PDA

View Full Version : Pistachio Gavel - turning is done!

Kathy Marshall
04-01-2011, 2:44 AM
So I was going to wait until it was completely finished before posting pics, but I'll probably wait a couple weeks before starting on the WOP and patience was never one of my virtues :D
I have to say I like how this turned out. There are some things I would change if I had to do it over again, but it was a good learning experience, learned some new tricks thanks to the link Jason posted on another thread (thanks again Jason!).

I was hoping the sapwood/heartwood in the handle would line up ok with the head, and it beat all my expectations. This was pure luck. When I cut the blank for the handle, I knew there would be some sapwood but I didn't cut it in a specific way in order to get the border of the heartwood in a specific place.
The base has a beaded edge, didn't realize until I came in to download the pics that I didn't get a profile shot, didn't get the bottom either for that matter. Oh well. Also the base should darken up a bit like the head and handle are doing.

I think I may try another with some dry wood that I purchased (walnut or bubinga), since this one was turned green and may crack.

189273 189271 189274189272 189270

Thanks for looking!
Comments are alway welcome.

David E Keller
04-01-2011, 3:26 AM
That looks great, Kathy. I hope it doesn't crack... It's too nice for cracks. I might consider putting some kind of finish on now just to slow the drying... Paste wax?

Kathy Marshall
04-01-2011, 3:43 AM
That looks great, Kathy. I hope it doesn't crack... It's too nice for cracks. I might consider putting some kind of finish on now just to slow the drying... Paste wax?

What I've started doing, which has been working so far, is to give a coat or two of some type of oil (DO, BLO, Tung), then I put it in a ziplock freezer bag. I usually check them each day to see how much condensation is building up in the bag, it there's alot (droplets beading on the inside of the bag) I'll open it up and let some of the moist air out, then seal it back up. I do that for 1-2 weeks depending on how wet the wood is. As long as the wood is releasing noticeable moisture, then I keep the bag sealed. Once the moisture has decreased enough, then I leave the bag cracked open a little (and keep checking to make sure it doesn't start drying too quickly). As it progresses, I open the bag more until I leave it wide open and then take the piece out and then put the final finish coats on.
So far it's worked, of course I may find out I've just been lucky so far.

One result of this process is that it seems to change the color of the wood depending on the oil I used. I'll post a pick of the NE pistachio bowl I did last week. The color has really changed and I think I might like it (more of a rustic look), I also have a couple olive pieces from the same tree 1 with this process and 1 without and there is a noticeable difference.

John Keeton
04-01-2011, 6:43 AM
Kathy, you should have just taken credit for that excellent line-up of the sapwood!!! Looks great. I use a lot of BLO, and it does darken the wood initially, brings out the color of the wood, etc. And, it will darken even more over time - certainly a consideration when finishing as sometimes it is not a desirable trait.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2011, 7:38 AM
I am impressed with how well this project turned out! Planned or not - you created a piece where the sapwood lines up beautifully and you should be very happy with the resulting visual effect! I will keep my fingers crossed that the gavel dries without problem! Nice work on this - very nice!

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 9:20 AM
That turned out great! Great job with lining up the sapwood/heartwood!

Jeff Myroup
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Very nice. Great turning. I really like this

Rick Markham
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Cathy, looks great, I hope I'm never on the receiving end of that when it is rapping in court... I've had good luck with using a couple of coats of dewaxed shelac as a sealer, until I get around to finishing something. It seems to let it breath a small amount but not dry out, so far I haven't had any semi wet, partially turned or unfinished pieces crack on me. Granted none of them were full on wet wood.

Mark Hubl
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
That turned out great. The handle looks very good with the head. Nice job lining it up. Good luck with the drying.

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 1:10 PM
Great looking gavel out of some beautiful wood! Hope the drying goes well. Take it slow!

Thom Sturgill
04-01-2011, 1:33 PM
Cathy thats a nice job. Gavels are a fun project and a good way to hone spindle skills. Some of us down here use a similar technique where we close up a large plastic bag and just invert it every day to start. That lets the moisture that has condensed on the bag evaporate while the bag is inverted, but would not work with a zip-lock.

Prashun Patel
04-01-2011, 1:53 PM
Lovely! I really like yr decision to stick with the same wood on the handle instead of going the dyed route. Just my 2c. Really beautiful.

Dan Forman
04-01-2011, 2:03 PM
That is a really fine looking set, the sap:hart ratio is just right. Don't know how pistatio compares to elm, but I turned a green, solid, one piece prototype for a peppermill, just to experiment with shape, soaked it pretty well with Antique oil, left it out in the open to dry, and it hasn't shown any sign of cracking yet. That was over a week ago. Don't know if I'd want to take a chance on that lovely set though. Elm is pretty porous wood.

Dan

Jon Nuckles
04-01-2011, 2:12 PM
Kathy, I'm no judge, but that is a very nice gavel!

Michael James
04-01-2011, 2:32 PM
Awesome piece Kathy! Beats everything I see at work by a longshot. Very nice, indeed.
mj

Cathy Schaewe
04-01-2011, 2:57 PM
Kathy, I am a judge, and that's a mighty fine piece! Very nice!

Don Alexander
04-02-2011, 1:21 AM
gorgeous piece of wood and excellent execution as well ........................ hmmmm............................................. .................................................. ........ execution might be a poor choice of words considering the piece :eek::D:D:eek:

John Hart
04-02-2011, 7:37 AM
What a cool hammer!!! :)

I really think this is a very pretty piece. Good luck on the drying. I do have a question....is the head, on the striking face slightly cupped? If so, do you get a better sound that way.

From one of the pics...it seemed so, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Michelle Rich
04-02-2011, 7:41 AM
Love the wood contrast..you used it to the best advantage. Now when you yell that dinner is on the table, you have some heft behind you, to help everyone get to the table on time!

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
That's a cool gavel. Great job lining up the sapwood. ;)