PDA

View Full Version : Storing rough outs

Richard Jones
04-01-2011, 6:15 AM
OK, now that I have this green wood turning thing going full bore, how to store all the rough outs? I plan on keeping them in my basement shop, and my thought is to fabricate some "racks" out of 2x4 wire fence suspended from the ceiling (exposed joists).

Has anyone done something similar, and, will the wire stain the blanks, assuming I remove them from the grocery bag, to the point of being unusable? Is there any problem with leaving them in the bag for the duration? I know I have read about Leo's "mini-kiln" theory, and it makes sense.

Thanks, hope all have a great Friday!!!

Rich

Donny Lawson
04-01-2011, 6:37 AM
I use the plastic coated shelving racks from Lowes or HD. They are cheap and come in about 8ft sections. They come in different widths also. People throw them away here at work and I bring them home. Most are 3-5ft long but work great for me. Also, being plastic coated no bowls are harmed and they are very sturdy.

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 7:29 AM
I have an old Coca-Cola cabinet with peg board and shelves. I can put my R/O's and my dry wood in and lock it up.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 8:09 AM
I have a lot of built-in shelves on one wall an a few of the plastic shelves on another - all work well. One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want your R/Os to get too warm as it will speed up the drying and possibly lead to checking. Having your R/Os stored near the ceiling may not be the best idea because heat rises. Just something to think about...

Richard Jones
04-01-2011, 9:33 AM
Steve,

Understand about the air movement, but I am pretty much out of room anywhere else, and 100+ rough outs would steal all of my wall & floor space. It's pretty cool down there, so I'm hoping for the best.

I'll try and post some pics of my rigging........

Thanks, guys.

Rich