PDA

View Full Version : Rotary engraver? Rotary attachment? for duck calls

Amy Shelton
03-31-2011, 8:56 PM
I wasn't sure what to put as a subject line. Guess that was obvious.

A customer wants duck calls engraved; he doesn't have them made yet.
I explained the way the laser works, engraving flat (on a plane), and that I don't have a rotary attachment. He said he could probably give me enough business to justify buying one. This will be engraving on acrylic, polycarbonate, and wood, color-filling as necessary. I'm not sure how far around he wants the engraving; the ones he showed me that he purchased were less than half-way around.

We are looking into buying a rotary attachment, but I've read where people have had trouble with it slipping, etc.

Then we had the idea of getting a rotary engraver instead. I see one advertised to engrave on a bowed or uneven surface. I've never even seen a rotary engraver in action in person. Well, for that matter, I've never seen a rotary attachment in person either.

Another challenge is that the duck calls may have a steep angle up, as well as needing to be engraved around it.

What would you use to tackle this engraving... a rotary attachment? or a rotary engraver?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!!
Amy

Chuck Stone
03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I've done them on a rotary attachment. Sounds like he's turning them on a lathe.
How many is he making that you could afford to buy an attachment to engrave
text .. at what, $4-5 per unit? That's a lot of duck calls!

Mike Null
03-31-2011, 11:07 PM
And I'd be surprised if he'll pay $4 or $5 per unit. I've never done any duck calls because we couldn't agree on price. Expect a fair number of rejects as well. Who's going to pay for them?

Dan Hintz
04-01-2011, 5:54 AM
He said he could probably give me enough business to justify buying one.
NEVER purchase equipment on someone's promise of work... it never works out. If you must purchase before payment, make sure you have a signed contract for a minimum number of items to be engraved (and realize it puts you on the hook, too).

Those of us who have been doing this a while know promises turn into "Sorry, I decided to go with someone else", or "Sorry, I went a different route" real quick, leaving you holding the bag.

David Fairfield
04-01-2011, 9:16 AM
Good advice here. Regarding the application, heavy large objects with minimal taper work best for me on the rotary. The object you describe seems to be small, lightweight with a lot of taper. So I see potential there for a lot of rejects and frustration. If you do decide to take the job, you might consider a fixture or jig to better interface the object to the rotary.

Dave

Bruce Boone
04-01-2011, 9:36 AM
I use my rotary to do graphics around my rings. I was able to make a special fixture that plugs into a hole at the end of the aluminum cone that comes on the unit. You can make an aluminum plug-in piece that is held in place by the friction of some O-rings that you put around the shank. It works very well, and I can change it out for other fixtures, such as one to hold a pen body or other ones.

Chris DeGerolamo
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I did some a few years back and ended up laying them on the bed to engrave them. The logo fit on the top "face" so focus was not an issue. I will say that I remember putting them on the rotary and they slipped all over the place due to the low weight. You would have to make some sort of rod to pass thru them to lay on the rotary.

And +1 on what Dan and Mike said. My *lost* customer had previously had them screened; we were not even close to that cost for laser engraving.

Dan Hintz
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I was able to make a special fixture that plugs into a hole at the end of the aluminum cone that comes on the unit. You can make an aluminum plug-in piece that is held in place by the friction of some O-rings that you put around the shank.
When doing wine bottles, I found the bottle's mouth fits perfectly in that cone hole... saves some time.

Neil Pabia
05-03-2011, 9:04 PM
Amy, I was just hooked up with someone making rotary attachments for several different laser types, he is building one for my epilog with a chuck that is about a third the cost of anyone else, if you want his name please send me a PM and I will give you his info. I don't know if I am allowed to post it on the forum.

Chuck Stone
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
it's OK Neil .. he posts here himself.

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 6:11 AM
Chuck,

If it's who I'm thinking of, he posted his website several times against the site's TOS. I suggest keeping it to PMs until that settles down.

Steve Clarkson
05-04-2011, 8:50 AM
And I'd be surprised if he'll pay $4 or $5 per unit. I've never done any duck calls because we couldn't agree on price. Expect a fair number of rejects as well. Who's going to pay for them?

As a matter of fact, some one just asked about this last week.....he wanted them engraved around the duck call, so using the rotary would be required.......I offered to do them for $2 each and he said that he already had someone to do them for $0.75 each.....I wouldn't even plug my rotary in for that price.

Martin Boekers
05-04-2011, 9:15 AM
As a matter of fact, some one just asked about this last week.....he wanted them engraved around the duck call, so using the rotary would be required.......I offered to do them for $2 each and he said that he already had someone to do them for $0.75 each.....I wouldn't even plug my rotary in for that price.

Steve,

Isn't it amazing, he's getting them at $.75ea and is still looking to get it cheaper!

Martin Boekers
05-04-2011, 9:24 AM
Here is another thought, may not work for this instance but always nice to have it in the
back of your head for a different way of doing things.

www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm (http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm)

Chuck Stone
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Yep .. Ken laser cuts the parts out of one blank and makes a negative blank with
the matching holes in it. You assemble/glue/sand etc.
I got a box of the parts blanks. Might have a dozen pieces cut out of it. I
cast them with a contrasting resin color and the effect was fun. Wouldn't
sell them, but it was a kick to try it out.

Martin Boekers
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Yep .. Ken laser cuts the parts out of one blank and makes a negative blank with
the matching holes in it. You assemble/glue/sand etc.
I got a box of the parts blanks. Might have a dozen pieces cut out of it. I
cast them with a contrasting resin color and the effect was fun. Wouldn't
sell them, but it was a kick to try it out.

It's amazing how far they have come with this!

This indexer is another one of those projects that I want to play with when I find some free time.;)

Amy Shelton
05-05-2011, 9:10 AM
Thanks, everyone for the informative replies. I have done a few tests, engraving as far as I can to the edge without a rotary, and I'll show it to the <potential> customer soon. I am not sure if I understand Ken's designs; when I first look at the Epilog article a while back, I thought it was something to attach to a rotary attachment, and I didn't read it thoroughly. Now looking at it again, am I understanding it correctly: that this jig is used without a rotary attachment? That is nifty!

Neil Pabia
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Amy, I was just hooked up with someone making rotary attachments for several different laser types, he is building one for my epilog with a chuck that is about a third the cost of anyone else, if you want his name please send me a PM and I will give you his info. I don't know if I am allowed to post it on the forum.

it's OK Neil .. he posts here himself.

Chuck,

If it's who I'm thinking of, he posted his website several times against the site's TOS. I suggest keeping it to PMs until that settles down.
It's probably not worth contacting him, it seems he doesn't deliver and now won't bother to reply. Can't wait for my next visit to Camp Lejeune.

Chuck Stone
06-29-2011, 12:39 PM
It's probably not worth contacting him, it seems he doesn't deliver and now won't bother to reply. Can't wait for my next visit to Camp Lejeune.

jegs! jpegs!