PDA

View Full Version : Wireless mouse recommendations-PC?

Tony Sade
03-31-2011, 9:38 AM
Title says it all. Will see relatively heavy use in a work environment. Too darn many choices out there. (Office manager handed me a catalog and told me to pick the one I want. I count 24 possibilities.)

TIA

Ben Hatcher
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure what models you have to choose from, but I can tell you a few features that I looked for and enjoy in mine...

1. Ergo design. The mouse shape is such that it looks like a regular mouse tilted about 40 degrees to the right. This allows a more natural wrist position.
2. Wheel. For me, a must as it allows zooming through spreadsheets and web pages much more quickly.
3. Extra buttons. Mine has two extra buttons by the thumb that I can program for whatever I want. One is close the other is a browser back command. Both save me lots of time and motion.

Matt Meiser
03-31-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 right now. I got this one because it felt good in my hand at Office Max. I also have a much smaller Logitech I use for travel which has their "nano" receiver that can just stay plugged right into the laptop.

Dave Gaul
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I had this one on my amazon wish list, thinking I might get it someday for myself for use with my laptop, and my Mom ordered for my birthday back in Feb, and man is it awesome!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/7365

Jerome Hanby
03-31-2011, 10:58 AM
I hate to give kudos to MS for anything, but mice are the one product line of theirs that I find impressive.

Eric DeSilva
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I like my Logitech Revolution MX. So much so that I have one at home and at work.

Dave Lehnert
03-31-2011, 1:04 PM
I use a Microsoft 3000. Works well and uses standard AA battery. I had one that the battery cover broke. I called Microsoft and they replaced it no questions asked. It was about two years old. They did ask when I purchased it but did not request a receipt or anything.

Jim Rimmer
03-31-2011, 1:10 PM
I'm not sure what models you have to choose from, but I can tell you a few features that I looked for and enjoy in mine...

1. Ergo design. The mouse shape is such that it looks like a regular mouse tilted about 40 degrees to the right. This allows a more natural wrist position.
2. Wheel. For me, a must as it allows zooming through spreadsheets and web pages much more quickly.
3. Extra buttons. Mine has two extra buttons by the thumb that I can program for whatever I want. One is close the other is a browser back command. Both save me lots of time and motion.

+1 on items 2 and 3 (item 1 is anybody's comfort angle). I really like the scroll wheel and the BACK button. I use a Logitech RAK89D that has those two items. Both plus and minus is that it has a cradle that recharges it that plugs into the PC instead of the new USB devices. Plus because I recharge every night; minus because it takes desk space and you need to have it relatively close. I use it all day, every day and have had it 5+ years.

I've got non-rechargeables at home and the batteries last a long time.

Derek Gilmer
03-31-2011, 2:21 PM
I've had a few different logitech ones and they have all held up admirably to lots of abuse. Imho any logitech that has a charging cradle will serve you well.

Brian Effinger
03-31-2011, 5:55 PM
I've been using Logitechs at work and at home for several years now (although work & home are now one in the same). I am currently using the Performance MX, which feels good in my hand, has some extra, customizable buttons, and charges with a provided usb cable. The cable is nice, because it has an adapter to plug into a wall, and the mouse can still be used when it is plugged in.

Before making a decision, I would definitely go to an office supply store and handle the various products. Also, some of the extra features (like customizable buttons) may not be important, depending on what you do at work. I use AutoCAD heavily and some of my short cuts are programed the extra buttons.

Good luck. :)

Bruce Page
03-31-2011, 6:37 PM
Tony, I’ve been using a Logitech M705 for about a year. No complaints at all. I had another Logitech wireless that had rechargeable batteries and charging station. It costs about twice as much as the M705 and started erratically double clicking after six months.

Jeff Caskie
03-31-2011, 8:10 PM
I use a ms mouse... not sure what model. It works fine, but I have two complaints/wishes that I would look for in a future purchase

- one that has a light on top to show that it is still on (rather than having to turn it over)
- one that shuts off automatically after a specified amount of time inactivity

The second one would be ideal IMO, and maybe there are some out there which do it already. I didn't research much before I purchased the Microsoft one....

Jim O'Dell
03-31-2011, 8:23 PM
LOML and I both use the Logitech Track Ball (wired version like the one Dave linked to) We both love it. I will be getting the same one Dave linked when I replace after getting a new monitor. I will also get one of the Logitech wireless keyboards. The will both work off the same USB receiver.
The reason I like the track ball is that it is easier on my hand and arm. You don't have to move them. Now if you have problems with your right thumb, or you are left handed, it probably won't work for you. Jim.

Mike Henderson
03-31-2011, 8:26 PM
My preference is one that uses Bluetooth instead of a USB plug in. Essentially all computers support Bluetooth today so you can use your mouse without anything else. Especially important if you travel with your laptop.

Mike

Curt Harms
04-01-2011, 9:10 AM
I've been a trackball fan for years. With trackballs the wireless is less important because the device never moves, unlike a mouse. They also don't take up much room. I don't do drawing but I doubt a trackball would be very good for that. I got this most recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K72337US-Orbit-Trackball-Scroll/dp/B002OOWB3O

The scroll ring is the greatest thing since canned beer for web browsing and office type work. I wish it had a couple programmable buttons but that'd probably cut into their more expensive TB sales so firefox mouse gestures work fine. There is one common complaint about Kensington trackballs-your wrist is tilted back when using them. It's a valid complaint. Kensington includes a plastic affair which is a waste IMO. My fix was to cut a piece of 3/4" oak with about a 4" flat for the heel of my hand and then bevel about 5" for the trackball to sit on so it tilts down where the cable comes out. The bevel is about .5" drop over the 5" or so bed. MUCH improved and very comfortable, my arm & wrist are pretty much in a straight line thanks to the tilt of the track ball.

Bill Huber
04-01-2011, 9:55 AM
I have a wired mouse and love it, I hate wireless mice, it like every time your in a hurry and need to something right now,,,, that is when the batteries go dead.
I have had 2 or 3 different one and the best one was the MS mouse but it still used batteries.

Ben Hatcher
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
The model I'm using is the Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. I don't like how big the reciever is and though it says it will work within a meter, I've found that it works best if the mouse and reciever are 18" or closer. Battery life seems to be about 3-6 months with use 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week. I find it to be pretty comfortable, more so than the non-ergo versions. Your results may vary. As others have said, try some out and see what feels good.

Tony Sade
04-01-2011, 3:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies, folks. It's off to the big box I go to road test.