PDA

View Full Version : Jet 8" Jointer

Jack Harrington
03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Just getting started--I've found a Jet JJ-8CS, 8" jointer, two years old--never used. $500. Whats the chance of finding a better deal of any brand? Should I stroll over to see the jointer, or should I run over?

Mike Cruz
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Not sure what they go for new. Run price would be 1/3 of new. 1/2 would be worth it. I wouldn't spend more than that because at that point, you are taking a chance at the previous owner's misuse causing repair work to exceed the new cost. Even coming close to new cost makes it then not worth it. I picked up a DJ-20 Delta 8" Jointer (1991) for $400. Thought that was a good price.

Bill Rogers
04-01-2011, 7:48 AM
According to the Rockler website they are (unavailable) just under $1,300.00 new.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17103

Bill Leonard
04-01-2011, 8:12 AM
If in fact it was "never used", then it sounds like a real gloat to me.

Mike Cruz
04-01-2011, 8:14 AM
If Bill R is right, sounds like a jump on it deal...

Bob Lloyd
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
They are about $1,250-$1,300 new. If it is truly never used or only lightly used then it is a steal. If I was looking I would be moving fast. But check it out carefully.

Jack Harrington
04-02-2011, 7:28 PM
Because of my budget and the need to buy other tools, I had planned to start with something like a used 6" Ridgid jointer that I could buy for $200-$250. Now as my favorite news commentator, Paul Harvey, use to say--"now for the rest of the story". The owner had purchased the Jet 8" jointer and a Jet planer (already sold) as first tools to start a cabinet business with a friend. For whatever reasons, the plans fell through, and the business was never started. He stored the jointer and planer ( and I assume other goods) in a climate controled warehouse where it sat for the several years. Did I mention unassembled? My inspection went well, and man is it heavy! Yep, bought and brought it home! More $$ than I had planned to spend, but this one will last my lifetime!

Thanks to all who had words of caution and encouragement. Excuse me, but I must leave the room. I feel a huge gloat coming on!:)

Mike Cruz
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Great story. Loved reading it. But since I don't see any pics, I can't congratulate you on the purchase or a gloat... :)

Jack Harrington
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I stopped assembly to share this photo. You can see plenty of what I believe is cosmoline on the bed. After we set the table on the base and took the photos, I noticed the table is 180 degrees off on the base. Too late, my friend is gone and I couldn't rotate it myself.:( The small can of touchup paint is visable along with the "motor starter" yet to be mounted.

Mike Cruz
04-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow, Jack, it looks practically brand new! Congrats! Except for the fact that you sent your friend away before the job was done...not enough beer? Not enough food? What happened?

Jack Harrington
04-04-2011, 11:58 PM
What about not enough food and too much beer?:D