PDA

View Full Version : "Parfait" The Anticlimax

David DeCristoforo
03-31-2011, 4:18 PM
Nuff said… here is the finished piece:

As with pretty much everything I have ever made, I liked this more when I was making it than I do now that it is finished.

What I like best about it: Something that the picture cannot convey is the way the lid kind of snaps into the cup with a satisfying little click.

What I like least about it: The pedestal could be about a half inch taller. The pedestal in my final drawing looked to be the perfect height. I had planned to make the lid from a piece of the sap wood so that there would only be one color transition. The idea to transition back to heart wood at the top came "in the moment". I like the way it worked out but there was an unforeseen "side effect". The darker wood at the top addd some "weight" making the piece seem taller than it really is. So, visually, this affected the relationship between the height of the pedestal and the height of the overall piece. The next time I do one of these "planned pieces" I will add some shading to represent the wood tones.

Tim Rinehart
03-31-2011, 4:30 PM
David,
That's a beauty. Any chance of a pic looking down on the top, without the lid? I think we can all appreciate the 'snap' factor.
Well done!

Cathy Schaewe
03-31-2011, 4:55 PM
You may find it anticlimactic; I find it stunning. I expect it will fetch a pretty penny -

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-31-2011, 5:01 PM
Once again, "Ditto". Una Bella opera d'arte.
faust

Jim Adkins
03-31-2011, 5:15 PM
This is about as good as it gets!! A very nicely executed piece and yes.....I too
think it will fetch a pretty penny. Nice job David, well thought-out and turned.

John Keeton
03-31-2011, 5:23 PM
David, those are usually the same feelings I have upon completion of a piece - particularly one that has required a lot of planning. Seems the more I plan, the higher the expectations.

The overall impact of this one is very good. I understand what you are saying on the color transition with the lid. The "shoulder" on the lid seems a little more abrupt than do the other curves on the piece - the bottom of the cup and the top of the pedestal base - and the dark color against the photo backdrop seems to emphasis that. In person, against a different background, I suspect the look is entirely different. The finial could be shorter, but with the elements you have, that would be difficult.

One must look at the complexities of this turning - there are a lot of elements, the tool control is superb, the curves, coves and rolls are very, very well done, the finish is excellent, the composition of the piece is "involved" and far beyond the skills of most. I don't see where anyone could take anything away from what you have done here. It is a winner in many respects, and certainly deserves a prime spot in a gallery.

I disagree with the "anti-climatic" denotation!!

Jim Burr
03-31-2011, 5:37 PM
I'd have to echo all the good...negate the bad, and offer a reason for the coloring of the lid. If it truly is a parfait…what's a parfait without chocolate syrup on the top? Does it get any better?

Dan Forman
03-31-2011, 5:38 PM
The form is divine, the wood spectacular, the look is sheer elegance, watching the thought process behind the design and creation: priceless. Thank you!

Dan

Bob Bergstrom
03-31-2011, 5:43 PM
Looks great and I thank you for taking the time to show us all how you did it. I would think if you were to sell it the buyer should like the tutorial documentation. Thanks again for sharing beautiful piece.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 6:09 PM
David,

There are always things we would change on our work - in hindsight. If possible - don't fall into that trap. Looking at this piece - I understand that this curve or that length could be changed - but the truth of it is that every angle, curve and edge is clean. Everything comes together well and you have created a very stylish and unique parfait! Your gallery will be pleased to get it and I suspect it won't be there long!

For my taste - I really like the way you duplicated the goblet form in the finial - especially matching the wood like you did! It's the little extra details like that that grabs everyone's attention!

Super clean work! I like it and am looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Mark Hubl
03-31-2011, 6:56 PM
David,

Well done. The piece is a beauty. The rosewood is beautiful, love the light rim. Thanks for the tutorial along the way. Sorry to hear you are suffering from "next syndrome". I think that it is just par for the course. Really nice work.

David E Keller
03-31-2011, 7:06 PM
Looks good to me. I think it's easier to turn something from a mental image than to match a turning to an actual diagram... You can't fake the latter. You've done heck of a job executing your plan... All of it made more agonizing by the fact that you posted your plan before the turning was done. Thanks for sharing the process with us... Ya done good!

Allan Ferguson
03-31-2011, 7:09 PM
Gorgeous! We are all to often our worst critic.

Roger Chandler
03-31-2011, 7:21 PM
Hardly a thing could be added to what has been said...........a well thought out design, executed with finesse and skill..........made out of some gorgeous wood.........what a palette! Now, the artist.........your conceptual has been taken from your mind and put into your hands, and brought to life. That is no small accomplishment............and to beat it all, you shared the process of how you did it, and educated aspiring "artists" on the way it is done.

David, you added to the value of this communication medium called SMC............things like this tutorial is why so many come here, and you can just watch the personal growth of individual turners after they are exposed to works such as these and Steves, John's, and many others who post here, but if I tried to name them all, then surely I would leave someone out that is deserving of accolades as well.

Thanks for your tutorial!

gary Zimmel
03-31-2011, 7:39 PM
A good plan that was executed very well. Real nice work David, real nice.
And thanks for taking us for the ride... She turned out beautiful.

Hayes Rutherford
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
David, this is an outstanding combination of skill and artistry. I sure appreciate you taking the time to post the planning process, something I need to do more of. If it doesn't sell, just raise the price!!

Rick Markham
03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
I think it turned out spectacularly! I think part of this "thing" is never being truly satisfied. Funny how that perfectionist thing works... chasing something that isn't truly obtainable, yet the desire to obtain it only grows with each attempt.

Baxter Smith
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Great looking turning out of beautiful wood! I admire but don't neccessarily envy those who can plan in such careful detail. You did good!

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
David,

I'm not sure why you are so hard on yourself all the time. With all of the thought and planning that went into this 'Parfait', You should be proud of the outcome! It's just beautiful with great form, great color, etc....

You are just too hard on yourself!

Michelle Rich
04-01-2011, 7:44 AM
Give yourself a break..it is exquisite. Quit picking on this piece. It is Superb. Go make another and try to make it better. I love this, so quit picking on it! :-) :-)

Russell Eaton
04-01-2011, 8:20 AM
I too think it is a beautiful piece. It was a pleasure to watch as you went through the design and execution of the project. Thanks for showing the process of your parfait.

Peter Lamb
04-01-2011, 9:03 AM
I echo Michelle's thoughts! Thank you for sharing with us.

Richard Kennedy UK
04-01-2011, 9:09 AM
David for me what emerges from your how to and subsequent anti climactic feeling is that I respect you as a turner more than I would have done had you popped up and said the finished object was great. To feel that disapointment having finished what is to outside eyes a fantastic piece is, I think, the true craftsman at work. We all bandy about talk of you never learn it all and every day you learn something new but your comment demonstrates perfectly the desire true craftsmen (and women) have to achieve.

The pots not to shabby either!!!

Great piece and great sentiment looking forward to seeing another one soon!

David Reed
04-01-2011, 9:56 AM
As in many events or accomplishments we engage in, it is the journey which fascinates and enthralls us to a much greater extent than the destination. After the thrill and excitement of creating something of beauty and interest, I am often a bit deflated when that part of the process ends. From here, what represents so many hours of thoughtful and thought provoking labour merely is placed upon a shelf to gather dust and we move on to reengage with a new voyage. All quite normal feelings and the more effort and 'hype' experienced during the process, the more easily and deeper the depression.
Of course this is all within your mind and in no way diminishes the skill you displayed in the execution this piece. Each curve, each crisp detail, so many small and individually designed elements you have skillfully formed and assembled into a very fine piece of art demonstrates that you are indeed a master.
I cannot think of anything I have ever made which if given the opportunity to do again would not have been done at least slightly differently but even then I would not achieve that unobtainable perfection (not that I would often take that opportunity for a 'do-over').
You have skillfully exploited in a delightful way some of the wondrous offerings of nature. Now is the time to do it all over again

mike holden
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
This is a lovely piece!

Yes, the next one will be better.
As my instructor told me: "you will never be worse than you are right now"

Enjoy the accolades, you deserve them.
Thank you for letting us ride along with you on this one.
Mike

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanx to all for the kind comments. FWIW, I don't feel like I'm being too hard on myself. I have expressed before, my feeling that perfection is something we should strive for in all areas of our lives, all the while realizing that we will never achieve it. It's not that I am not happy with this turning. I am. I can compare the pedestal and finial to some of the ones in my earlier pieces and take pleasure it the obvious improvement. I can appreciate the fact that it is a "good" piece that I can take some pride in. But the interest the inherent beauty of the wood adds to this piece is something I can take absolutely no credit for and I can also see that there are at least a dozen ways that it could be improved upon. So the journey continues...

Thanx again...

steven carter
04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and my eye says "BEAUTIFUL"! My other hobby besides turning is golf, and both share the immutable fact the perfection is unobtainable, but what fun it is trying to get there! I sometimes play a round of golf that others would almost die to play, but I know that it could have been much better, and turning is just the same.

Trevor Howard
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM
It turned out Beautiful David, Thank you for taking the time to document and let us share the ride with you.

Tim Thiebaut
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I think that we can all be to hard on ourselfs at times, but David this piece is absolutly beautiful....this should be in the gallery with your other pieces I think, excellent work!

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2011, 4:27 PM
Thanx again for the positive comments. I have tried golf... once. I agree with you on that "perfection is unobtainable". For me "perfection" would be actually being able to hit the ball...

Don Alexander
04-02-2011, 1:38 AM
David;

i think you have a pretty good balance of satisfaction with your work and recognition that there is always room to improve; and in my opinion that dichotomy is a large part of what drives your incredibly creative and very well done pieces of art. "Perfection" would not improve your work , rather it would ruin your enjoyment of it. Perfect wood is boring , thus we turners are always on a quest to find the ultimate piece of imperfect wood and thankfully there is always a more imperfect piece to find.
don't remember who actually said it , but its still good advice "above all else , to thine own self be true"

and keep posting the pics so we can all continue to enjoy your journey

Don

John Hart
04-02-2011, 7:11 AM
I am envious of your eye, David. You seem to know what the balance should be, and are somewhat dissatisfied with falling short of achieving that "perfect" form. Me? I don't have a clue. I rely on others to tell me where I screwed up, then I try to compensate on the next piece. I have no eye. I look at this piece and see elegance and balance.

.....'Course then, you could take that as an insult....since I have no eye. :) Nevertheless, I think it is beautiful. I tip my hat.

....Oh..and on your troubles with your golf game....that's easy. You're standing too close to the ball.....after you hit it. :)

Brian Effinger
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Beautiful form, David. :) I think we're all critical of our own work - it is what pushes us to grow and become better at this.

Roland Martin
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
IMHO, this is an absolutely gorgeous turning, makes me want to run out to the ice cream shop. All of the crisp details are simply perfect, well as close to perfect as one can get:)
Thanks for sharing.

Curt Fuller
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm late to comment, but Wow, what a beauty! One of the nicest of this style I've ever seen.

I've read some (not all) of the prior post leading up to this and I'll add 2 cents worth on a lesson I was taught about design on any form. Take one of your photos and photoshop it so the entire form, base, vase, and finial are all black. Then you can study the actual form without letting the wood overwhelm your opinion. This piece of wood is so nice that anything you could make from it would be nice. But taking away the oohs and awes of the wood and just studying the actual form might change your mind (and might not).

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 12:33 PM
"I have no eye"

I'm cracking up here because I'm hearing Rodney Dangerfield. Did you see "Back to School"? There's a scene where he's trying to hit on his prof played by Sally Kellerman. He keeps asking her out and she keeps telling him "I have class." Finally he gives her his phone number and says "Call me some time when you have no class."

Anyway, thanx again to everyone for the comments.

David Pearson
04-02-2011, 5:43 PM
After seeing that, I am going to collect all of my turnings and have a bonfire. That is excellent.

Richard Madden
04-02-2011, 8:24 PM
I like this piece so much, I have saved the drawings and finished pics. I think you did an excellent job, and I appreciate the WIP photos.

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
"...I have saved the drawings and finished pics..."

I'd be glad to send you a PDF of the "actual size" images...

Kathy Marshall
04-03-2011, 2:33 AM
Beautiful, beautiful piece David!
I really like the entire piece, but how you oriented the sapwood is excellent! My only critique is that I'm not quite tall enough to reach the bar that you set so high!

David DeCristoforo
04-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanx Kathy. But, as I said at the beginning of the "start to finish" thread, I'm not the one who set this bar!