PDA

View Full Version : New work vise

Bill Rittner
03-31-2011, 4:26 PM
This is a workholding vise I designed and built to hold plane totes while I shape them. It occurred to me that it could be useful for many other things. I put it in either of my bench vises. Both screw handles are on the same side to allow the workpiece to be held with one hand while tightening the vise with the other. It also gets the handles out of the way.

Mike Davis NC
03-31-2011, 7:15 PM
Good idea, i like it. I need one too.

Dave Anderson NH
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Nicely done Bill. The design is almost identical to one of the old wooden hand screws with one of the legs cut off and the handles shifted to the other side. It makes great sense for someone who wants to hold irregular shapes but doesn't want to spend the bucks on an Emmert or one of its clones.

george wilson
04-11-2011, 3:29 PM
In 1970,when I first hired Marcus Hansen,because we were making musical instruments,lots of parts were tapered. Marcus made a vise similar to that one,except the nuts for the screws were semi circular,so the vise jaw would swivel. This was one of the first things Marcus had EVER made. He was still using the vise until just a few years ago,when we were all laid off. The vise he made,with all those parts,seemed delicate. But,it never broke. Of course,no one but us,mostly Marcus,used it.