PDA

View Full Version : Another xmas present - Kids Play Stove

Greg Scott
01-28-2005, 3:21 PM
Made this one for the grandaughter, she just loves to play with her little dishes so now she can make me some dinner on the stove. It's Oak with walnut accents.
Greg

Jim Fancher
01-28-2005, 3:23 PM
Ok, that is pretty darn cute. Original design?

Greg Scott
01-28-2005, 3:25 PM
Jim,
Original plan, I guess you could call it that I just stole ideas from others that I've along with some of my own ideas.
Thanks,
Greg

Ok, that is pretty darn cute. Original design?

Jim Young
01-28-2005, 3:27 PM
Pretty fancy. Never saw that before. Better not let my kids see this pic.

Marc Hills
01-28-2005, 3:35 PM
Now that is just beautiful, Greg. I think the words "future family heirloom" are in order for this one! You have one lucky little granddaughter there! Great job!

You realize that everyone who sees that will ask you if you're gonna make any more for other friends, relatives or for sale, don't you? If you ever want to further distinguish your own design, consider increasing the height of the arch on the back panel and carry over your wonderful walnut trim theme with a pretend kitchen clock. Make the hands moveable. Increases play value, provides an educational element and adds to the cuteness factor.

Thanks for sharing!

Greg Scott
01-28-2005, 3:40 PM
Marc,
I love the idea of the clock idea, I'll remember that for the next one. I wish I could get some orders to sell some of these to help offset some of my shop expense, but to date I have very few paying customers, in monetary value that is. :)
Greg

Now that is just beautiful, Greg. I think the words "future family heirloom" are in order for this one! You have one lucky little granddaughter there! Great job!

You realize that everyone who sees that will ask you if you're gonna make any more for other friends, relatives or for sale, don't you? If you ever want to further distinguish your own design, consider increasing the height of the arch on the back panel and carry over your wonderful walnut trim theme with a pretend kitchen clock. Make the hands moveable. Increases play value, provides an educational element and adds to the cuteness factor.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim Becker
01-28-2005, 4:32 PM
Extraordinarily cute!! Definitely a step above the plastic things that dominate in the stores, too. A real heirloom.

Pete Harbin
01-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Very nice! And your grandaughter will be able to give it to her grandaughter. Our god-daughter just received one (plastic, store bought) and two of the cabinet doors pop off regularly already.

Nice combo of wood too.

Pete

Chris DeHut
01-29-2005, 1:13 PM
Hi Scott,

That is a great project you did there. While many woodworkers think that projects of that nature are "beneath" them, they are really missing out on one of the best parts of woodworking, the fun stuff. Not only did you create a fun "toy", you did a great job on it.

About a year ago we did a story on a "Pirates treasure chest" with the intention dads and grandpas ("Paca" in my case), could have some fun with the kids. Constructing it was a lot of fun, but the real fun was the day I took my granddaughter on her treasure hunt. It was an adventure and she got a lot of neat "Jewels" too. I will treasure that day for many years! I am sure you will probably have as much enjoyment out of watching her play with it as she has with it.

Great project and thanks for sharing it!

Chris DeHut

Tony Falotico
01-29-2005, 7:29 PM
I wish I could get some orders to sell some of these to help offset some of my shop expense, but to date I have very few paying customers, in monetary value that is. :)
Greg

I built something very similar a few Christmas's back along with a matching refrigerator. Had way too much fun building it! :D :D :D

Several people asked if I would make them a set, when I quoted a price they disappeared never to be heard from again. Most folks don't appreciate the time and expense it takes to build a quality unit, they would rather buy plastic for less.

BTW, first granddaughter has kind of out grown it :( , second one plays with it daily :) .

Steve Inniss
01-30-2005, 7:50 AM
Greg,
NNnnniiiicccceee!

Ditto what I said about the kids table and chairs project you made.
I remember every piece my Grandad made for me - even a pedal car he fabbed out of steel and wood with lights, mirror, ivory(simulated?) steering wheel etc. and have forgotten every other, of thousands of toys I owned - 'cept GI Joe of course. -Steve