PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Manzanita Burl Experience

Jim Heikes
03-31-2011, 5:22 PM
In the next week or so I am going to rough out a bowl from a rather large manzanita burl (approx 16 x 10 x 8). Any words of wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike McAfee
03-31-2011, 5:50 PM
Manz is fun to turn but I'm not sure it EVER stops moving! I had a 40# hunk sitting in my shop for a couple years and every once and a while I'd hear a POP and if was the Manz burl!

Have fun but understand that what you see when you shut down at the end of the day may not be the same when ya see it next! ;)

MMc

Michael Ginsberg
03-31-2011, 5:54 PM
I bought a few pieces. They all cracked before I could turn them. Hope you have better luck with yours. Perhaps put in water until you turn... I also understand that it is common to hit pockets of dirt and gravel- be careful.

Cathy Schaewe
03-31-2011, 10:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, somebody posted a rather extensive thread about turning a manzanita burl, with lots of pics ... maybe the mods can find it. Or I could have imagined it ...;)

Larry Dubia
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, somebody posted a rather extensive thread about turning a manzanita burl, with lots of pics ... maybe the mods can find it. Or I could have imagined it ...;)

The turner in question Greg Ketell. I gave him the beast to play with. 45 lbs. He had a great time with it.
Here is the link to the thread concerning the bowl he turned. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148749-a-tease-aka-quot-I-m-afraid!-quot

Larry

Rick Markham
03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
I loved turning my piece, I have 3 more large whole burls, and on small one left to turn. Yes it can be a little nail biting at times... totally worth it though! The cracks are some serious character in it, but also the risk. Greg Ketell's thread is excellent. Mine is somewhere around too, though not as extensive as his! Have fun with that beast, you will love it.