PDA

View Full Version : Dumb mistake puts me out of action for a while.

Dan Forman
04-01-2011, 5:18 AM
I spent much of today, (well now it would be yesterday), cleaning the shop, and with the surface of the jointer clear for the first time in a month or so, got curious to see what a small strip of boxelder burl would look like cleaned up. O I fired up the jointer and ran one face across it a few times. Wanting to see another side, I flipped it over and tried again, but it hung up momentarily, then shot in the other direction, and my left hand went down into the cutter head. Could have been much worse, but I chewed up three fingertips on my left hand a bit - mostly the sides along the nails, but the nails themselves are intact, as are the tips. Took a pretty good chunk out of my ring finger. It was a foolish thing to do, should have used a pusher, but it's a lesson learned.

The ER doc said it would heal ok, but will be sore for a month or so, and I anticipate typing one handed for a while. He gave me a nerve block injection, so for the moment I'm comfortable. I reckon I won't be doing any turning for at least a few weeks. Not how I had expected to spend April. :(

Dan

Keith E Byrd
04-01-2011, 6:15 AM
Dan, I'm sorry about that accident. You are fortunate - so many accidents I have heard about with the jointer are much more destructive. Take care of that hand - time will pass quicker than you think!

Donny Lawson
04-01-2011, 6:29 AM
I hate to hear about your hand. It should heal quickly and you will be turning again in no time. I've ran wood through the jointer plenty of times like that but it will make me re-think that now. I like my fingers. Stay safe.......

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 6:32 AM
Dan, you are really very, very fortunate!! And, this incident may have saved your hand as the next one may have been much worse. Hope you heal soon!

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 6:38 AM
Glad to hear you're, for the most part, ok. It sure could have beem much worse. Just think how many projects you can plan now!

Steve Vaughan
04-01-2011, 6:45 AM
WOW! Could have been so much worse. Glad it wasn't! Get well quick.

Russell Eaton
04-01-2011, 7:20 AM
Hope you recover soon, I had a close call this week as well. I was glad I had a full face shield on.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 7:31 AM
Dan - very sorry to hear of this mishap! Glad it wasn't worse and that you will recover! Take advantage of your time not turning and design a few for when you are able to return!

Roger Chandler
04-01-2011, 7:35 AM
Dan.......sorry to hear of your accident! The jointer is the most dangerous piece of wood working machinery in the shop. Push sticks are the order of the day. I did not like that the ones that came with my jointer only had a foam pad on them which will still allow them to slip during a cut, so I make a longer one and put another piece on the end as a lip in order to get a positive hold on the wood as it goes through. I also put a "D" shaped handle on top, so my hands stay out of the way.

This serves as both a hold down and a pusher which keeps the wood tight against the fence and against the bed of the jointer. I hope you heal fast with no lasting nerve damage or other problems...............that jointer will certainly "knaw you up, boys" as Charles Neil says!!!

Tim Thiebaut
04-01-2011, 7:42 AM
I am very glad it wasnt worse then it was and that you will be back in no time, take care of yourself!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-01-2011, 8:09 AM
Dan,
The table saw gets all the attention in accident discussions. You are the third person I know who has suffered injury from kickback on a jointer. You didn't say but I am sure the piece was short and thick. Those are always the ones that get people. I'm happy you will heal well and sorry you were hurt at all.
faust

Tim Rinehart
04-01-2011, 8:16 AM
Dan, it makes me cringe to think about what happened, but I am glad to hear the prognosis is good. I think alot of us have had close calls...but that one is closer than any of us would care to get to. Hopefully, there's a lesson for us all, as we've all been there with something being done in a hurry, not thinking thru the the entire process, and taking all necessary precautions.
Prayers for a speedy recovery and blessings that it wasn't worse than it was. Your tone sounds like you're greatful it wasn't worse...and you're right that it could have been extremely worse.
Take care of yourself and use that extra time to start envisioning your next projects.

Hayes Rutherford
04-01-2011, 8:58 AM
Dan, I'm very sorry to hear this and relieved it wasn't worse. I still plan to come in next Thursday, let me know if I can help you with anything.

Alan Trout
04-01-2011, 9:09 AM
Dan,

I did the same thing in 08 except I lost about 1/2" off of my middle finger and severed the nerve in my index finger. Lesson learned as I am reminded every day of my stupidity as I have one finger that is shorter with no feeling in it and another that is just numb.

Get better and avoid any more stupidity. I can really empathize with you. We all do those stupid things from time to time its just sometimes we have to pay for the mistake.

Alan.

Fred Perreault
04-01-2011, 9:11 AM
Dan, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. About 25 years ago, the week before Christmas, I was installing a new radiator in one of my large Caterpillar bucket loaders. I had the overhead doors open for the backhoe to hang the radiator shell, heat was escaping, it was early morning, I needed a small shim to set the shell on, so I made a hurried trip to the jointer to process a 20"x2"x3/4" piece of pine down to 3/8" or so. No push sticks, big hurry, and so forth, It did not end well. I had been woodworking during slow winters for few years before that, but wouldn't touch a woodworking machine for a couple of years after. It is amazing the number of things we take for granted when we have all of the parts nature gave us. After a while I got comfortable with the situation and have not looked back, except for the obvious safety lesson. I did create some push blocks for the jointer, and applied coarse sandpaper to the undersides for traction and a small stub to the backend of the righthand slock for better push. I use them all of the time now.

...I wept for I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet....

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 9:18 AM
Dan,

Sounds like it could have been much worse. At least you'll have the people at SMC to feed your turning withdrawals!:D

Allan Ferguson
04-01-2011, 9:26 AM
Dan, sorry to hear of the injury. Work safe. I have seen plenty of injuries as an RN in the ER and know what can and does happen around machinery. Your neighbor to the northwest. Allan.

Mike Peace
04-01-2011, 9:28 AM
So sorry for the mishap. I wish you a speedy recovery. I have a very experience woodworking friend who had a similar incident recently using a router table and had a kickback accident. It makes me think about safety today. I hope it makes me think safety tomorrow and the day after!

dan carter
04-01-2011, 9:32 AM
Darn, your story sends shivers through a collective bunch of wood turners. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you are back in to some turning real soon.

John Pratt
04-01-2011, 9:35 AM
Dan, I am really sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it heals well. I don't think enough people give the jointer the respect it warrants. I don't remember where I first heard it, but there is a sign in my shop the reads, "You can't make potatoes out of potato chips." It hangs over my jointer because I think it is the most dangerous machine in the shop.

Ken Hill
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Hope you heal up fast!

David E Keller
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you get well soon... Glad to hear it's 'only a flesh wound'.

Rich Greinert
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Dan, so sorry to learn of the injury and very glad to hear it didn't result in a greater loss. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery!

Dick Wilson
04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Dan, This not only puts a chill up my spine but comes close to making me sick. It got to me thinking about some of the things I do at the lathe. They may seem harmless...........until the first time you are harmed. I am revisiting every turning move I go through as I start to do it. So far I have caught one approach that made me stop and say "is this a stupid move or what"? I also caught myself wearing the face shield UP as I started to turn. Now we all know that is a stupid move. I think we all are guilty of thinking about "the next masterpiece" instead of the chunk of wood spinning around.

Get well soon my friend, Dick

steven carter
04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Dan,

All mistakes are dumb, and we all make them. I'm glad yours wasn't as bad as it could have been. I join all the others in wishing you a speedy recovery. At least you can use the creek to live vicariously until you are able to get back to the lathe.

Rick Markham
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow! Sorry buddy :(, I'm glad you still have your hand and all your fingers!!! Thank you for posting this, it's a good reminder that it only takes a brief moment of inattention for a mistake to be made. Heal quickly, and stop playing with those pesky flat work machines!:p

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
As soon as I saw the word "jointer" my heart sank. As has been said, you are very lucky the injury was not much worse. But any injury like this is frightening. I'm so sorry to hear of this but so glad the injury was not more severe. Please rest up. You also should know that once your heart rate returns to normal (takes about a week), you need to go back into the shop and find your stomach. It should be there on the floor right near the jointer...

Nathan Hawkes
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear that it wasn't worse. I almost lost my thumb and index finger last year, so I really feel your pain. I ended up with a couple screws/pins in my finger, and major loss of flexion, but I still have all ten fingers. From personal experience, its easier than you think to type with one hand, or with a couple fingers on one hand and all on the other hand. Hope the healing time passes quickly for you, and that you don't have any permanent nerve damage. I can't feel the top side of my index finger much at all, but that is really not important in the grand scheme of things.

Mark Hubl
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Dan,

So sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad to hear that it is not as severe as it could have been. Heal fast.

Rob Cunningham
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Dan, sorry to hear of your accident. The mental image of that makes me cringe. I'm glad it wasn't worse and that you will heal quickly.

ray hampton
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
it could been worse but I am glad that it were not

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident Dan. Glad it wasn't worse. My 6th grade shop teacher only had a part of one thumb. I used to think of him every time I turned on the jointer. Hope you are turning soon!

tom martin
04-01-2011, 2:25 PM
Get well soon Dan, Hope everything heals well.
Tom

Dan Forman
04-01-2011, 2:50 PM
Thanks to all for your comments and concern. I still cringe when I think about how bad it could have been, and why I did what I did in the first place. Had it been earlier in the day, I probably would have been more careful. I certainly will be in the future.

Dan

Jack Mincey
04-01-2011, 3:17 PM
Dan,
Hearing of your accident brought shivers up an down my spine. I had a student years ago take the tip of his ring finger off just a bit when he had a kick back at the jointer. He healed up as good as new as I hope you do. From that day forward I haven't let my students even use the jointer in the school shop. It is the one tool I alone use and I take every precaution I can to be safe on it.
Have a quick recovery.
Jack

ray hampton
04-01-2011, 3:39 PM
Recently , a bulletin came across the wire that I think should concern all woodworkers ,especially those who use power tools ,Citing numerous surveys that conclusively prove power tools can cause serious personal injuries , a private company has filed suit with the National Association of Personal Safety [NAPS] with the goal of prohibiting sales of power tools to non-professional consumers. NAPS ,encouraged by hand tool maker Lee Kneelson , has proposed a moratorium on all corded and cordless power tools

Rob Johnstone, wookworker's Journal

I hope that I not breaking any rules by posting this

Clint Baxter
04-01-2011, 8:48 PM
Glad you made it away with only missing flesh. As has been said here already the jointer can be one dangerous piece of machinery. Couple years back I switched the head on my jointer from a three blade to a Byrd Shelix head. It doesn't have near as much of a tendency since for kickback. There are some other nice features to it as well.

Heal soon, Clint.

Thom Sturgill
04-01-2011, 9:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad it is no worse as it had the potential to be M*U*C*H worse. Get well soon!

Roland Martin
04-01-2011, 9:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, Dan. Hope you're 100% in short order.

Harry Robinette
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear Dan ,Hope you get well soon.After your better and the skin is healed, rub your hand with pure mineral oil. The oil helps keep the joints lubricated and the skin moist so that you don't have trouble later.I know it sounds nuts but it works and I'm proof of that.

Michael James
04-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Dan, thanks for posting this. I have been lucky in the times I have taken shortcuts over the yrs. It is a great reminder to all of us to remember safety 1st - w/out exception. Sincerely glad it was not worse as we all know that flesh and bones are no match for hi RPM sharpened steel. Heal quickly amigo!
mj

Dick Mahany
04-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Dan,

So sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident. Glad you weren't hurt worse as it could have been disasterous ! Thanks for posting this because I know you are a talented and accomplished guy and your post will get many of us re-thinking potentially unsafe operations. After many years of constant vigilance, I recently had a unexpected catch wit a piece too short on my 12 " jointer and am still shaking a week later, but unhurt. No matter how safe we think we are operating, it doesn't take but nano-seconds to realize that somethig wasn't right. Heal well and continue to contribute as you have been !

Regards,

Dan Forman
04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks to all the newcomers to this thread. Hopefully we will all be a little more careful. Got through the first dressing change this evening, poses interesting challenges to do one handed, and really wakes up the nerves, not that they were completely asleep.

Dan

Vince Welch
04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Hi Dan,
Glad your Ok! Why do we do these things when we know better... myself included??? We hear about these things happening from time to time and it is a good time to reflect about shop safety. I do not know how many times I have taken a few cuts without safety glasses on, checking chuck tightness, or whatever. Heal well and take it easy...glad your ok.

Vince

Don Alexander
04-02-2011, 12:38 AM
sorry to hear bout your accident but very glad it wasn't any worse

pretty sure any of us who have done any appreciable amount of woodworking have had a "oh boy, that was DUMB" moment or 2
anytimei have injured myself or come close the first thing that went through my mind was " that was STUPID" .................... after alot of years working with powered and unpowered tools i have come to the conclusion that the most dangerous tool in the shop is the one we get complacent /careless with.

heal fast and go back to making beautiful stuff out of wood :)

John Hart
04-02-2011, 7:46 AM
Yeah..these accidents just happen too quickly. All of mine have occurred when I forget the power of the tool and disregard the respect it demands.....usually when I'm in a hurry. Heal quickly.

Jim Leslie
04-02-2011, 8:05 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't more serious. I had a close call one with my jointer, though not as bad as yours in that there was no red stuff involved; I was running through some wood with leather gloves that were a bit big on me.
Somehow my hand got too close, and the fingertips went into the cutter head and disappeared pretty quickly. It's an event I remember each time I use the jointer now and push sticks are used each time.

Dick Wilson
04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Recently , a bulletin came across the wire that I think should concern all woodworkers ,especially those who use power tools ,Citing numerous surveys that conclusively prove power tools can cause serious personal injuries , a private company has filed suit with the National Association of Personal Safety [NAPS] with the goal of prohibiting sales of power tools to non-professional consumers. NAPS ,encouraged by hand tool maker Lee Kneelson , has proposed a moratorium on all corded and cordless power tools

Rob Johnstone, wookworker's Journal

I hope that I not breaking any rules by posting this

This has got to be an April Fools joke:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed:

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Ooouuuuch! That gave me the willies just reading it. I'm sorry you were hurt, but am glad it wasn't worse.
Good luck, heal quickly and stay safe.

ray hampton
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I HOPE THAT IT WERE A
This has got to be an April Fools joke:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed:

I hope that this were a APRIL FOOL JOKE other-wise we will be giving up a heap of machines ,cars, furnaces ,fridge ,freezers,A C units

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2011, 4:06 PM
When I started woodworking I was cutting a dado too deep. Let up on the pressure of the push block I was using and the board shot out the back. The push block landed right on the stacked dado blade. Lucky I was using a push block. I keep this in my shop to remind me of the near miss.

Richard Kennedy UK
04-02-2011, 4:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your mis-hap glad it wasn't worse. Hope you are feeling better soon and are able to get back to the shop!