PDA

View Full Version : Salt box

Jim Burr
03-31-2011, 11:43 AM
This is a Spalted maple Salt Box made for a swap on another forum. 5x3 with 3 coats of Tung oil and 3 coats of WOP. Only 1 coat of WoP at pic time. I use a torsion or C-pin for the pivot and 2 rare earth mag's for a soft snap closure. Absolutely no finish on the inside. Enjoy!

Mark Hubl
03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Very nice Jim. This is a good project. Very useful. What did you use for the pivot?

Jim Burr
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks Mark! The pivot goes by different names; C-pin, torsion pin and spring pin. Don't know why..I just buy 'em.

Art Manansala
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Jim,

Very nice salt box, I've thought of doing one as well. Can you tell me where you got the torsion pin?

Also, you mentioned that the inside is unfinished - why is that? I would think the spalted wood may somehow affect the salt.

Thanks,

Art

Jim Burr
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you Art! I just saw another name for them...Roll pin. You can get them anywhere...Orchard, Depot, Lowes, Ace. See attached.
I solve the spalting possibilities by freezing and wormy or spalted wood for a month in a bag in the freezer.

David E Keller
03-31-2011, 1:38 PM
That's cool, Jim. I doubt you got my name in the swap, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Roland Martin
03-31-2011, 2:00 PM
That's a pretty neat box, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

philip labre
03-31-2011, 4:16 PM
Really nice box, Jim. I think I'll have to use the roll pin, magnet idea. Thanks!!!

Kevin Lucas
03-31-2011, 5:57 PM
Someone at our Tuesday turning just made a nice one. One hint he gave for the magnets was an 1/8th I think difference in the holes drilled for them. Slightly different sixed magnets for top and bottom. It seemed to have a nice snap to it when the magnets got close and all the grain lined up beautifully.

John Keeton
03-31-2011, 6:38 PM
Very nice project, Jim, and so good to see you back at it!! Neat idea on the lid mechanism, too.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 8:52 PM
Very nice Jim! Really like how the grain lines up!

Donny Lawson
03-31-2011, 8:56 PM
Thank you Art! I just saw another name for them...Roll pin. You can get them anywhere...Orchard, Depot, Lowes, Ace. See attached.
I solve the spalting possibilities by freezing and wormy or spalted wood for a month in a bag in the freezer.

Love the box, but what do you mean by solving the spalting process by freezing. Do you mean stopping the process or????? Maybe I missed something.

Cathy Schaewe
03-31-2011, 10:09 PM
That's really cool - something else I have to make! Nice job!

Jim Burr
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys, it's great to be sort of back!! Donnie, Art had asked about toxic splating being in contact with food. Spalt is a mold/fungus some of which has spores that can be toxic. I'll put my blank in a plastic bag and then into the freezer for 30 days...that'll kill 'em.

Baxter Smith
03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Nice job. Any trick in particular for lining up the holes for the magnets and pin?

Fred Belknap
04-01-2011, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys, it's great to be sort of back!! Donnie, Art had asked about toxic splating being in contact with food. Spalt is a mold/fungus some of which has spores that can be toxic. I'll put my blank in a plastic bag and then into the freezer for 30 days...that'll kill 'em.

I'm not sure that freezing will kill fungus spore. I store my garden seed in the freezer and it doesn't hurt it at all. I have had seed that has been in the freezer for a few years and it will germinate. I could be wrong.

Reid Strand
04-01-2011, 9:33 AM
Wouldn't the salt go a long way towards killing any fungus or mold?

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
It sure would. But the actual occurance of spores is slim...it's usually just fungus, which isn't very tasty either!

Ken Hill
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I like it! Lord knows I have a ton of roll pins, but not sure they are in shape to be used for this haha!

steven carter
04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I like the idea of the roll pin and magnets, I put these ideas in the old memory bank for use in the future. Good to see you back turning!

Jim Burr
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Baxter...I'll drill in the pin for the bottom leaving the correct length protruding from the rim. Unless there is a specific need, placement in the base doesn't matter, I just make sure it's in the middle. Take a piece of cardboard (box flap works good) and wrap it around the base...a little short is good align the gap in the cardboard with the pin in the base. Drop the lid in to the tube making sure it's as level as possible and give it a smack with something that won’t destroy or dent the top...rubber mallet is good. That should give you a mark from the pin for drilling. You're not going to have a lot of room so as a suggestion, tape your bit for depth. This can be done before final sanding or finishing so if it does leave a mark you can sand it out

Baxter Smith
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks Jim. I was thinking along those lines.