PDA

View Full Version : blank slate shop

michael a nelson
03-31-2011, 1:39 PM
i am going to be building a new shop declensions 28' x 40' it is going to have 10' ceilings and maybe a second floor with 7' ceilings it has to have an office a bathroom and small parking are just enough to fit one car i want it to have air and heat plenty of windows
also i want in wall air compression lines and i want a cyclone dust collector
tools ive already decided on
3hp sawstop professional table saw
grizzly 20in planer
grizzly 8 in jointer
grizzly 18 in drum sander open end
6'',80'' edge sander
2hp cyclone dust collector
so far im up to 10000 anything else i can think about

Greg Portland
03-31-2011, 3:10 PM
1) Please use punctuation
2) You'll need an air compressor to use those air lines
3) A 2HP DC is far to small given the size of the structure and size of the tools (5HP Oneida would be a good option & would allow for some growth)
4) You need to factor in the cost of ductwork for the collector (not cheap)
5) You are -way- above 10k in costs (even if you were remodeling an existing structure). Electrical and plumbing hookups are going to be a major expense depending on where this building is located.

Norman Hitt
03-31-2011, 3:45 PM
What, No Bandsaw or Drill Press? How about Router, Router Table (either bought or shop Built), Router lift, Good Fence for Router Table, Oscillating Spindle Sander, & +2 on a 2 hp DC being Waaaaaay too small, especially to be effective on a 20" planer.

Prashun Patel
03-31-2011, 3:50 PM
Can you make a separate finishing room and a separate sanding room with direct fan venting to the outside? I long for these.

I can't imagine life w/o a bandsaw. I have a 14" but wish I had the larger resaw capacity of a 17" saw. If yr on a budget, can you live w/o the drum sander?
An ambient air cleaner is a nice-to-have.
Are you going to get a shaper or router table?

Are you planning to do any hand tool work? If yes, then you can spend a good couple G's on planes and chisels and sharpening equipment.

I also find a lathe useful - but that's a whole 'nuther investment discussion...

michael a nelson
03-31-2011, 9:29 PM
forgot to post that i have a five hp 80 gallon air compressor a 17" bandsaw
a router table(may upgrade to shaper)
i have probably all the hand tools i need (recovering Neanderthal )
and i have a jet midi lathe
i figured dust collection is probably going to run w/ducting 7000 if i upgrade to the five hp grizzly 12000 all together i have 110k to spend on the shop
structure will cost 65k
tools i expect 25k
then i have 20k left over for lumber and any other toys cough cough festools i want

Ruhi Arslan
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
then i have 20k left over...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/shift-key-led-lamp.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/shift-key-led-lamp&usg=__xFrdi2Vei3ZOYPefhnlBjDMEvRk=&h=347&w=467&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=g84BD4o4G4oScM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=128&ei=ETGVTaCqGKy_0QHx_YiDDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshift%2Bkey%2Bpicture%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1247%26bih%3D813%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C1868&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1247&bih=813189243 (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/shift-key-led-lamp.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/shift-key-led-lamp&usg=__xFrdi2Vei3ZOYPefhnlBjDMEvRk=&h=347&w=467&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=g84BD4o4G4oScM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=128&ei=ETGVTaCqGKy_0QHx_YiDDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshift%2Bkey%2Bpicture%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1247%26bih%3D813%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C1868&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1247&bih=813)

michael a nelson
03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
then i have over 20K left over

michael a nelson
03-31-2011, 10:39 PM
no disrespect but all you guys pay more attention to detail then my English teacher

Neil Brooks
03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
no disrespect but all you guys pay more attention to detail then my English teacher

And sometimes it IS a little much, but ... since you have asked about becoming a professional ... I do agree with their message.

It isn't particularly fair that people judge you buy spelling, diction, syntax, grammar, capitalization, etc.

But they do, and they will.

You're only 16. It's much easier, at your age, to get into the habit of writing well than it EVER will be, later in your life ;)

Since part of working for yourself will always BE sales ... you do not need an small things to stand between you AND a sale.

Lousy communication skills ... could BE just one of those things.

michael gates
04-01-2011, 8:56 AM
Everyone has those machines, Sure you can build with them but not fast enough to make any money. You need a Pocket hole machine, several dedicated shaper a spray booth with decent system, line borer, blum machine etc.
Go to auctions and look for deal on single phase stuff so if you ever decide to sell it will be easy to get rid of.

What types of items do you want to sell?

You need to go work at a real shop for a period long enough to see what it takes to run a real shop. Other wise you will be competing with all the hobbyist that don't care if they make a profit. You need to see what actually sells.

michael a nelson
04-01-2011, 9:17 AM
Michael, with my extra 20K i planed on buying a pocket hole machine ,a dedicated 3 sided shaper & i planed on putting a spray room in with a explosion proof fan and eventually buying a line boring machine and a blum machine

Bryan Slimp
04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Is 28 X 40 big enough with that much equipment?

It sounds like you want to run a production shop. Is there storage space allotted for carcasses and other midstream projects? What about wood storage (sheet goods, rough lumber, etc.)?

Are you located in a rural area and can easily add on later? Have you thought about having a covered outdoor porch area?

What if you are working on two kitchens at the same time?

Have you looked at other woodworker's shops near you? Have you spent time with the workshop planning tool on Grizzly's website?

As I get older I have come to realize that I ask more questions than I answer.

Ruhi Arslan
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Michael,
Here is your first lesson you have already learned on your journey to become a professional; "details" do matter when you are interacting with the rest of the World. In my humble opinion, how you communicate matters as much as, if not more, what you are trying to communicate. I, as for one, didn't know you are a young person. Since now I know, I believe you even have less of an excuse not to write somehow proper when you post for the rest of the World the read and understand what you are communicating. When you are texting one of your pals, it is in between two of you. By the way, if this what your English teacher is tolerating, he or she should not be teaching English. I have learned English as my third language and I am glad that my teachers were paying attention into the "detail".

I admire your ambitious drive to achieve big at once. Like others said, you could benefit more learning from other professionals by observing how it is done and drive to your own conclusions on what not to do. I have a sixteen years old nephew who inspired to be a chef. He is following other accomplished chefs around the World, reading their publications. He creates opportunities to meet with them. He is attending a culinary school. Every weekend, he volunteers at a wonderful restaurant, he seeks out places to intern, etc. I think same principle applies to your situation as well. You clearly have the funds. Hold on to that thought of outfitting the shop right away and let the shop and equipment catch up to you as you grow and advance your skills, both technical and professional, rather than you trying to do the catch up.

And, yes, "shift" key matters as much as "," and ".". Best of luck and much success to you.

michael a nelson
04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes,it is big enough for all the tools and i think after talking to a couple of shops in my area we might even take the plunge and go with a two story shop which will give me 2240 sqft of working area and i am planing a wood storage rack for about 50 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood at this time and i have a lumber rack already purchased which will be brought over to the new shop no i have not thought about an out door porch and i live i the suburbs so what i build is final no additions. i am planing on maybe building a shed to keep components for certain projects in. And i think i will keep my completed projects in a p.o.d sort of system or something of that sort .
p.s. the grizzly website is great i just found it yesterday

Jerry Lawrence
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I find it funny that in almost every one of the responses intended to correct Michael's English, I found errors in punctuation, spelling, grammar and proofreading. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I am usually the annoying one who corrects their posts, so yes, I think it is important. However, when correcting someone else, maybe we should try to set an example by using proper English ourselves!
That being said, yes, people will tend to prejudge the quality of your work by the attention to detail that you give your correspondence with them. It would be sad to lose jobs due to poor spelling and punctuation but it happens all the time. I also understand that not everyone feels it is necessary to put that much attention into a casual question posted among friends on an internet message board. Let's try to leave Michael with a feeling of "thanks for all your help", not "geesh! I'm sorry I asked!"
Now I'll prepare myself for the English teachers here to point out the errors in my post. :)

David G Baker
04-02-2011, 1:30 PM
Jerry L,
I noticed many of the same errors you pointed out and wondered about the pot calling the kettle black when Michael was criticized for his errors. I do not have much of an education and am very self conscious about my grammar, spelling and punctuation so I try to never comment on other folks possible errors.

paul cottingham
04-02-2011, 2:01 PM
I have to admit, I thought the same thing. I am guilty of not capitalizing sometimes, but one of my computers is a laptop with a broken hinge. I hold it open with one hand and type with the other.

michael a nelson
04-02-2011, 4:27 PM
Jerry , thank you for putting what I was thinking into words. If I wanted an English lesson I would have named my thread grammar, I merely wanted info on shop building and starting a business. I dont mind a little criticism but this has gotten out of hand.

michael a nelson
04-02-2011, 4:29 PM
Everyone has those machines, Sure you can build with them but not fast enough to make any money. You need a Pocket hole machine, several dedicated shaper a spray booth with decent system, line borer, blum machine etc.
Go to auctions and look for deal on single phase stuff so if you ever decide to sell it will be easy to get rid of.

What types of items do you want to sell?

You need to go work at a real shop for a period long enough to see what it takes to run a real shop. Other wise you will be competing with all the hobbyist that don't care if they make a profit. You need to see what actually sells.

Sorry I never got back to you I want to sell mostly cabinets

Clint Olver
04-03-2011, 9:22 PM
This is your friend:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

C

Clint Olver
04-03-2011, 9:23 PM
I used this to layout my shop, and peruse machines.

C

Kevin W Johnson
04-04-2011, 1:22 AM
1) Please use punctuation
2) You'll need an air compressor to use those air lines
3) A 2HP DC is far to small given the size of the structure and size of the tools (5HP Oneida would be a good option & would allow for some growth)
4) You need to factor in the cost of ductwork for the collector (not cheap)
5) You are -way- above 10k in costs (even if you were remodeling an existing structure). Electrical and plumbing hookups are going to be a major expense depending on where this building is located.

How many periods are missing in your post?