PDA

View Full Version : Plywood for Photos

George M. Perzel
03-31-2011, 8:42 AM
Hi Gang;
A lot of folks know I sell thin wood and often contact me looking for wide pieces for photos and other apps. here is a very economical and simple solution to the problem:

1. First of all, I prefer to laser photos on alder, butternut, or straight grain mahogany. I'm sure others have their own favorite woods but this still applies whatever.
2. Secondly, most folks wanting photos done prefer to have something which can be framed, not a plaque or slab of wood. Besides, plaques are expensive and add significantly to the total cost.
3. Thirdly, I prefer to engrave on smooth, unfinished wood-faster and better looking than an image on a finished surface.

OK-enough preamble-here's what you do
1. Go on Ebay and shop around for the type of wood you want-in a veneer. Stuff is cheap and plentiful in many varieties. I recently purchased 52 square feet of alder for $11 plus $8 shipping-came in 3 days. Try to select wide veneer to avoid seaming. Many varieties are available in wide sheets with paper backing. DO NOT GET ADHESIVE BACKED VENEER-NOT WORTH THE PROBLEMS.
2. Go to your local HD/Lowes and purchase a can of 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive-it's a spray can. Do not get the less expensive 3M photo spray adhesive.
3. Get some 1/8" or 1/4" good quality plywood- I use baltic birch but even cheap luan works for photo size apps.
4. Cut ply to size you want and cut veneer a bit over size. If veneer is wide/long enough you can do large sheet and cut later. Spray rough side of veneer and one side of ply with adhesive-cover all but don't overdo. Wait 30 seconds and the lay veneer on ply and roll surface and weight down. Dries pretty quick but wait about two hours for glue to really set.
5. Trim excess veneer with Xacto knife and lightly sand veneer surface if desired.

Quick, easy, inexpensive and requires no woodworking skills or equipment.
Have Fun!
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Scott Challoner
03-31-2011, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the tutorial George. I really like Mahogany too. It provides very good contrast. It seems to me the darker woods absorb more laser energy and get darker. I do, however, use the adhesive backed stuff without too many problems. Knowing that I can use the Super 77 likely means I can make things cheaper though.

Larry Bratton
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Good tip George.
You could also use MDF for the backer. At least it's flat. That's the issue I have with plywood is trying to get it flat enough so that it works well in the laser.

Dee Gallo
03-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Good tutorial George, thanks! And believe me folks, this guy knows what he is talking about. I bought a topographical map from him a few years ago and there are a lot of different woods glued together there from big to tiny... not one piece has ever moved or warped.

cheers, dee

Lee DeRaud
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
I do, however, use the adhesive backed stuff without too many problems.What he said. The only problem I've ever had with it is peeling off the backing sheet: I always seem to end up trying to assemble a 400-piece chunk of marquetry right after I cut my fingernails. If I need a rare species, I use the 4-mil PSA sheets from Johnson Plastics to make my own.

George M. Perzel
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Scott;
Thanks-I've has some delaminations after time with the adhesive backed stuff and it's a bit more expensive.
Larry;
Thanks-mdf is great but have trouble finding the 1/8" size around here. Regular ,cheap masonite wallboard is also great and the stuff with one white side makes a great photo base by itself-good contrast against the white.
Dee-thanks for the plug. Maps are actually made using a fish based glue, commonly used by furniture restorers. It's the same as the old Lepages stuff we used to use in school with the rubber top and slit in the rubber-was great for gluing girls hair together!
Lee-right you are-I try to keep one long fingernail but end up chewing the damn thing!
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Scott Challoner
03-31-2011, 3:54 PM
I used to let one thumbnail grow longer when I fished on Lake Erie. It made it easier to cut nightcrawlers in half. I no longer bite my nails.

Dee Gallo
03-31-2011, 4:34 PM
I used to let one thumbnail grow longer when I fished on Lake Erie. It made it easier to cut nightcrawlers in half. I no longer bite my nails.

Eeww, Scott!

George M. Perzel
03-31-2011, 5:20 PM
Scott;
Not necessary if you keep the worms warm in your mouth- grab an end of one and chomp!
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Dee Gallo
03-31-2011, 5:58 PM
GEORGE! ggaaaaaacckk!!