PDA

View Full Version : MBF refrub pictures as promised.

Cary Falk
04-01-2011, 3:28 AM
I still need to make a table and align everything but I have to get some other stuff doen first.
Before:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0453.jpg

After:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0459.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0458.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0460.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0462.jpg

mickey cassiba
04-01-2011, 4:29 AM
Nicely done sir!

Tad Capar
04-01-2011, 7:49 AM
Nice job, one question though, is the blade guard original? I noticed 3 spots on it to mount these safety "contraption" (I hope you plan to install them, they really work). I have one RAS just like it, but much older I think and has a "plain" guard on it (original). Since I don't use this saw anymore I did not bother to equip it with the safety guard. Just wondering if that guard was original or after market one?
Have fun using it and stay safe.

ken gibbs
04-01-2011, 7:53 AM
Exactly what is an MBF?

david brum
04-01-2011, 9:08 AM
Beautiful restoration and tasteful color scheme as well! The coiled cord is an especially nice touch. Are you making a Mr Sawdust table?

Neil Brooks
04-01-2011, 9:22 AM
Exactly what is an MBF?

A 3/4HP DeWalt Radial Arm Saw.

In this case, a spectacularly beautiful one :)

Cary: you wanna' describe how you finished this ?? Primer, paint, etc. ?

Really beautiful.

Cary Falk
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice job, one question though, is the blade guard original? I noticed 3 spots on it to mount these safety "contraption" (I hope you plan to install them, they really work). I have one RAS just like it, but much older I think and has a "plain" guard on it (original). Since I don't use this saw anymore I did not bother to equip it with the safety guard. Just wondering if that guard was original or after market one?
Have fun using it and stay safe.
As far as I know the guard is original. I looks like the ones on the other MBFs on OWWM. I don't have any of the safety "contraptions". I thought of making them but I am not sure yet.

Beautiful restoration and tasteful color scheme as well! The coiled cord is an especially nice touch. Are you making a Mr Sawdust table?
I am disappointed with the cord. It hangs off the side of the arm and the carriage gets caught up on it. I am designing a riid stand off that I can put on the outside of the cord to hold it about 3" off the arm. I will eventually get to the Mr Sawdust table.

A 3/4HP DeWalt Radial Arm Saw.

In this case, a spectacularly beautiful one :)

Cary: you wanna' describe how you finished this ?? Primer, paint, etc. ?

Really beautiful.

The finish isn't anything spectatular. I removed the old paint with a combination of wire brush and a cheap siphon fed sand blast gun and glass bead. The paint is all Rusteolum rattle cans. Standard white primer and aluminum primer. The white is just standard white. The dark is Metallic Charcoal. Most of the hardware has been buffed out on cloth wheel with tripole and white buffing compound. I then put a clear coat on them to keep them from tarnishing. The column didn't come out all that shiny. I guess most of the plating is gone. The handles and knobs turned out very well. I polished the aluminum end cap. I painted the Dewalt logo with latex paint then pained the whold thing with primer and white paint. Once the paint was dry, I was able to rub the paint off the logo to expose the polished aluminum below.

Sean Nagle
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I got a tip from Laguna Tools about buying paint for machines [don't ask why this came up].

Ace Hardware carries a paint that is perfect for applying to machinery. I've used it to touchup painted cast iron on an older saw and it worked out very well. The product is Ace Royal Accent / Gloss Oil Accent Colors. They will computer match any color and the pricing was roughly $16/qt or $32/gal which was fairly reasonable for this quality paint. The paint does take DAYS to dry and cure, but that also helps it level out for a very nice glossy finish. I'm sure you'll still need a quality oil-based primer if you're applying it over bare metal.

Joe Angrisani
04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Wonderful, Cary. You should be rightfully proud of that one!

Ryan Hellmer
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
That is a WONDERFUL restoration. Those are great saws. As for the column, it shouldn't have ever been plated. They are machined from one piece of cast iron and frankly, yours cleaned up very well. I have a model MMB (8") and a GK (16") and am hoping to restore the GK soon, this gives me a little more incentive. Thanks

Ryan

Salvatore Buscemi
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I got a tip from Laguna Tools about buying paint for machines [don't ask why this came up].

Ace Hardware carries a paint that is perfect for applying to machinery. I've used it to touchup painted cast iron on an older saw and it worked out very well. The product is Ace Royal Accent / Gloss Oil Accent Colors. They will computer match any color and the pricing was roughly $16/qt or $32/gal which was fairly reasonable for this quality paint. The paint does take DAYS to dry and cure, but that also helps it level out for a very nice glossy finish. I'm sure you'll still need a quality oil-based primer if you're applying it over bare metal.

I don't think he's gonna re-paint it

Sal

Neil Brooks
04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think he's gonna re-paint it

LOL !

But ... it IS a very useful piece of info for anybody else that searches the forum for RAS restoration -- particularly those who have an RAS, and have NOT yet done the cosmetic restoration [like ME :)].

So ... thanks, Sean !

Doug Colombo
04-01-2011, 9:10 PM
Great job !! I have an old Craftsman if you need something to do .... :D

Cary Falk
04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Great job !! I have an old Craftsman if you need something to do .... :D

Hmmmmmmm. As tempting as that offer sounds, I think I will have to pass. I had plenty of stuff to do before I took a time out for this. I am flattered by the offer none the less.:D

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Beautiful restoration, Cary. It is good to have the info on the coiled cord as well.

And that is quite a mobile base you have the saw on. :p