have for offering their expertise. If one appraiser with whom you have a good working relationship draws a blank on an item, is that a reasonable reason to seek a second opinion? How many opinions would be reasonable? Again, the cost of these appraisals has to be a factor as well.

Next.

Matt Meiser
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
A guy who bought our old TV off CL said he'd been and bought something from Chumley. He claims the guy is actually dumber in person than on the show.

John alder
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Its show business thats all.

Charlie Reals
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Its show business thats all.

Especially when it comes to firearms. I have to the best of my knowledge never seen a true fine antique firearm other than a run of the mill old colt or Winchester.. The blunderbusses and muskets for the most part are what we called barrel guns in the 60's.
Any sporting good store or military surplus had a cardboard barrel full of old guns for $ 2.00 - 50.00.
Shoot all of those you want, they are junk.

If you ever see a gun on there that causes the "expert" to bring out the white gloves I have a ten spot says they don't take it out and shoot it.

All of these shows are just shows and no different than oprah,watch how many of their experts spawn their own shows.

Kevin W Johnson
04-06-2011, 1:10 PM
If they simply decline to buy an item brought in based on their "experts" opinion, then fine. The seller is free to seek their own second opinion elsewhere. However, to suggest modification of an item in which the "expert" is unsure of, is reckless at best. At that point they should simply decline to purchase based on the unknown legality of the item, or suggest the owner research it further on their own to determine its status.