PDA

View Full Version : Nice easy job

Jeff Belany
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to share a recent good experience.

I've done a lot of leather items but mostly ligher brown, smooth & hard as used for key fobs. Some a little softer like a checkbook cover. But I had a customer bring in some black, textured leather wallets that they had for gifts for a wedding party. Wasn't sure how they would laser but offered to give it a try. After a little practicing on some scrap I dyed black I got the wallets lasered and I think they came out pretty well. Customer was happy. Only took less than a minute for each one so it was an easy job. The image is subtle, kind of like embossing, but looks nice.

One issue -- I usually use a leather conditioner after I laser but on these wallets the conditioner made the image look very weak. I just lightly cleaned them off with alcohol and they looked great.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Andrea Weissenseel
03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, this really looks nice. I've done quiet a few of them around Christmastime. Red leather also comes out very nice

Bill Cunningham
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
On Black leather I have always told the customer I have no idea what colour the engraving will be.. Some such as the one you did, turn a nice brown, but I've had them etch everything from light brown/grey to almost a bright white.. My own black wallet turn a light gray. I usually tell them the colour is dependent on the dye, the tanning process, the genetics of the cow, and the breakfast it had on the worst day of it's life..:p
This picture below is my wallet after about 5 years in my pocket, so the etch stands up well

lucas kreft
04-01-2011, 8:29 AM
those all look nice!
i once tried my name on my shoes.. didnt really work out because the bend in the shoes