PDA

View Full Version : Mustard in my future!

Bob Rotche
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I've been debating on which way to go with a lathe upgrade for some time now (since it is clear that I have been sucked into the vortex beyond any hope of escape). I recently had the opportunity to spend 4 days on a Powermatic 3520b while taking a course at the John C. Campbell Folk School in NC (see my recent post) and just fell in love with the machine. Going back home to my Jet 1236 has really been an eye opener. I didn't realize how much more fun turning could be on a high quality machine. Had considered the bigger Jet but in the end, I was so happy with my time on the powermatic that I decided to go that way. It is a fair bit more money but this is meant to be my last lathe purchase.

Unfortunately, I missed the recent 15% sale but saw that Woodcraft is running a 1 day only, 10% Jet/Powermatic sale on 4/9. Talked to the guys at Tool Nut (on recommendation of this site) and they beat the price plus free shipping and no tax since I am out of state! That was an offer I couldn't refuse so there is definitely mustard in my future!

David E Keller
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Congrats, Bob! Welcome to the yellow part of the vortex.

Dick Wilson
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I can see now that this is a very dangerous forum to be on as far as my wallet goes.:(:( Way to may weeklings inhabit this place who just do not know how to say NO!!!! :confused::confused:I am proud to say I can say No. :D:D Are there other Creekers like myself or am I the Lone Ranger??:confused::confused:

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
...Are there other Creekers like myself or am I the Lone Ranger??:confused::confused:Dick, you would be the only one here to my knowledge!!! And, you won't be able to resist for ever!;):D

Congrats, Bob, on the decision! While I like the Jet, the PM is a lot more machine, and if you have gotten past the $$ part of the deliberations - you made an easy choice! Enjoy!

John M. Smith
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Do like I did. My wife bought me one for christmas last year. :)

Brian Libby
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Great choice!
I also had a jet 1236. I debated between the 1642 and 3520. went with the 3520 .
All I can say is the extra cost was well worth it. Enjoy!

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 1:03 PM
Good choice. I was turning on a good but dated lathe last summer when I found a used 3520A at a great price. I had never turned on one but thought it had some features I would like. I would hate to go back to anything less now in terms of swing, hp, mass, sliding headstock, etc. etc.

Ian Jeffcock
04-01-2011, 1:05 PM
You won't be sorry,... I love mine. Tool nut made it happen for me also... Congrats.

Dan Forman
04-01-2011, 2:04 PM
You will love it!

Dan

Jon Nuckles
04-01-2011, 2:07 PM
Welcome to Club Mustard. You will love it.

bob svoboda
04-01-2011, 2:20 PM
Another welcome to the club. You won't regret your decision.

Bob Bergstrom
04-01-2011, 2:29 PM
Welcome to the Mustard group. I have been turning 37 years, (gone through 5 lathes) and when I bought my 3520 I could not believe the difference. I've used the Oneway and while a great machine I can say "NO" at that level because my 3520 does all I ask. I've done coring on a big Oneway and whatever is in that motor is seems to stall less. I believe the Oneway was also a 2hp. I've heard the Robust Vector Drive is something special also.

Cathy Schaewe
04-01-2011, 3:08 PM
I can see now that this is a very dangerous forum to be on as far as my wallet goes.:(:( Way to may weeklings inhabit this place who just do not know how to say NO!!!! :confused::confused:I am proud to say I can say No. :D:D Are there other Creekers like myself or am I the Lone Ranger??:confused::confused:

Someone either already has everything his little heart desires, or is lying ... er exaggerating ... through his teeth! That's just not possible for a turner!

Jon McElwain
04-01-2011, 3:56 PM
I could swear I read this thread about the Mustard Monster a few weeks ago. It's like Dijon Vu, the same mustard as before....

Congrats!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-01-2011, 4:04 PM
I'm another PM owner courtesy of a great deal from Tool Nut. You will be very happy ................. for a while. Color matching attachments will fill your shop. Then visions of white or gray will begin to invade your sleep. Just kidding!! You made the right choice. Enjoy and be safe.
faust

Pete Jordan
04-01-2011, 4:50 PM
Congrats!

That is what I bought as my first lathe and bought a midi later. You will love it!

Larry Marley
04-01-2011, 8:01 PM
Good for you Bob! Great lathe!

Bill Geyer
04-01-2011, 9:15 PM
Dijon Vu?
as a member of the club...
thank you.

Thomas Canfield
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
You are in for a treat. I went from a Jet 1236 to the Powermatic 3520B about 3 years ago and only regret not doing it earlier. The ability to start turning big chunks with the variable speed down to about 150 rpm at start is really nice and having the mass to handle the out of balance is great.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Deciding to upgrade your lathe can be very time consuming and frustrating when it comes to research and determining what fits your needs. Sounds like the class you took made the decision much easier as you actually had hands-on experience! Wish we could all get to use different lathes for a while - just to see if we like them before upgrading!

Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing the photos once it arrives! These things are heavy ... so start planning your setup!

gary Zimmel
04-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Congrats Bob. You are going to love that mustard...